Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Many rules have a basis in practicality, but some are ridiculous.

This just is.

Anyway, when I have my dogs in a strange and public place the three young ones will always be on a leash, mainly because I don't want them to be killed by a vehicle, the old one is usually on a leash but not always.

There is a park that we liked to stay at in southern AZ, due to insurance requirements our Boxers and several other breeds were disallowed.

We did not know this until we arrived the last trip there, but they allowed us to stay there for the night. We haven't been back since. Insurance coverage is a good reason for a rule that both the park itself and we are stuck with, so I respect their rule.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Oh, the story we heard for the breed ban was thar an unleashed small dog ran up to a leashed dog that was being walked and started a dog fight.

The bigger leashed dog unfortunately killed the smaller dog, and the owners sued the park and prevailed.

Go figure.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Friends of ours had an encounter at a campground just a week ago while walking her two 30lb dogs, a 100lb german shepherd came strolling up to them off leash, growling, and the owner appears and says something to the tune of 'oh he doesn't like other dogs', and tells his dog over and over 'don't attack!' - well, he attacked! Luckily my friends dogs both survived, but one got tore up and got a visit to the vet. The vet was kind enough to look him over for free, and all he had was a cut on his tongue (I guess it bled a lot and was pretty horrible looking, but the vet said they couldn't really stitch it up). I hope that guy learned a lesson about his dog-hating german shepherd. I can't imagine anything worse to let loose in a crowded campground!

I have never had a problem with any of the rules at the campgrounds we've visited. They are all just about making sure you don't annoy the other campers, who all just want to have a nice weekend too. Most of it is just about being courteous.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Rules.... Play nice... Give and earn the respect you expect..

Campgrounds might take a clue from the local theater industry. Turn off the phones or we'll kick your A$$ out!

Have them sign this:
Rule: "all Dogs must be leashed"
Rule 2: "you must obey the rules as you expect your dog to"
Rule 3: "disrespect of any rules and you agree to quietly pack up leave and lose your camping fee"
Rule 4: "tell your buddies we follow the rules here.

Requiring decent behavior of "guests" by campground owners may put them out of business. That is not what we want. Right? I think there may be at least one campground owner on this forum..who might pipe in.

Look around...each sets their own behavior as they want... As a people we are more island builders than bridge builders.

I demand my "right" to shove it in your face. And you must "embrace and celebrate "... Or you will be ostracized. Ahem... Ok.. I will say "no"..It is worth it because it is about my eternal soul. I respect your ability to choose a path for yours.

Seems folks have lost discipline because it "harshes my mellow"... It defies the reality of how the world works...instead some are shocked when we reap the whirlwind.

So, the tiny infractions of "off leash" and campfires are but a whiff of the whirlwind.

How do we change it? Ask the campground owner to enforce the "rules" or Pack up, unplug and go home.... Or camp elsewhere.

I enjoy the company of others... Even Airstreamers!!! But I promise, my rights end where yours begin. I will follow the rules or move on...

I have my dog leashed...
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
But I promise, my rights end where yours begin. I will follow the rules or move on...
Part of the problem lies in the fact that so many people fail to understand the difference between rights and privileges. A right is granted to you by law; an inalienable right by law cannot be taken away from you. A privilege is granted to you by the mutual consent of all interested parties and can be taken away at any time, hopefully but not necessarily for just cause.

At a campground we all have privileges granted to us by the campground owners in exchange for paying our fees and following their rules. But if we fail to uphold our end of the bargain, we have no right to complain about losing our privileges in return. Pity that more RVers don't understand the distinction.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #20
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
cwf and I would be great friends if we lived closer to each other!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Rules.... Play nice... Give and earn the respect you expect..

Campgrounds might take a clue from the local theater industry. Turn off the phones or we'll kick your A$$ out!

Have them sign this:
Rule: "all Dogs must be leashed"
Rule 2: "you must obey the rules as you expect your dog to"
Rule 3: "disrespect of any rules and you agree to quietly pack up leave and lose your camping fee"
Rule 4: "tell your buddies we follow the rules here.

Requiring decent behavior of "guests" by campground owners may put them out of business. That is not what we want. Right? I think there may be at least one campground owner on this forum..who might pipe in.

Look around...each sets their own behavior as they want... As a people we are more island builders than bridge builders.

I demand my "right" to shove it in your face. And you must "embrace and celebrate "... Or you will be ostracized. Ahem... Ok.. I will say "no"..It is worth it because it is about my eternal soul. I respect your ability to choose a path for yours.

Seems folks have lost discipline because it "harshes my mellow"... It defies the reality of how the world works...instead some are shocked when we reap the whirlwind.

So, the tiny infractions of "off leash" and campfires are but a whiff of the whirlwind.

How do we change it? Ask the campground owner to enforce the "rules" or Pack up, unplug and go home.... Or camp elsewhere.

I enjoy the company of others... Even Airstreamers!!! But I promise, my rights end where yours begin. I will follow the rules or move on...

I have my dog leashed...
Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there have been many times that campers have been obnoxious, [or breaking the camp ground rules] but it always seems that they do it at night when the office is closed and no way to contact them. The next morning, either the rule breakers have left or we are leaving. [or both] I have learned to just ignore them, or put up with it, and be glad that they don't live in the house next to mine.

Thankfully, on our random trips, we seldom run into these people and we mostly have one nighters, or at the most, stay in one place for about a week. We find most campers to be nice and friendly.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #22
Tin Man

1983 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
If a campground has no control over kids riding ATVs 24 hours a day, I am unlikely to stay there a second time.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I'm generally a rule follower. I don't hesitate to go to the campground host if I have a comment, but I try to do so very carefully. I know I put the host in a stressful situation. (If someone's music or generator is running when it shouldn't be.)
We very rarely have issues with other campers. We've never taken our dog with us, so we don't put up with others letting their dogs run lose.
I'm thinking that as a whole AS campers are probably more courteous to camp next to than most, but that's just an assumption.
I do love campfires, and we've never turned on the TV set in our AS. We are almost always outside..
The private CGs in Missouri, along the public float streams are a disaster. We camped there one weekend with the kids. (Memorial Day wknd) it was all night partying. No rules, no control. I mention it just as a FYI, if you camp in Missouri and you like rules.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Part of the problem lies in the fact that so many people fail to understand the difference between rights and privileges. A right is granted to you by law; an inalienable right by law cannot be taken away from you. A privilege is granted to you by the mutual consent of all interested parties and can be taken away at any time, hopefully but not necessarily for just cause.

At a campground we all have privileges granted to us by the campground owners in exchange for paying our fees and following their rules. But if we fail to uphold our end of the bargain, we have no right to complain about losing our privileges in return. Pity that more RVers don't understand the distinction.
This is a perfect summation.
Thanks!
Bruce
Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
You'd think rules for safety would be a no brainer to follow - right? Let's see the downside could be loss of life...hmmmmm. We just returned from Yellowstone & I really have respect for those park rangers. Here are the safety rules that we saw tourists ignoring.

1. While at hot springs there are signs everywhere that say walk on boardwalk - ground unstable- water is boiling, etc. you get the point. First day we were there in 3 separate occasions people walked from the street around some smaller boiling hot springs to get to the board walk. One lady wasn't paying attention at all & I called out for her not to step into the hot spring as that was her next step. She actually looked annoyed with me.

2. The park has a huge waterfall, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, & one of the lookout points is on a steep drop off with a 5 ft chain link fence. As we stood talking pictures one man in his twenties climbs over the fence & is hanging on & days to his buddy take my picture. We were in stunned silence.

I don't even know how parks will ever get folks to care about their own safety

Jane
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Yes, Sir...
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
People never start campfires when the wind is blowing into their own trailers.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #28
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
If you're concerned about smoke, stay out of Ohanapecosh campground at Mount Rainier National Park. The campground is in a natural bowl, and an official wood-seller goes around the place every afternoon selling wood for campfires. Then, each evening, everyone lights up a fire. The air is so thick with smoke at night that you'd find cleaner air by sleeping smack in the middle of 5th Avenue in the heart of Manhattan during rush hours.

Campers buy that wood and also forage about in the woods next to their campsite looking for smaller branches to break, chop and burn. The latter violates a whole mess of NP rules, but it doesn't slow them down.

Aside from that, it's a gorgeous and wonderful place to camp. We loved it, but to save our lungs we'll probably not camp there again any time soon.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote