Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Campground Recommendations, Youngstown, Warren Ohio Area

Hey everyone, as part of our first year on the road full time, my wife and I are stopping in Syracuse, NY to visit her father and have some custom work done in our Airstream. Afterwards, we're visiting my family in Youngstown, Ohio before picking up I90 and heading west.

My original plans involved staying at the campground that I spent nearly 9 summers at growing up with my grandfather, Willow Lake Campground in Warren.

But, unsure if that will be viable. Wondering if anyone has any alternative recommendations in that area.

Most of my family I think is around Girard.

One of the things I have planned is to take my wife to Mill Creek State Park where I grew up hiking.

Your input is appreciated in advance.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Campground Recommendations, Youngstown, Warren Ohio Area

RustBelt RoadTour '15!!

My advice is a little simpler, Dad. It's planning lunch. Where to stop for an hour or more. Establishing the long day rhythm of travel for family with small children. And having to set up camp at the end. Day by day.

Work the daily fuel stop around that lunch spot. And rest areas or similar every 100-miles from departure. If lunch is at about the four hour point of travel time -- not total time -- and lunch as made by yourselves or from a selection at www.roadfood.com and you use a travel speed of 57-mph it is fairly easy to zero in on where you will be as the day progresses.

. (Time the stops and log to see how Mom and kiddies are doing; is 15 or 30 minutes better for breaks; or 60 or 120 for fuel and lunch? Learn what works for low stress).

Then use travel references to attractions and they will jump out at you based on above. Trust to spirit. Prepare the ground.

I'd be stopping at at Lehman's Hardware, to be specific. And I might sneak it by the wife with a scenic and culinary tour which just happens to go past there. A reward for no cranky wife and kids after days on the road. That's the real Dad job.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Umm........
Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Bold,

I'm not sure if this will help, but, we've camped at West Branch State Park. Nice facilities, as with most of the Ohio State Park system, but I don't know if winter camping is available. A quick check on the state park website will probably give those details. Since you grew up in the area, you probably already know it's about 25 - 30 minutes from the Girard-Youngstown area.

If you're planning ahead to the spring or summer (which seems better for a trip to Syracuse), somewhere here on the forums there is a thread that some very active Ohio Airstreamers use for informal weekend rallies. They're great folks and always welcoming. They also know the best spots all over Ohio.

Good luck and safe travels,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
West branch is open in the winter, I believe. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer