Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Campgrounds in Whistler, Eastern WA?

Hi all! We're hoping to take a family camping trip next week up to Whistler BC, then down Omak and the Grand Coulee area.

Plusses are FULL (or at least electric for AC) hookups, pools for the kids to play in, or other suggestions.

We're leaving from the Seattle WA, region, then up to Vancouver BC area, then up to Whistler.

Any suggestions of campgrounds/ things to do?
Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
How are you coming from Whistler to Omak? Kelowna and Penticton are beautiful areas. (Hwy 97).
Between Omak and Grand Coulee, there is nothing but desolate road. Southwest of Grand Coulee is Banks Lake. (hwy 155) Be sure and see the laser light show on the Dam at Grand Coulee. Dry falls (south end of Banks Lake) is pretty cool if you haven’t seen it. I’m pretty sure there are a few campgrounds thru there. Further south is Lake Lenore Caves State Park.
Northwest of Omak is Concunully, there’s camping there right on the lake – I don’t remember if there’s hook-ups or not.
There’s Leavenworth if you take Hwy 2 home, or plenty of nice places along hwy 20. What's the route you’re planning?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
If you're going through Yakima on the way down or back I highly recommend the Yakama Nation RV Resort in Toppinish. Call ahead for reservations, they were pretty packed back in June when we went.

White Pass can be a good option to avoid the I-90 traffic jam if coming back on a Sunday.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Hey Marc!

This part of BC is one of our favorite areas!

Here's a link for BC highway maps http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/Transpo...lumbia.htm?S=N

We usually go from Vancouver to Hope, then up #5 to Merritt, then east to Okanagan Lake (miles and miles of lake, it's a big one). Going north on Hwy 97 takes you to Kelowna (still on the lake). Two RV parks on Lakeshore Road are Hiawatha and Lakeshore RV park. They're back-to-back, just separated by a stream (with lots of ducks). We've stayed many times at Lakeshore (it's been a few years), they have a nice pool, and were very friendly. Penticton is south on 97; it's a fun little town too.

Back down Highway 97 in the US, bhayden mentioned the yakama nation rv park. Their link is http://www.yakamanation.com/

Good luck...and think BEVERLY BEACH!!!

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
For camping around Vancouver there's the Fort Langley camp ground. It's right on the Fraser River and is well run, clean, quite large, well treed, and very laid back. Just east of Vancouver 40 minutes or so and as you cross the border at the truck crossing you are on 176th street. The truck border crossing at Blaine, WA is 176th street and the second crossing there is the Peace Arch crossing which is Hwy 99. You take 176th Street up to Hwy 1, then east to 232nd St (well signed) and follow the signs to Fort Langely. Reservations would be a good thing as many people from Vancouver and surrounding area go there to camp. And for strolling and antiquing Fort Langley is nice, not very large, and Wendell's has great food and coffee.

I can't help you with Whistler, it's too crazy up there and the road is always very busy so we go elsewhere. I'm sure others will come on with recommendations for that area.

The trip east on Hwy 1 to Hope, then Hwy 3 through to Osoyoos is very scenic, particularly as you go through Manning Provincial Park. Watch your speeds, there's a very active RCMP program on right through the summer targeting speeders and they are keeping folks pretty close to the limit. Hoping to keep the carnage down which we hope they are successful at.

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you need anything else. I live right on the Langley/Surrey border about 15 minutes north of the US border.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Banks Lake area

Hi Marc,

We've camped here a couple of times and loved it: www.sunbanksresort.com. Beautiful location right on the water!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow - you guys are great!

Mel - I'm definately going to check out sunbanks....

Ok... starting to come together...
Seattle to Vancouver area....
Vancouver to Whistler (mountain biking, stuff for kids, etc..)
Whistler to Harrison Hot Springs
Harrison to Penticton BC (horses, hiking, biking, ?boat rentals)
Penticton to Whinthrop (Omak Stampede)
Winthrop to Grand Coulee (dam and laser show)
Grand Coulee home.

Any suggestions or anybody see and problems with this? After everyone's responses, I think I'll need to go back to the BC area and just drive more North East some time - I'd also love to drive to Baniff, but that's another day.
Thanks all!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote