Old 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
check those out :
Indian Point Campground | RV CAMP REVIEW
Lakehead Boat Basin | RV CAMP REVIEW

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Duluth, MN area camping.

Having lived and traveled this area for many years I suggest Lakehead Basin first, City of Cloquet downtown CG second (right on the St. Louis River with beautiful facilities and a short drive from Duluth), Two Harbors third and if these are booked, consider Ashland, WI fifty miles east right on the Lake. In Ashland, right on the water next to the marina and old ore dock is a city CG with water and elect. (dump station nearby) for a MODEST fee. Last year it was $20 and you are close to many things to do besides being an hour from Duluth. Just NW of ashland, still on the Lake is Washburn, WI city CG with elect. and community water. Dump station in CG.

Things to do and events happening? Log on to Welcome to Lake Superior Magazine - Online, a regional magazine website celebrating the Lake Superior lifestyle. You will get more help here than you need, but they have been doing this for thirty years.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks dufferin & tomp for additional suggestions. We hope to get reservations nailed down by end of this week.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
You are more than welcome,

I wish you a great trip, it's all about it!

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
So far, Indian Point is full and Burlington Bay's voice mail says they're open, but may be 4-5 days before they can return my call. Still working on some of the other suggestions. One problem is that I found out we are coming in on the tail-end of the Tall Ship Fesitival, which appears to be a very big deal. I hope they're still there when we arrive.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think we stayed at Indian Point last year. I know we were at the city CG and south of town. It was not too easy to find, but a nice old place to stay. The host gets to stay in a Silverstreak. Very retro place; lots of big old trees. Maybe a spot will open up.

The city CG in Grand Marais is another find. We were camped next to another old aluminum trailer, though I can't remember the brand. We never saw anyonre staying in it though.

If you get to Grand Marais, try to take a drive along the Gunflint Trail. There's a nice FS CG at the end of the road. We didn't stay there, but we did stay at a CG on Gunflint Lake. I can't remember the name of it either but it had "Gunflint" in the name. Good views of the lake and run by nice people.

Wish I could remember, but check the usual CG books for more info.

Gene
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #21
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks Gene,
Adding to my list of possibles.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks again to all for helpful suggestions in nailing down a camping spot in the Duluth area. Man this area, for this time of year, must really be popular. With the Tall Boat Festival going on during our time frame, most everything was full. Called five places in Duluth and four were full and one had closed. Anyway, ended up doing one night at Cloquet/Duluth KOA and then driving about 110 miles up the coast to Grand Marais for five nights. Looks like a great park!! Looking forward to again visiting this beautiful state.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We enjoyed Duluth. It's an older city and major Great Lakes port. The lift bridge is a big deal there and it's fun to watch it go up and down. Unlike most such bridges, the bridge operator rides up and down with the bridge. On the island on the other side of the bridge are some good restaurants.

There ares some good restaurants in Grand Marais also. On the Gunflint Trail we met a moose on the road who just stared at us for a while before she slowly moved out of the way.

Gene
Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We already have reservations at Indian Point during the Tall Ships week. My wife attends the Lawyers Convention at the Convention Center there each year. Stop into Indian Point and say hello if you're there.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #25
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
We already have reservations at Indian Point during the Tall Ships week. My wife attends the Lawyers Convention at the Convention Center there each year. Stop into Indian Point and say hello if you're there.
Thanks for the invite. May swing by if schedule permits, but probably won't have a lot of time unless we decide to drive back down from Grand Marais. Love your quote about bringing shotgun's for mosquito's. Passing that along to my traveling compadre's.