Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there have been many times that campers have been obnoxious, [or breaking the camp ground rules] but it always seems that they do it at night when the office is closed and no way to contact them. The next morning, either the rule breakers have left or we are leaving. [or both] I have learned to just ignore them, or put up with it, and be glad that they don't live in the house next to mine.

Thankfully, on our random trips, we seldom run into these people and we mostly have one nighters, or at the most, stay in one place for about a week. We find most campers to be nice and friendly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #22
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
If a campground has no control over kids riding ATVs 24 hours a day, I am unlikely to stay there a second time.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #23
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm generally a rule follower. I don't hesitate to go to the campground host if I have a comment, but I try to do so very carefully. I know I put the host in a stressful situation. (If someone's music or generator is running when it shouldn't be.)
We very rarely have issues with other campers. We've never taken our dog with us, so we don't put up with others letting their dogs run lose.
I'm thinking that as a whole AS campers are probably more courteous to camp next to than most, but that's just an assumption.
I do love campfires, and we've never turned on the TV set in our AS. We are almost always outside..
The private CGs in Missouri, along the public float streams are a disaster. We camped there one weekend with the kids. (Memorial Day wknd) it was all night partying. No rules, no control. I mention it just as a FYI, if you camp in Missouri and you like rules.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Part of the problem lies in the fact that so many people fail to understand the difference between rights and privileges. A right is granted to you by law; an inalienable right by law cannot be taken away from you. A privilege is granted to you by the mutual consent of all interested parties and can be taken away at any time, hopefully but not necessarily for just cause.

At a campground we all have privileges granted to us by the campground owners in exchange for paying our fees and following their rules. But if we fail to uphold our end of the bargain, we have no right to complain about losing our privileges in return. Pity that more RVers don't understand the distinction.
This is a perfect summation.
Thanks!
Bruce
Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
You'd think rules for safety would be a no brainer to follow - right? Let's see the downside could be loss of life...hmmmmm. We just returned from Yellowstone & I really have respect for those park rangers. Here are the safety rules that we saw tourists ignoring.

1. While at hot springs there are signs everywhere that say walk on boardwalk - ground unstable- water is boiling, etc. you get the point. First day we were there in 3 separate occasions people walked from the street around some smaller boiling hot springs to get to the board walk. One lady wasn't paying attention at all & I called out for her not to step into the hot spring as that was her next step. She actually looked annoyed with me.

2. The park has a huge waterfall, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, & one of the lookout points is on a steep drop off with a 5 ft chain link fence. As we stood talking pictures one man in his twenties climbs over the fence & is hanging on & days to his buddy take my picture. We were in stunned silence.

I don't even know how parks will ever get folks to care about their own safety

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Part of the problem lies in the fact that so many people fail to understand the difference between rights and privileges. A right is granted to you by law; an inalienable right by law cannot be taken away from you. A privilege is granted to you by the mutual consent of all interested parties and can be taken away at any time, hopefully but not necessarily for just cause.

At a campground we all have privileges granted to us by the campground owners in exchange for paying our fees and following their rules. But if we fail to uphold our end of the bargain, we have no right to complain about losing our privileges in return. Pity that more RVers don't understand the distinction.
Yes, Sir...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
People never start campfires when the wind is blowing into their own trailers.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #28
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you're concerned about smoke, stay out of Ohanapecosh campground at Mount Rainier National Park. The campground is in a natural bowl, and an official wood-seller goes around the place every afternoon selling wood for campfires. Then, each evening, everyone lights up a fire. The air is so thick with smoke at night that you'd find cleaner air by sleeping smack in the middle of 5th Avenue in the heart of Manhattan during rush hours.

Campers buy that wood and also forage about in the woods next to their campsite looking for smaller branches to break, chop and burn. The latter violates a whole mess of NP rules, but it doesn't slow them down.

Aside from that, it's a gorgeous and wonderful place to camp. We loved it, but to save our lungs we'll probably not camp there again any time soon.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Yes, Sir...
My comment wasn't meant as a criticism of you— it's just that your comment made me think of what I wanted to say. If you thought otherwise then I owe you an apology.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Campgrounds or 'RV resorts' are actually a little above societal norms, IMO. People are so rude & self absorbed these days it's ridiculous. Cut you off in traffic, jump in front of you in a store, boom their taste in music at you, etc ! Because of this generally bad behavior, we have rules we may or may not like. The places we've traveled have been populated with generally pleasant people who are respectful of others. the occasional loud music, or unleashed dog notwithstanding, seems like most folks in charge do a pretty good job 'refereeing'..... just sayin. . . . regards, Craig..........
Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Early in my career(s) I was a UPS driver. There were 2 common statements, normally said pretty close together:
1. Don't worry, he/she doesn't bite
2. Goodness! He/she has never done that before

Once, after statement #1, I was walking with a poodle firmly attached to each leg, biting my pant leg and growling. I had one owner tell me, after their Irish Setter sat quietly behind a screen door, "He must like you, he went through that screen at the last UPS driver". I have many other stories but you get the idea.

Dogs are animals and as such, they are NOT 100% under verbal control. I couldn't care less about the intensity of training.
Dogs will go past an invisible fence
Dogs will chase you while their owners are yelling at them
Dogs will defend their perceived territory from anyone they feel threatens it

For the past 18 years I've been a runner, same story, same 2 sentences. I carry mace and I've used it. If the owner is there I tell them if their dog bites me they will be getting a letter from a lawyer, I will sue. Win or lose, they're going to court. They call me every name in the book. One lady even said "well, he doesn't like you". I said, "...and you let him out without a leash?"

Some animal "lovers" seem to think the rules don't apply to them. They don't seem to care about others' feelings and how much a dog running at full gallop, barking and snarling, will scare someone. I go to the camp hosts, park rangers, anyone in charge.

We no longer have a dog but when we did, she was on a leash/chain or behind a gate/door. If there were visitors I made them aware of our dog. Other than the rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels, our dogs never chased anyone.

Rules are rules and apply to everyone. Follow them and everyone will have a good time.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
People never start campfires when the wind is blowing into their own trailers.

Pat

I am DEFINITELY the exception to this rule! Earlier this month (at the CoE campground I mentioned), I intentionally opened our screen doors and turned on the fantastic fans to draw the woodfire smell in to our trailer. For the next week in storage, I stopped by once or twice to catch a whiff and remember how great it was. When we took it out the following week to a site that had no fires (and it was rainy all weekend anyway) the smell faded away to not being there anymore and I was really bummed out.

I'm not making any of that up. I truly love the smell of a campfire. I do get bummed when the wood is isn't really ready but if I am forced to buy that from the campground, I go with it.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
This is an interesting topic.

We have only been campers about a year now, but the few times that we have had annoying or unpleasant experiences, it has had to do with our "space" feeling violated.

Campgrounds put strangers pretty close together. For this to work well, there has to be a common understanding that one's campsite is ones "domain". And that it is impolite to impede on another's domain.
...snip...

I can imagine the rest of the scenario you described. Ugh.

And I wanted to share something related to this concept too. At the same site where I mentioned the loose dogs, the camper next to us in a motor home didn't back in (as everyone did to their sites, but he went in face first. Not necessarily a big deal, until you realize he just put his outdoor living room in my outdoor living room.

Not the worst thing to happen to us, but it did feel like an insensitive violation of our space.

They too used it as a base for a family gathering so when they brought the 3 kid couples and 5 grandkids out - ok, everyone should have a good time - but it's a bit intrusive.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I had a job that put me in peoples homes with their dogs for decades, I never did get bitten.

My strategy was simple, when I perceived what might have been a threat, I squared up to stay facing the dog while intently thinking while meaning it, "if you try and bite me, I will kick you to death".

I think dogs can perceive this.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
You know, its simple...it all boils down to showing our fellow travelers/people some respect. That's all. But society has changed (look at the politics)....its all about MY wishes and MY satisfaction and MY way of doing things that's important....
I miss the respect we used to exgtend to our fellow beings. Lets practice it, and safe travels. Respectfully: jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
The emotion on this topic is like politics and everyone has a strong opinion. In the end it is a rule just like a posted speed limit or a rule that you have to park in your campsite and not on the road. That's it - follow the rules - all the rules. The rules aren't applicable to some people and not others and we accept those rules before we drive up, sign in, and set up.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Usually, the people who complain the loudest about rules are people the rules were created for in the first place.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
This does not matter. RV folks, including Airstreamers, pick and choose their own rules. That is my observation. Still better than a hotel room with all kind of strange noises coming from the next room!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Camped at Letchworth SP in NY a month ago. A family of 7 ignored rules and signs to stay out of the river. There are 3 waterfalls there and wouldn't you know, they were all swept over the lower falls. 5 Were seriously injured and 2 youngest children killed. The father may be thinking a long time about following rules, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to sue, stating that there should have been a fence.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #40
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some people are terribly afraid of dogs and while I enjoy the company of pets I have always thought animals on a leash is a good idea. Especially in campgrounds.

Not everyone has good common sense. Hence we have rules.