Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Some campgrounds have just a few rules (expecting the rest to be common sense) and other have rules that go on and on. I don't care either way - it's their campground.

My pet peeve is the campground that has rules that it doesn't enforce. One of my favorite CGs is in Pigeon Forge, TN. Perfect in every way except that it has no hosts and no employees on site during the night - and this is a large CG. When we had late night unruly neighbors there was no one to call. The next day the CG employees told me that if it happens again to call the police department and they will come into the CG to address the matter. Really? I'm sure in a tourist location like Pigeon Forge local law enforcement would rather be doing something other than policing campgrounds.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Perhaps a different topic on campground rules in general. While I'll start with a dog example, that's not the point - please, no breed discussions. Let's stick to the concept of rules...

In a recent discussion around dogs on leashes, a perspective was shared by Dexterpix and McDave that suggested (my inference here) that the rules aren't about leashes per se because owners who have trained their dogs well can command them to stay or heel and that's as good as a leash.

In an effort to talk about all campground rules, I thought we could use this as an example to start a different conversation regarding why the rules matter.

If we start with leashes, we could say one aspect about this surely ISN'T about leashes, I'll agree there. However, that aspect is only from one's perspective as the owner.

The reason why a rule about leashes would matter (as far as I can see) is from the perspective of everyone else in the campground (with or without dogs, with or without certain physical disabilities, with or without prior experience of being told by other owners their dog is under control yet that was not their experience, whether or not an exceptionally well trained dog follows a primal instinct jumping to his death chasing another animal that enticed it....all examples we're heard elsewhere).

The perspective of the anxiety some dogs (mine for sure) experience when on a leash and another free roaming dog approaches "her territory" is key. I don't believe for a second the owner who lets his/her dog roam free intends any harm. However, my dog was nearly choking herself at the end of the leash, crying and howling at the sight of a "free range hound". The fact that I had to ask the owner to pay attention to his own dog, off leash, walking in to our site (owner not even watching his dog or listening to mine clearly in distress about it) shouldn't ever have to happen.

So yes, had that owner trained his dog better, been paying more attention, acted more responsibly, the issue wouldn't likely have happened. But that's still not the point. My uncle was a cop with a K9 partner. The training was long, extensive and expensive. Most owners don't come near that level of training with their pets and even the very best trained animals are animals and can from time to time do animal things.

At the end of the day, rules (like the leash rules) are there for reasons. If there were an off-leash campground, I would be happy for all the off-leash proponents to attend to their hearts' content. But I would never sign up for something like that myself.

So why obey the rules? Because failing to keep your animals on a leash at a campground that requires it means you're making me sign up for something I didn't. And that's really the point.

So perhaps we could discuss the value of all campground rules and their impact not only on each of us as individuals and all other fellow campers. What do you think?
Great preamble!
What was the question

Rules were made for the guidance of wise men, and the education of fools.
I don't consider myself to be a wise man or a fool; therefore I ignore them.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
2. The park has a huge waterfall, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, & one of the lookout points is on a steep drop off with a 5 ft chain link fence. As we stood talking pictures one man in his twenties climbs over the fence & is hanging on & days to his buddy take my picture. We were in stunned silence.
Whats the most common last words uttered before dying? "Watch this..."

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post

Greg
Or worse "Hold my beer and watch this!"

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post

Greg
Oh--I thought it was "Hey, y'all--watch this!"
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
No ones story ever starts out with, I was drinking a bottle of water..........

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FWIW and OT -- The Darwin Awards reveal a number of "Famous Last Words" scenarios.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #48
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
I didn’t want her dog around me because it was disgusting. It was nasty, and I didn’t want her filthy mutt drooling all over my beach stuff.
Wow!

Quote:
But more than that, my wife is NOT a dog person and goes out of her way to avoid all dogs. This one was particularly revolting to her.
You can say that again!

Quote:
Whether to prevent bodily harm from a vicious dog, or protection from the disease of a mangy mutt, or simply peace from the unwanted affection of an overjoyed puppy, there are rules.
Thankfully
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
New York State Parks

For entertainment, I like to look at the intricacies of the New York State Park rules posted at each washroom. It's a full poster of fine print which includes such gems as:
  • Any term in the masculine shall include the feminine and neuter;

• The provisions of this Chapter shall be effective within, upon and in the airspace above all property that is presently or shall in the future be under the jurisdiction, custody or control of the office unless otherwise

• Traffic using the driveway to the regional administration building, Red House Area, Allegany State Park, shall travel one-way in a north-to south direction. (this is in the general rules for all parks!)

• No person shall cause or permit the interior of a motor vehicle to be closed from view, except those vehicles designed or used for camping purposes and then only when being used for camping.

• (j) Minors.
    (1) No person having custody or control of a minor shall permit such minor to do any act in violation of a rule or regulation of the office. Minors under 10 years of age shall at all times be under the supervision and control of a parent, guardian or responsible custodian.
    (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subdivision, within the twelfth park region minors under six years of age only shall at all times be under the supervision and control of a parent, guardian or responsible custodian.
  • (f) Disorderly conduct. No person shall do any of the following:
    (1) disobey a lawful order of any officer or employee of the office or the directions of any sign erected by or at the direction of the office;
    (7) spit upon grounds or other surfaces;

Reading the list of rules makes me think that a lot of things have gone wrong in the 131 year history of the New York State Parks that ended up being dealt with by lawyers.

On the other hand, we've had pretty good luck with the conditions of NYS campgrounds, so maybe the extensive list of rules is working!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Great topic, SteveSueMac!

Although we might stop for one night stays on our ways to destinations, most of our time in the Airstream is spent for stays of between two weeks and 3 months in campgrounds that have become favorites.

In our opinion, rules unfortunately are extremely important. Both to deal with the lack of awareness/respect that many younger Americans extend to each other (as others have mentioned), but also to set expectations and raise awareness or head off potential dangers of which a new visitor might not be aware.

As to leash rules, boy is that a hot topic! We are dog people. Our last dog was a quiet, handsome package of love. He was a rescue dog, and was afraid of all male humans except my son and I for about a year after we met him and slowly introduced him to more people, but expressed his fear by staying away, rather than attacking. During his entire 17 year life, he never bit a human being--ever.

That being said, we always kept him on a leash in campgrounds--except in designated dog run areas (both of our primary long stay parks have these.) This was not so much (in this case) of "you never know" as it was because of the possible perception of other people who might have had actual negative experiences with dogs, or don't like them, or just a fear of dogs or animals in general. It's just not courteous.

At one of the two parks, we recently had a terrible experience with a large dog (standard poodle) who WAS on a leash. The problem was that his owner really did not have control of the animal--even on the leash. The owner and his wife are extremely nice people who have been acquaintances of ours at this park for years, and their dog has always been affectionate and playful with me when I am in their domain. While walking with my son around the park, we were approached by the dog owner and his dog on leash. He stopped to say hi and to meet my son. They shook hands, and as my son's hand returned towards his body, the dog lunged forward and crunched his male parts. Fortunately, he did not hang on. We rushed him to the ER (there were puncture wounds, but fortunately no permanent discernible damage). The sad part is that as people came up to express their sympathy over the next few days, we found that there had been four other incidents with this dog biting people at this park.

The park's manager will no longer allow the dog to be in the park without being muzzled. A leash rule was, in this case, not enough. And the dog owners are agonizing over whether they should put the dog down.

So, yes, you never really do know. And as much as both my son and I LOVE dogs, it has certainly given us a different attitude and made us much more cautious. Always ask the owner if it's OK to approach the dog.

In the other campground, where we typically stay for most of the summer, the recent new owners (very nice people) do not project the same authoritative manner as the previous owner. Sadly, the beautiful lawn campsites have been steadily deteriorating, as people are allowing their dogs to relieve themselves on the lawn outside the trailer, instead of walking them to the block long (!) dog run area that's just a few yards from the campsites. I know that for an overnight or weekend camper, this just doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's been interesting to see the difference in enforcement policy and resultant move towards shabbiness. When combined with backing fifth wheels and big trucks over lawns for those less skilled, it's really a shame. The owner has shared with me that he's considering removing all of the lawn and replacing with gravel, and that would seriously change the experience of camping among mature trees (lots of Japanese maples) in paved, level campsites surrounded by lawn.

So, yes, campground rules are important, and sometimes not for obvious reasons if you are staying for shorter periods of time.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #51
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
(1) No person having custody or control of a minor shall permit such minor to do any act in violation of a rule or regulation of the office. Minors under 10 years of age shall at all times be under the supervision and control of a parent, guardian or responsible custodian.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subdivision, within the twelfth park region minors under six years of age only shall at all times be under the supervision and control of a parent, guardian or responsible custodian.
The 12th park region must have some very mature and responsible seven-to-ten-year-olds to allow only them to go without adult supervision!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Rules are for inconsiderate and STUPID people, but unfortunately inconsiderate and stupid people don't generally follow rules. So there you are, even with laws, like do not steal or kill, some people still do. The age old adage that locks are made for honest people, still applies. So what is the answer? You must go on living and know in your heart that in this world, there are inconsiderate and stupid people. Pray for them.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The 12th park region must have some very mature and responsible seven-to-ten-year-olds to allow only them to go without adult supervision!
The 12th Park Region is New York City. They start them out on their own at a younger age to ensure that they fulfil the promise "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere."

Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #54
Debbstr

2005 25' International CCD
Four Oaks , North Carolina
I follow the rules because I was an offender.

The leash rule is important for the safety of your pet and for others. We have been campers for 20 years, campers with a pet (specifically a dog) for a year and a half. We had way better control of our children camping over the years, than we have had of our dog. On our second trip with our puppy when she was about 9 months old, I stepped out of the trailer for a minute to get something and thought the leash was not necessary because we were going to come right back in. Well the leash was necessary, our puppy took off down the hill, across a little creek (I was shocked because she was afraid of water up until then) and onto a little patio area where a lady was holding her terrified little toy (I do not know what type). My puppy wanted to play with her dog, in the process she scratched the lady's leg. The lady happened to have very thin skin and well you can probably imagine what happened next. It took me a little time to get to my dog and get her away. I was mortified at the damage I had caused, I apologized profusely, bought a gift for the lady (and her little dog) and I have never let our dog off of the leash at a campground ever again. Our dog is much better behaved than she was last year but she only gets to run free at home (we live rurally) or at the campground's dog park. I learned my lesson the hard way and at someone else's expense.
Debbstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Campground Rules - why?

I learned at a very early age from a well-respected Boy Scout leader that the basic rule everyone needs to follow is this:

"Your rights end where someone else's begin."

Looking at this discussion, I think that is the crux of all we have noted about rules and following or not following them. It's fairly simple, and if this concept of respecting the rights of others catches on, camping may be even more fun.

Unfortunately, there are some that have no grasp of this basic concept out there....this leads to a massive proliferation of rules upon rules that still get ignored. Sad.

Fortunately or not, in some cases a disregard for the rights of others, or common sense safety rules leads to a "Darwin event" and more often that sometimes fails to wipe out other than the innocent. Apparently "common sense" is becoming less common nowadays.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Great preamble!

What was the question

😂

Yes. I'm wordy.... 😀

I think folks got the gist though. Very good discussion so far! Thanks, all!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
what bothers me the most about rule following these days is the notion that an increasing number of folks seem to have: you and yours better follow all rules to a t, but it's ok for me and mine to break them. e.g, I don't trust your dog , he better be leashed, but my dog is small and wouldn't hurt a flea so it's fine if he wants to roam. Aaaaargh!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
I don't trust your dog , he better be leashed, but my dog is small and wouldn't hurt a flea so it's fine if he wants to roam.
Small doesn't mean harmless. The Dachshund is #25 in the top 35 most dangerous dog breeds based on reports of dog attacks over the past three decades. Even though there are 24 breeds that are more dangerous to people, the lovable weenie dog is notable for being the smallest full-grown dog on the list, ahead of ten bigger breeds.

The reason for the cutoff at 35 breeds? Those 35 breeds are the ones that have hospitalized and/or killed at least five people in three decades— not counting military and police dogs. Of course the list doesn't account for dog-related injuries that aren't reported or that did not require hospital treatment.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #59
did
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , California
No rules.....let anarchy reign.
did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have had Rotwielers for 20 years and have many issues at campgrounds trying to make reservations. I respect that and understand the concern, however, let me tell you, I have seen many small dogs that are a real problem because of the way they are trained. I'd rather feel the love from my Rotti then hear the yap from somebody's trophie.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote