Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Moundsville , West Virginia
Campgrounds around Yosemite NP

I am going to Yosemite NP this summer any ideas on a good base campgrounds with full hook ups? I don't want to make any reservations because I don't like being on a schedule. I live in West Virginia and I want to take my time just looking around on my way out. I will be going west on I 40 going to the Grand Canyon then Las Vegas then
to Yosemite. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you for your attention, Jim Lawther
jimlawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm thinking that if you are going to Yosemite in the summer, you are going to need reservations.

We like to travel without reservations, too, deciding pretty much day by day where we are going. Sometimes, though, for popular tourist places, ya just gotta have them.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Well.. Without reservations you won't be IN Yosemite, and they have few Full Hookup sites (if any.. ) anyway... Since arriving from east via Sonora Pass with a trailer is really bad idea, choice depends on western approach.. From southern end, look around Mariposa area (KOA), Coursegold or Bass Lake.. (Hwy 140). From the northern approach (Hwy 120) look around Groveland or Jamestown.. Pinecrest nd Strawberry are nice, but a long drive back down 108 and over on 120 to get to the Park..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Today

Highwy 41 CLOSED today because of a crash.
Outside of Yosemite highway 140 is resticted to 45 foot over all till further notice because of land slide still under repair.This has been going on for some time.
That leaves only 120.
NO full hook up in Yosemite NP out side the ones on 120 area not the best.We are at Merced/Atwater and there is a full hook up at the Castil air museum.BUT that would be warm in the summer.Look at boondocking with jimmini under on the road this forum I post info on the area and will be going to Yostemite in May but I will be staying in my trailer here.
Yosemite is like the Grand Canyon in the summer to many folk trying to see it SO tram it or walk.If you look at res system you will see not much to pick from if any.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Here's what happened on 41 today. What a mess!
Big-rig driver in Highway 41 sulphur spill arrested on DUI charge - Updates - fresnobee.com
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We stayed at a campground near Lee Vining over the pass from Yosemite. If I had to do it, that's the way to do it again. Yosemite is so crowded we felt it better to daytrip (but we're kind of weird anyway). We also enjoyed the sights on the east side of the sierras (Mono Lake, Bodie, etc).

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
I would like to thank everyone for their help, but trying to find reservations and doing a lot of driving in and out of the park is just to stressful for me. I am just going to head west look around, maybe old ROUTE 66. Just some were that's not too crowded. Jimmy Lawther
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
We stayed at a campground near Lee Vining over the pass from Yosemite. If I had to do it, that's the way to do it again. Yosemite is so crowded we felt it better to daytrip (but we're kind of weird anyway). We also enjoyed the sights on the east side of the sierras (Mono Lake, Bodie, etc).

Pat
Pat, I thing I am a lot like you.I just don't want to fight all of those people and the heavy traffic. Thank for your help, Jimmy Lawther
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
I'm leaving for two weeks in Yosemite (one in Winona and one in the Valley) May 7. I booked this trip six months ago. If you book now you might be able to get in early Oct when school is in session. Otherwise for get it till next year
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
A couple of years ago we booked sites at the KOA in Mariposa with a friend, and Sunday took off to go in to the park.
Unfortunately we were there over Memorial weekend...and so was everyone else. We spent over an hour trying to get to the entry gate at YNP, and then gave up because our friends were on thier Harley and it was a way hot day, sun blasting, Harley heat baking them from below. We went into Mariposa-town & just kicked back, had a nice dinner at, I think, the Charles Street restaurant, but didn't get in to the park. Timing, etc, and we may go in mid-September for better weather and smaller crowds.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
If you're willing to go without hook-ups, you can still score Yosemite campsites in the valley. Just keep checking the recreation.gov website or call the reservations number. We just got 3 nights for this upcoming weekend (although your distance requires far more planning than mine). Also, half of the campsites in Tuolumne Meadows are first-come, first-serve. You do have to get there early, but the views are sublime and it's quiet. We go to Yosemite twice a year, and I'd never go in Summer unless I had to. Shoulder season is April through mid-May and August-September are glorious, and you can get around so much easier.
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Dahlonega , Georgia
Hard place to get to!!!

We're at Grand Canyon now and after a few stops (Death Valley, Kings Canyon) have reservations at Wawona May 14-18. Looks like we may have to go all the way to hwy 120 just to enter the park. I'll be checking as we get closer to May 14!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Yosemite from the east

My wife has wanted to see Yosemite for some time. We will be in that area in the last half of September. Is it feasible to stay somewhere near US-395 and see the park from there? Will we miss any of the prime scenery?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Do not miss Yosemite

Do not skip Yosemite you will miss something that you will never forget. Yosemite has beautiful sites they are just dry. Pads are paved with bear boxes. If nothing else spend the day. At the top of 41 you can pull off near the wawona store. Than drive down in the morning. Make sure you go down with a full tank of gas, there are no stations in the park. Check with the ranger sometimes they have a non booked site that were cancelled last minute. They have parking area near the store in the valley and in the hotels. They do check the vehicles at night so you can not overnight in the parking lots. You can rent bikes, hike or just drive around the valley ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9044.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	166930   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6251206.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	166931  

Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
If you dont have reservations in the valley and you want to stay in the Le Vining area then stay in the June lake loop and book a day trip to Yosemite using the YART bus system and let someone else worry about the drive and parking. The YART bus stops in the loop across from Silver Lake or at the Mobil Mart on 395 and 120
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I don't know if I too late to the party

If you haven't gone there yet...from the eastern side (Hwy 395), I have stayed at Mono Vista RV resort. (Lee Vining) It is a very nice place and the people who run it are very nice folks. (They don't at least the last time I stayed there take credit cards...checks or cash only). It is only a block or two from the eastern road into Yosemite (Hwy 120). Insider tip...if you go this way there is a gas station just one block west of Hwy 395 on 120...it contains the Whoa Nellie Deli. It is a restaurant that isn't what you'd expect in a place like that. Very Cool.

I also have stayed at the KOA in Mariposa. Actually it is in Midpines. It is on the west side of the park and a lot closer to the Yosemite Valley. It is on HWY 140.

Both have full hook-ups.

The phone numbers are:

Mono Vista: 760-647-6401

KOA Midpines: 209-966-2201

I hope this helps.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
camp sites Yosemite

Were you willing to boondock? We stayed off the highway 120 going into Yosemite just as you go out of Lee Vining. Plus being late September there are some campgrounds before you get to the gate. Saddleback Lake, and 2 others. I would bet that time of year you should be able to find a spot. Plus out of Tuoallamne or however that is spelled you should find something. I didn't like that one when we stopped by to see someone. Wall to wall camping. For September, especially those sites close to the gate and inside of Yosemite, you are at elevation, so the nights should be chilly. Also Crane Flat. Lots of places that are first come first serve, so good time of the year to get those. Once you are in Yosemite, it isn't really that much driving. Plenty of hikes outside of the valley plus inside. Don't forget to eat at the Mobile Station in Lee Vining. Great repast and I always make it part of my trips.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote