Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #15

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
If you dont have reservations in the valley and you want to stay in the Le Vining area then stay in the June lake loop and book a day trip to Yosemite using the YART bus system and let someone else worry about the drive and parking. The YART bus stops in the loop across from Silver Lake or at the Mobil Mart on 395 and 120

subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I don't know if I too late to the party

If you haven't gone there yet...from the eastern side (Hwy 395), I have stayed at Mono Vista RV resort. (Lee Vining) It is a very nice place and the people who run it are very nice folks. (They don't at least the last time I stayed there take credit cards...checks or cash only). It is only a block or two from the eastern road into Yosemite (Hwy 120). Insider tip...if you go this way there is a gas station just one block west of Hwy 395 on contains the Whoa Nellie Deli. It is a restaurant that isn't what you'd expect in a place like that. Very Cool.

I also have stayed at the KOA in Mariposa. Actually it is in Midpines. It is on the west side of the park and a lot closer to the Yosemite Valley. It is on HWY 140.

Both have full hook-ups.

The phone numbers are:

Mono Vista: 760-647-6401

KOA Midpines: 209-966-2201

I hope this helps.

Randy Bowman

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
camp sites Yosemite

Were you willing to boondock? We stayed off the highway 120 going into Yosemite just as you go out of Lee Vining. Plus being late September there are some campgrounds before you get to the gate. Saddleback Lake, and 2 others. I would bet that time of year you should be able to find a spot. Plus out of Tuoallamne or however that is spelled you should find something. I didn't like that one when we stopped by to see someone. Wall to wall camping. For September, especially those sites close to the gate and inside of Yosemite, you are at elevation, so the nights should be chilly. Also Crane Flat. Lots of places that are first come first serve, so good time of the year to get those. Once you are in Yosemite, it isn't really that much driving. Plenty of hikes outside of the valley plus inside. Don't forget to eat at the Mobile Station in Lee Vining. Great repast and I always make it part of my trips.

BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote