Old 05-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Without a doubt, the best time to cruise up the California coast is the fall. The fog is usually gone (a biggie), the crowds are gone, and the weather is unbelieveable. Be prepared for awe inspiring views! Sept/Oct are just beautiful on the coast. Also, you will have no problem with getting sites without reservations (impossible in summer).

The prices will get better as you get away from the population zones. Don't let the price stop you- EVERYONE should drive the west coast at least once in their lives. Few places on Earth like Big Sur or redwood groves up north.

The Oregon State Parks on the coast are some of the nicest anywhere in the country. Can't go wrong in any of them. So go do it, you won't be sorry!

"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
West coast

I agree with Big Dee. I went to Graduate school there in Monterey at the Naval Postgraduate school. The last six months of school, I bought my Limited and lived in it while finishing my thesis; I was at the Monterey Pines campground, the Navy's military campground on the golf course behind the farigrounds there in Monterey on whole #12 for $12 a night (military - this is an awesome little place right there in Monterey, new in 97). I used to mountain bike at Laguna Seca alot, and I wish I was there on the west coast now....a great place for a rally. Have fun out there at it. From 96-97, I lived in Big Sur, and yes, the coast is awesome. I'd love to take my Caravel up the Old Coast highway, from the Bixby Creek bridge, south to Big Sur, stopping in the red woods to enjoy the scenary. I used to bike that 12 mile route too....Wish I could be there.

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn Baker
Do you Listen to the
Plymouth, NY 13832
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders -

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If anyone is traveling South on I75 in Florida, by all means stop at High Springs Campground at exit 404. $20+tax per night, full hookups,(good water pressure!) pool, GREAT showers, and a laundry. It is a small place, quiet, lots of shade. In fact, every site is shaded.
I spent almost 4 months there. Paid $195 a month, plus electric, which ran around $25.
I really hated to leave there, but we have a new house, er mansion, now.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Ouch! How much do these people think that a lowly campground-owner-on-vacation can pay for a site, anyway? ( ).

In all truth, some of them do get out of line, in my view. Last month we traveled over to the Grand Canyon and stayed at the RV park in Tusayan, outside of the south entrance. New owners, appearently. They've doubled their rates: We paid $44/night + tax for a water-electric site (no sewer). To make matters worse, the place was pretty dirty, and the dump station was covered with nice, dried human feces; the water faucet at the dump station was out of service. Ugh!

Personally, I hope that the new owners listened just a little to the many complaints that were voiced even while we were there. We've heard from others of our guests here that the place used to be relatively clean and reasonably priced.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
$154 for 6 nights is only what? A little over 25 bucks a night? Not too bad considering where you are.

Thanks for those links!

And for all of us, remember, with a Golden Eagle or Golden Access card, fees at all national parks and other federal fees for CoE, BLM, etc, are one half off!

So, like if you want to camp at Sugarbottoms, 85MH325, it will be half off, making it a REALLY great deal! LOL

Elizabeth in Iowa
The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think its a little more than supply and demand - its a return on a campground owners investment - if they don't get a decent margin, might as well just keep money in the bank. With the change is ownership, I suspect the new owners paid dearly for their campground.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
koa s are expensive on either coast. try the koa in ft mill SC just south of Charlotte NC $33 plus tax per night.water and electric under a pine tree. pull thru on gravel. my book said $25 it was in error. motel 6 was $38, they did provide directions to the closest wal mart rock hill NC. and it was nice and quiet, one other mh and a tractor trailer at the other end of the lot . don't like to stay at wal mart but before i pay over $25 i will. the weekly rates weren't outrageous. all i wanted was a place to park for the night with ac, didn't need or want water. really didn't need ac either.
i don't stop at KOA RV parks normally. i have one of the koa directories and i don't find any i want to waste my money at.
2007 chevrolet 2500 duramax 6.6
allison 6 speed
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Originally Posted by Ken J
I think its a little more than supply and demand - its a return on a campground owners investment - if they don't get a decent margin, might as well just keep money in the bank. With the change is ownership, I suspect the new owners paid dearly for their campground.

Good point, Ken. Real estate prices are exhorbitant on the Left coast. Somebody's got to make the mortgage for those folks who provide the service for us. I think the entire economy thing there is just out of hand. A buddy of mine has 10 acres of parched earth way the h*ll out in Jamul Ca. He bought it for $200k about five years ago, put a nice manufactured home on it with a garage and sunk a new well. It's worth something around $600k now. It was a great investment for him, but it's just an unreasonable amount of money for what's there. Yet, someone will be chomping at the bit to toss their cash down when he's ready to sell.

Campgrounds and just about every other inch of real estate have become overvalued in CA in the past twenty years. It's scary. The result is $55 for a $15 campground spot and $200 for a $37 motel room.

Oh, and MaxandGeorgia... take your trip. You'll not be disappointed. Use the WBCCI directory and stay overnight in member's driveways whenever you can. Use your contacts here on the Forums to line places up. Stay in the expensive places when you have to, but make the trip. There's nothing like the drive into Yosemite over Tioga Pass, or the winding drives through the Redwoods. Seventeen mile drive is incredible. It'll be a trip you'll never forget. Stay at the campground in Morro Bay in the shadow of Morro Rock. You'll love it!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Pine , Colorado

Did anyone see the Travel Channel show on the best RV Parks? The one that caught my eye was in Austraila. You can get an RV suite! It has a nice bathroom w/ shower and washer and dryer right at your nicely bricked and landscaped pad. Neat idea if people would actually pay for this! Don't remember the cost though. I guess it kinds negates the camping feel but I don't like having to walk to the restrooms in the middle of the night when it's cold....guess we better get our hot water and toilet working soon!
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Originally Posted by Big Dee

I have reservations at Panamint Springs for Christmas time! Can't wait to be in the desert again! It's so unbelieveably beautiful in the morning. No light pollution, no noise pollution- just relief for the senses!
It is also the darkest place I've ever been and that's saying alot. There is no light pollution, and if there is no moon, it's a star gazer's dream. Everyone else should not step out without a flashlight in hand. When we were there, there were campers literally walking into things trying to get to the bathrooms. Of course, it may have changed since I was there, but I kinda liked the dark. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly when we were there, and the beer on tap is a treat. We would definitely go back just for the atmosphere and to sit under that enormous pepper tree. If you like to explore, check out Darwin (the town) and Cerro Gordo
Also a hike to Darwin Falls is fun too.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Originally Posted by eubank
Last month we traveled over to the Grand Canyon and stayed at the RV park in Tusayan, outside of the south entrance. New owners, appearently. They've doubled their rates: We paid $44/night + tax for a water-electric site (no sewer).....
sorry to hear that Tusayan is so bad. If we couldn't get a spot at Trailer Village (in the Park), we would have had to stay there.

Originally Posted by Cedars
$154 for 6 nights is only what? A little over 25 bucks a night? Not too bad considering where you are.

Elizabeth in Iowa
The rv park is clean and the staff is friendly (as all US Park Concessions must be) and well laid out. "In season", free shuttle busses take you anywhere on the South Rim every 15 minutes. Because the full time staff population is so huge, there is a nice grocery store and post office. The biggest drawback for us folks who use campground showers is that the showers and laundry are over by the tent camping area and you have to take a bus, or walk quite a ways. I don't know for sure, but you may be able to drive and park over there (I guess I'll find out in Dec)

Also interesting is that check out/check in time is 12 noon. I like that. In a hotel it makes sense so housekeeping can do their thing, but at an rv park, I don't quite see why check out is 11 or 12, and check in is 3 or so. Although most parks let you in before anyway if it's after noon.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi all,
We have had really good luck with They feature the parks run by the army corps (?) of engineers. We're staying this weekend in Ortona , which is 50 miles east of Fort Myers, and the price is only $10.00 a night, with all but sewer hookups. The dump stations are well maintained, as are the shower/rest rooms. It is beautifully landscaped, with barbecue grills, and firepits. Each site has a covered picknic table. It's also on the river, and we get to watch the drunk boaters try to navigate the locks.

I sound like a commercial for them.

KOA is high, except in north Georgia near Chattoonaga. We paid $28.00 in October during the fall colors and the hotels were running about 120 a night.
Just my 2 cents worth.
When people lie to you, and refuse to honor their word, don't regret trying to follow a dream, new adventures and friends await you.
sd90mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
The West Coast Run

Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Now you make me worried. One of our trips in the future was going to be that drive up the California, Oregon, and Washington coast, camping in the AS, and taking our time. Your post makes it seem not as inviting as we thought it would be. What is a best time of year to make such a trip, when weather is good but crowds are down--or is there such a combination? We land locked Missourians think it sounds like a great trip, but you who are out there or have lived there, know the scoop. Please advise-tips, warnings, and so on. Maybe others are interested too. Thanks.
Hello: Sherry and I have lived in Calif all our lives, and have made the Northern Coast run several times. We are just buying our first A/S, and will make the drive again but it may be a few years due to other circumstances.

About the trip. Could go on for hours. As another poster noted, starting for example at Morro Bay, there are two campgrounds. Morro Bay State Park has great hook up sites separated by trees. Whole campground full of Eucalyptus. Golf course next door is great and walking distance from campground. A more private c/g is Montana de Oro. Must see campground and area, off Los Osos. Often will see deer, sea otters, sea lions.

This is a small start. Let me much more general in thought.

Summer is really out. Kids, kids, and more kids. If summer is the only time, then Calif is out, including Big Sur, the Redwoods, all of it as you will never get a state campground unless you book 7 months in advance, and even then you will not get the site. Everyone books at 8:00 am pst 7 months in advance for these great camping areas on the coast near redwoods, or whereever. Best bet would be Oregon and Washington, doing better the further north you go.

Best case scenario, start in April in California and camp until June 1 getting finally to Port Townsend in northern Washington. When school gets out, go to Canada, see the Everglades in the summer in Canada, and make your way back home.

Just a few randon thoughts.

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We just started looking for places to camp in the Florida Keys in February. Looks like $80 a night is the minimum for full hook ups.

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote