Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1997 34' Limited
christiana , Tennessee
Campgrounds around Boulder, Co?

If anybody could suggest any good campgrounds private, state or Fed that would be terrific. We will be heading to Boulder, Co. on July 17,2011 for a wedding and have no idea were to start.
We have a 34 ft and I like shower facilities.
Also any must see things you could suggest to this Tn boy, while we are there?

clint3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Lots to see in Colorado, and you'll be right in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Checkout the National Parks Web site to get an idea of what's in the area as far as NPS campgrounds:

The first parks that come to mind are Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park and the Pike's Peak, down near Colorado Springs. Both are great destinations in the warmer months. (Also great in the winter, but cold, cold, cold!)

As far as campgrounds, the Denver/Boulder area seems to have very few in town, although there may be some residential trailer parks that have transient sites (usually not the best). One place that is beautiful, but not very close is Chatfield Reservoir/State Park. It's just below the foothills in southwest Denver and probably 30-45 minutes away from Boulder (perhaps longer in rush hour). Spaces are spread out with lots of open areas, with grass and a some trees, picnic tables, BBQs and firepits, with full hookups. There are also recently renovated bathrooms, showers and laundry facilities. It might not be real close to your wedding, but it's pretty close to most of Denver, and conveniently located near the freeways (but far enough away to avoid any noise). I think it is in the city limits, but it feels like you are farther out of town.

As for other things to see, just head up into the mountains and you'll never leave Colorado...

Also, if you venture into the national parks, get the annual pass. It's $80, but you'll break even after a couple of entrance fees; and it's good for the next 12 months! If you're 62, the senior pass is $10; and it's a lifetime pass, with 1/2 off on most NP campgrounds. More info on the NPS site.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master
That's a tough one. Golden Ridge at I-70, Colo 470 and Colfax about 16 miles away. There is a KOA at I-70 and hyw. 7 about 24 miles away, but it is nothing special.
There is a campground in Central City about 25 miles away if you like to gamble.
Golden Ridge is probably your best choice but it is popular, make Reservations ahead, particularly around the 4th. There is nothing in Boulder.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
There are some camping facilities at Carter Lake, southwest of Loveland and close to the entrance to Big Thompson Canyon. I lived at the lake until 1981. The facilities were pretty sketchy when I left, but I drove around the lake 2 years ago and the facilities had improved. I commuted from Carter Lake to Boulder for 16 years.

Carter Lake is an irrigation and power generating reservoir and is west of the town of Berthoud. The ride up Big Thompson to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP is great.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
We stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden in October 2009. Very nice and clean!
Charlie M
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
We've stayed several times at Boyd Lakes State Park which is right on the east edge of Loveland. The Lakes are nice and the facilities are good. We stay there when we visit my sis in Broomfield. There is not much in the way of commercial camping in the Denver-Boulder metro unless you want to fight traffic. As you already know a lot of the forest service and state campgrounds won't accommodate our 34 footers.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Golden Gate Colorado State Park is the nicest camping some what close to Boulder! Open most of the year. The second best (one of my all till best forest service camp grounds) is Camp Dick, an original CCC built camp ground. It is on the "Peak to Peak highway, south of Lyons CO. A third option, is the Moraine Park camp ground in side Rocky Mountain National Park. Your best option is Golden Gate State Park....

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
good one

Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
We stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden in October 2009. Very nice and clean!
we stayed there and would go again. its in golden and good for dogs too. close enough to bolder. short ride good resturants near and shopping as well as all the other colorado stuff we love. check out their website
"Open paddock 9!"
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Jefferson County Fairgrounds has an RV park as well.

RV Site Rental - Fairgrounds - Jefferson County, CO

Boulder County Fairfgrounds here
RV Park Reviews :: Longmont, Colorado ( CO ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

City of Golden has quaint little campground on the creek.City of Golden Colorado - Where the West Lives! - Clear Creek RV Park

Here are a few more suggestions.
"62 ATW Overlander, '51 Flying Cloud
'67 GT, '90 Squarestream 29ft, 06 Bambi, Bigfoot slide in/GMC Denali K2500, Marathon Coach, Class A.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Dakota Ridge is what I meant. Golden Ridge is a condo project nearby. Sorry, senior moment.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Check this site for RV parks near Boulder:

RV Park Reviews :: Longmont, Colorado ( CO ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

In the upper-righthand corner, there is a list of other nearby cities with RV parks with hookups.

I saw one RV park at the Boulder County Fairgrounds. It didn't sound like a vacation destination, but it's in Boulder and might be OK for one or two nights for your wedding.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder co, campgrounds, travel