Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Campground Suggestion - Powell, Wyoming Area

The Silverbees and our two mini schnauzers are planning a trip next summer to the Powell, Wyoming area. I would appreciate any suggestions as to good campgrounds in that area. We usually like full hook-up and hopefully something scenic.

The trip would be from Raleigh, NC to Powell, Wy. Any suggestions on a good route (and routes to avoid) and things to see on the way would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom & Deborah

Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We just visited Powell last month and really liked it. We parked for free part of the time at the Homesteader park in Powell, but there aren't any hookups. I don't know what your experience is with mountain driving, but there are two routes through the Bighorn Mountains and we made the mistake of taking the steep one. Maybe they are both steep, but the one we took was downright scary.

sputnik goes: View From the Top of the World

aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
We just visited Powell last month and really liked it. We parked for free part of the time at the Homesteader park in Powell, but there aren't any hookups. I don't know what your experience is with mountain driving, but there are two routes through the Bighorn Mountains and we made the mistake of taking the steep one. Maybe they are both steep, but the one we took was downright scary.

sputnik goes: View From the Top of the World
Highway 14 out of Dayton (northern route) has a really steep climb, but for a somewhat short distance. Then the road sort of levels out at the top (relatively speaking). Then it has a really steep descent east of Lovell. I think this is what was concerning Aluminitus.

Highway 16 (southern route) out of Buffalo doesn't seem quite as steep, but climbs for a greater distance. It doesn't seem to level out at the top, but goes up and down all the way to the Powder River Pass. Then it's mostly downhill all the way to Tensleep (if you're travelling west). There is a series of switchbacks east of Tensleep that will keep your attention, but I don't think they're as bad as the ones near Lovell.

I don't have numbers to support these assertions, but this is my perspective from driving these routes hundreds of times.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Visiting Powell, WY

Thanks for the feedback on the roads. This is helpful.

The only campground that we have found so far is 15 miles from Powell, the Ponderosa located in Cody, WY. Has anyone stayed there?

Thanks,
Tom & Deborah
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We stayed at the Ponderosa 4 or 5 years ago and liked it a lot. Good location and of course Cody is a hoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We also camped off of Highway 16 out of Buffalo. The road's manageable, and by all accounts easier than the northern route. We'd do Highway 16 again in a heartbeat. A really beautiful area.

wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote