Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Campground Within 30-45 Minute Commute to Fairburn, GA

Good morning!

Does anyone know of a good campground within a 30-40 minute commute to Fairburn, GA? We have to go there for a work related stay. I've read here in the past that traffic is really bad around Atlanta at times. Fairburn is South to Southwest of Atlanta.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Old 04-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We stayed at a KOA south of Atlanta once, that was decent.

Traffic is terrible there, that is for sure.

Maggie

Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
RV Parky shows a South Oaks Manufactured RV & Mobile Home Park at IH 85 and Collinsworth Rd which is 30 miles away from Fairburn, GA.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie! I just checked, and if it was the one in Forsyth, Ga, drive time is 1hr, 19mins, which my DH won't want to do twice daily for this project.

SteveH, thank you for that info, but on another forum I was told about one on Collinsworth Rd, and a couple of other posters said to stay away from it. However, the one you mentioned may be a different one -- I'll check it out.

Problem we're having is that there aren't many South of Atlanta.

Deb
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know nothing about the park I mentioned, other than where it is, so cannot help you with a recommendation.

The name itself implies it's certainly not a "destination" type park.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Approximately 40 to 50 miles south on I-85, is Lake West Point, (R Shaefer Heard campground) a federal park, is nice, with many campsites being lakefront. Approximately 20 miles east is FDR state park in Pine Mtn., GA, also a nice campground. Rosevelt's Little White House is nearby.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Approximately 40 to 50 miles south on I-85, is Lake West Point, (R Shaefer Heard campground) a federal park, is nice, with many campsites being lakefront. Approximately 20 miles east is FDR state park in Pine Mtn., GA, also a nice campground. Rosevelt's Little White House is nearby.
Couple of good ideas there, Tinman.

Hey Deb, this is Jim. I'm an Atlanta native and I can tell you traffic in Atlanta isn't bad, no, not bad.......IT'S HORRIBLE, to be avoided at all costs.

The best idea is to stay south/southwest of Fairburn. North/northeast of Fairburn is basically where the traffic nightmare begins.

Tinman's suggestions are good ones. We've stayed at FDR State Park as well and it is a nice park. Word of caution is that it has only water and electric hookups, as do most Georgia State Park RV sites. Callaway Gardens is nearby and is all in bloom just about now. If you're into azaleas, it's worth a trip this time of year. Look for commercial campgrounds around Pine Mountain, Georgia.

Haven't stayed around West Point Lake (yet). SIL's family camps there and they love that area. Also look around Newnan and MAYBE between Newnan and Peachtree City. Peachtree City is also crowded and I don't like the way traffic is routed in either area (read: traffic around the city areas in both places).

There's a couple of ideas for you. If I have time, I can do some searchin' for you on the 'net.

Jim

P.S., I drive around this entire area for work every day. don;t appreciate it much anymore.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Here's one: http://www.rvcoutdoors.com/pine-mountain/

Don't have any first hand knowledge, though.

Air No. 6427
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Newnan , Georgia
campground near Fairburn Ga

There is a new campground near Newnan Ga Chattahoochee Bend state park it's about 10-15 miles from Fairburn. The campgrounds at west point lake are nice also the pine mt campgrounds are about the same distance as west point lake from Fairburn
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
McIntosh Reserve Campground in Carrol County is beautiful and fairly close to Fairburn.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh my goodness, thanks so much everyone for your suggestions!! I'll check them all out.

One major problem we have is we will be down there for an extended time -- like weeks. So, unless we move every two weeks, that pretty much leaves out state/federal campgrounds.

We thought we had found one in Austell, until several people warned us that the crime rate is very high around there.

It's beginning to look as though we will need to do the moving every two weeks thing -- I think once we leave a state-federal campground we can't return there for 30 days; I'll have to check into that.

One place that we're thinking about is Atlanta South RV Resort in McDonough -- does anyone know anything about this one? I Googled drive time from McDonough to Fairburn and it routed North to the Atlanta outer belt and back down again for a drive time of approx. 44 mins, if I remember correctly. But there again, he might run into the Atlanta traffic on the outer belt. I was wondering if there would be a road going across from McDonough to Fayetteville to Fairburn -- or another cut across someone might be aware of.

Thanks again everyone, and please, if anyone thinks of any others, please let us know!

Deb
Old 04-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Newnan , Georgia
fairburn ga

There is a cut across rd look at Hiway 16 it goes from I-75 to Newnan Ga. You don't want to go toward Atl on 75 in the morning or evening major traffic jam.Have you checked Pine Mt RV Campgrounds?
Old 04-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There is a decent campground near Callaway Gardens. We stayed there in June. fDR is a fine state park there too, but I would think long term, security would be better at the Callaway gardens park.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Atlanta South RV Resort in McDonough -- does anyone know anything about this one?

Actually, we live near there. If memory serves, that was one of the original KOA's from way back when......maybe in the '60's or '70's? I drive past there several times a week. I'll try to go in there and take a look around one day this week and check it out. We've never camped there, but I seem to recall from a drive thru several years ago that it had turned into a semi-permanent parking spot for some folks. Read: kinda run down. I'll check it out for you if I can.

It may not be a good choice for another reason. The traffic between there and I-285 is really bad. It's rough on a normal day, but right now, that piece of I-75 is under construction. Take a look at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper for today. There's a front page article about that (and othere road projects along that corridor).

There is a back way to get to Fairburn from there, though. But it's not really any faster. You can go from the campground to Jonesboro to Fayetteville to Peachtree City to Fairburn. Lots of traffic lights going that way. Still, in a pinch, it may work for a couple of weeks if needed.

Get back to you soon.

Jim

Air No. 6427