Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
what bothers me the most about rule following these days is the notion that an increasing number of folks seem to have: you and yours better follow all rules to a t, but it's ok for me and mine to break them. e.g, I don't trust your dog , he better be leashed, but my dog is small and wouldn't hurt a flea so it's fine if he wants to roam. Aaaaargh!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
I don't trust your dog , he better be leashed, but my dog is small and wouldn't hurt a flea so it's fine if he wants to roam.
Small doesn't mean harmless. The Dachshund is #25 in the top 35 most dangerous dog breeds based on reports of dog attacks over the past three decades. Even though there are 24 breeds that are more dangerous to people, the lovable weenie dog is notable for being the smallest full-grown dog on the list, ahead of ten bigger breeds.

The reason for the cutoff at 35 breeds? Those 35 breeds are the ones that have hospitalized and/or killed at least five people in three decades— not counting military and police dogs. Of course the list doesn't account for dog-related injuries that aren't reported or that did not require hospital treatment.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #59
did
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , California
No rules.....let anarchy reign.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have had Rotwielers for 20 years and have many issues at campgrounds trying to make reservations. I respect that and understand the concern, however, let me tell you, I have seen many small dogs that are a real problem because of the way they are trained. I'd rather feel the love from my Rotti then hear the yap from somebody's trophie.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Look most people will follow the rules but you will have some that don't. They don't even read anything that's posted on a sign. How do I know this I work at an RV park and people don't read anything. You can have picture signs they still don't read them. So you just tell them over and over and hope they get it. Now most people will get it the 1st time but there's always that one that doesn't. Oh well just breath and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
I agree with Protagonist & I have 2 big dogs. There are just so many people on today's society rules around controlling pets are just needed.

I find it interesting how passionate some are on this thread & a previous thread about leash rules at campgrounds & they start off saying everyone needs to keep their dog on a leash BUT my dog is voice controlled & sometimes they are not on leashes when they are with me, etc. These folks really don't see the rule as applying to them.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #63
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Some county park campgrounds have a "no alcoholic beverages of any kind" rule. While we understand and appreciate the rule is aimed at preventing public inebriation and associated obnoxious behavior, we'd rather see them post a rule that says "No public inebriation and associated obnoxious behavior," so we don't have to drink our wine from a Tevis tumbler and say discretely to each other, "Would you like me to go inside and get you a little more of that lovely grape juice?" We've never had a problem as we assiduously avoid engaging in public inebriation and associated obnoxious behavior, but since we're talking campground rules...

We have found that "No Drinking Allowed" really means "No Drinking Aloud".

Be discreet, out of plain view, and you usually are not hassled.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:31 AM   #64
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
As far as dogs, our 12+ year old mini dachshund is blind. Since she does not see other people and pets walking by our site, she does not bark. When the unleashed dogs spot her, and come up to her, she can't escape as she is leashed, and will try to defend herself. Always, I have to yell, kick at, and heard this free roaming dog back to the owner, who always says "My dog is well trained, friendly, etc". I point out their dog was not trained, as it came onto my site and attacked my dog, and they did nothing to keep their dog on the road. Even after my dog is snarling back at their snarling dog, they do nothing to call their dog or, most often, they call their well trained dog who ignores the commands. If it happens again, I note what site they are on and complain to park management about these types.

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
We have found that "No Drinking Allowed" really means "No Drinking Aloud".

Be discreet, out of plain view, and you usually are not hassled.

Tom
TVKetchum

So for total transparency - our local unit has a rally at a state park that says no alcohol is allowed - and yet, we have happy hours. No one is forced to drink alcohol, but a good many of us (myself included) do imbibe.

So my complaint about unleashed dogs can be seen as somewhat hypocritical as I'm willing to bend the rules elsewhere.

Guilty as charged.

In my defense, I can only offer that regardless of the number of adult beverages I may have consumed, I've never bit another person (or dog). Though that's no excuse...

And honestly - if dogs are unleashed but do truly stay at their own campsites with their owners all curled up in a ball and don't lumber on to other campsites and rile up the leashed dogs, I can be ok with that (as I can be ok with the camper who pops a beer or two at a campsite where alcohol is prohibited). I think it becomes a problem when the spirit of the law (not necessarily the letter of it) is violated.

What do you think?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #66
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I think it becomes a problem when the spirit of the law (not necessarily the letter of it) is violated.

What do you think?
As far as I'm concerned, rule #1 is, "Don't make problems for your fellow campers." If you can adhere to that rule, then I don't mind if more specific rules (leashes, alcohol, etc.) are violated, because those violations aren't causing a problem for anyone.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rule 1. Do not instigate arseholisim.

Rule 2. Do not bend too much when others instigate their own aresholism against you and yours, (within the confines of the law, sound judgement, and reasonable decorum of course... )

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Rule 1. Do not instigate arseholisim.

Rule 2. Do not bend too much when others instigate their own aresholism against you and yours, (within the confines of the law, sound judgement, and reasonable decorum of course... )

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

This resonates. 😀

I used to work at a company whose cultural expectations and rules started and ended with "Do the right thing."

That feels like anti-arseholism to me!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #69
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
Not much success observed in trying to change others' choices/behaviors. OTOH, lots of success by changing one's own choices. One solution we like is to always avoid the typical "cheek-by-jowl" rv parks, instead seeking CoE sites, little-known county parks, primitive Nat'l Forest sites, deserted stretches of beach, and similar. These work best for us and also for our love-to-run-run-run dogs, who, by our choice, get to channel their inner dog while not bothering other folks or their animals.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #70
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Regarding the birthday party, there is no rule against waking up early next morning and somehow setting the car alarm off as u fumble with the keys.

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote