Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Campgrounds near Acadia National Park

Looking to camp, sometime in the near future, in or near Acadia National Park. Any recommendations about camping within the National Park or a local campground centrally located close to the park would be appreciated.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Jordan , Ontario
KOA's

Google "Bar Harbor KOA". We stayed at Bar Harbor Oceanside a few years age and had a great time. Highly recommended!
Bar Harbor Woodlands wasn't there yet. May be OK.

Happy Trails....
thomzeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We'll be there in a couple of weeks staying in Seawall campground right in the park. We've been told by many ( most recently by a park volunteer and Airstream camper) that this one has nicer, more spacious campsites than Blackwoods the other park campground. No hookups in either though if that matters to you.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
There are a number of posts here on the forums which have asked the same question. Simply do a search and you will have more information that you ever cared to know.

Having said that, blackwoods is my favorite and the most secluded and private, plus it very close to Cadillac mountain and bar harbor. Seawall is much more open and a good distance from most of the parts of the island most people want to visit. There are a number of private campgrounds with most of them being cramped. My favorite is Hadley's point because they have some sites with privacy.

Hope you have a great time.

-J

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
camping

I too stayed at Oceanside KOA last year, I'm not really a KOA kinda guy (jmo) But it was nice. I had a very large site nestled in trees completely away from everyone. I'm going back to the KOA Oceanside this year Sept 14-20 and have an Oceanside site right on the water. They are pricey but nice. I tent camped in Blackwoods and Seawall, like them both. Last year gathering info for the future I was told my 25ft trailer would get a pull through site in Blackwoods, and I was told it as that I could not get a back in site. I do not like pull through sites so that had impact. If you are going to be up there when I'm there pm me and maybe we could meet up.
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
varies , changes constantly
There are a number of parks in the area... And a free shuttle to take you from your campground to the park. Here is something to help find places to stay wherever you go

Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds
Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Having said that, blackwoods is my favorite and the most secluded and private, plus it very close to Cadillac mountain and bar harbor.
I haven't camped at Blackwoods, but I did start my hike up Cadillac Mountain from there. If you're looking to do that long but rewarding hike, it might be worth staying there at least for the night.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Crystal Lake , Illinois
We just got back from camping at blackwoods and it was very nice, wonderful rustic. Last year we stayed at the Bar Harbor Campground, where they don't take reservations, which made it easy. BHC was closer to the town, and an easier campground to use the free island busses from, they also had showers, a pool, electricity and a laundry. Also there was zero cell service at blackwoods, and phones worked fine at bar harbor campground.
LoriK is offline   Reply With Quote