Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
campground in the California gold country

Hi, we're looking for a place in the California foothills, along highway 49 to camp in June sometime, either with hookups or not, that could be a good base to explore the area. Any thoughts are appreciated
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Stockton , California
Pardee Dam or Hogan Dam are good inexpensive parks to camp. Hogan is 11.00 a night with the State park pass. Also Melones Reservoir is great for fishing. Large fish in Pardee. All are close to the Gold Country activities. Lots of camping areas on hwy 4 just off 49. Lots of beautiful lakes. Alpine lake, Mosquito Lake, Spicer Lake is a beautiful campground and good fishing.
silvercabin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey, thanks, those are good suggestions.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I'm not sure if this is the type of place you are looking for, but I found this place absolutely beautiful.

Lodging, Camping, and Weddings in El Dorado County Gold Country | American River Resort, Coloma CA

It's not to far from some relatives I have in CA and I'm considering staying there myself if I get out there this summer.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey Midnight, actually, that looks kind of good! My first thought was to look for not such a developed site, but I think I'm going to check into it. Coloma sounds like the kind of place I/we want to visit.. Thanks

Peter
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We've seen the 49er Village RV park in Plymouth featured on television, and it looked good for full-hookup RV park on Hwy 49.. We also have friends that swear by the Coloma Resort, which is 100 yards from the State Park where gold discovery took place, and is on the south fork of the American River...

After an eventful trip from Reno to Jackson in the snow several years ago, which involved decision to drive from Auburn to Jackson with trailer on Highway 49, I sincerely urge you to avoid trailer towing ON the highway, and drive up most direct route from Hwy 99, and then explore without the trailer... Hwy 49 varies from goat path to logging road to crowded windy residential street in that area..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
So, a little off topic but speaking of 'California gold' country, how cool (or strange) would it be to have Huell Howser at an Airstream rally? maybe he could do a show about it.....that would be AMAZING!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hey Midnight, actually, that looks kind of good! My first thought was to look for not such a developed site, but I think I'm going to check into it. Coloma sounds like the kind of place I/we want to visit.. Thanks

Peter

The wife and I really enjoyed the Gold Discovery Site the last time we were there. The little history center was very interesting to me. Tons of sites to see in that area and can easily fill the time that you plan on spending in the area.

We plan on being in that area most likely the last week of June or early July. We are currently RV less (story for a different day) so we will probably be doing hotels this trip if that status doesn't change soon. But if we find what we are looking for, we are going to try and book American River Resort. We had a great time there the last time we stayed there. The KOA near Cameron Park/Placerville isn't bad also, but I preferred ARR.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
I just checked out American River Resort too. Looks like a great place. I've been dying to take a trip to the gold country. I grew up taking school field trips to the gold country and getting to pan for gold. Mr. Mod is from New York and has always wanted to pan. Anything like that around this resort.
Looks like a beautiful site. Globie, mind if I tag along? I promise I won't sing too loud or eat the last doughnut.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We have stayed at both.. my favorite is Coloma resort. The best part is coming in over the old bridge.. watch your mirrors! You can watch the white water rafters coming down the river from your lounge chair..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Vinnie,
I notice that American River Resort is a 5 minute walk from the Sutter's Mill gold discovery site. How far is the Coloma Resort from there? I would definitely want to go see that!
They both look like great places to stay. Which would you say has roomier sites? I would be interested in which is more 'park-like' (more trees, shade, less pavement).
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Coloma and American River Resorts are both great. We attended a Vintage Trailer Ralley at American River and the vintage group had a rally at Coloma last fall. I live a Half Hour from there and Kristiana... Silver Trailer has a home near the Coloma Resort. She rents vintage Airstreams....sets them up at the resort. Either one of us could help you research...photo views etc. Hope you guys are better...you missed one heck of a rally.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Either one of us could help you research...photo views etc. Hope you guys are better...you missed one heck of a rally.

Neil
Thanks, Neil. Better? We're doing fine! We just got back from a trip to Oregon. We didn't recover in time for Cassini. If I had known about Cassini sooner, I probably would have planned for that instead of Oregon.
Oregon was our first big haul. It was about 1000 miles for us. Mr. Mod and I split the driving equally. Only one wheel popped off near Red Bluff. Mr. Mod found it and amazingly enough, we were able to put it back on and keep going. I kinda feel after that ordeal, I should lose my 'newbie' status. But only time can do such a thing, right?
I'd love to know when and where the next California 'local' gathering is. I'm sure I can talk Mr. Mod into it, he tends to be on the shy side. You all seem like the kind of good company I could get used to! Hope to meet you in the near future!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
Vinnie,
I notice that American River Resort is a 5 minute walk from the Sutter's Mill gold discovery site. How far is the Coloma Resort from there? I would definitely want to go see that!
They both look like great places to stay. Which would you say has roomier sites? I would be interested in which is more 'park-like' (more trees, shade, less pavement).

Basically walking distance over the bridge and your right there. Plenty to see and do without driving anywhere again.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Globie, if you are still reading, you mentioned "hookups or not." The crown jewell of the California State Park system (debateable) is Calaveras Big Trees (Calaveras Big Trees SP)
This traditional camping park is off state route 4, up the road from Hwy. 49. It is higher elevation, but still accessible to some of the most interesting Gold Rush towns, including Angel's Camp and the well-preserved Columbia State Historic Park.

The best feature of Calaveras is, of course, the BIG TREES! Gentle trails lead you through stands of the largest living things in the world. Reservations recommended, and at this date I suggest you look for a mid-week check in.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Back to Ms. Mod's post, Huell Howser actually did film a Tin Can Tourist/VIntage Trailer Rally at an RV Park in Santa Cruz Mountains, and I believe he also filmed at the 49er RV Resort in gold country... Not sure if he is still filming, but he seems like the kind of guy that doesn't need much of an excuse..... He can be reached at huell@calgold.com

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
Thanks, Neil. Better? We're doing fine! We just got back from a trip to Oregon. We didn't recover in time for Cassini. If I had known about Cassini sooner, I probably would have planned for that instead of Oregon.
Oregon was our first big haul. It was about 1000 miles for us. Mr. Mod and I split the driving equally. Only one wheel popped off near Red Bluff. Mr. Mod found it and amazingly enough, we were able to put it back on and keep going. I kinda feel after that ordeal, I should lose my 'newbie' status. But only time can do such a thing, right?
I'd love to know when and where the next California 'local' gathering is. I'm sure I can talk Mr. Mod into it, he tends to be on the shy side. You all seem like the kind of good company I could get used to! Hope to meet you in the near future!
Wait.. what?

That in itself should be its own thread! Was there damage? Popped off because the lug nutz came loose or worse??? Pictures??

Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Wait.. what?

That in itself should be its own thread! Was there damage? Popped off because the lug nutz came loose or worse??? Pictures??
Check out the full story here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tory-6732.html

I'm post #74. There's a pic of Mr. Mod working on the repair in post #88. Poor guy, he has a fractured wrist too.
I'm making light of it because ultimately, no one was hurt , and there was little damage. The wheel well got a slightly banged up and one stud broke. Not much to see. So I won't lay on with the theatrics...I'm just glad that it all worked out and our trip went on as planned.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Jspafford... it's all coming back to me, a family camping trip in 1971 to Calaveras Big Trees, my single mom sleeping in our Volvo wagon with my little brother, me sleeping on the ground in the WWII-surplus sleeping bag and ground cloth. That was a fun trip, and I haven't thought of that place in years! It's on the list.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
We just got back from a very nice stay at Marble Quarry RV Park in Columbia. If you are not familiar with it Columbia has a State Park which is a restored gold rush town.

We have a web site with our travels, here's a link to our recent trip:

Ramblin'Rose

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote