Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #41
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
O.K.

My old Drill Sargent at Paris Island in the 60's impressed upon me that to win you need to be CRAZIER than the enemy!! It's worked for me my entire life.
I don't call that truck stop angled parking thing camping. Nope it ain't- to me any way.
I like to have a good time like anyone else- just cool it after whatever time the park brocure indicates.
If it starts to get heated you can get the park management involved
OR
put on your game gear and blast some Sousa Marches on your sound system
THEN start testing your "new" sewer solution dump system.
This system will lay out a very nice perimiter of waste around your rig, ah heck why not was down that offender and his rig and family and friends. OH the hose broke-I'm trying to control it. Get the idea- the shits hittin the fan kinda thing
Just handle it.
Best advice
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #42

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Redwood City , California
You guys are scaring me.................

Not really. I did a fair amount of tent and RV camping 'a few years back', and I think I met most of those yahoos. Or their parents or grandparents. So much for Darwins theory.

One trick we learned when going to 3 day music festivals - get there early, and leave an accordian sitting out on the picnic table. Apparently no one will camp next to an accordian player. Maybe an "I love Lawrence Welk" bumper sticker? Ditto the HUGE water dish and spiked collar left under the front step. And homemade cookies dropped off for the ranger/park manager.

OK, and the "I'm the NRA and I vote" bumper sticker doesn't hurt.

CatGrove
CatGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Question Behavior

We just returned from a local weekend trip 5 miles from home. Due to medical situation our summer trip had to be cancelled. We do not own a pet. This was our second trip in the last month to a county or city run park. Both were well kept, clean, and organized for the campers full enjoyment of the facilities. At these parks especially ones that are within city limits there are long term campers. Camping is not the proper term. Our neighbors were involved in woodworking and varnishing for local flea markets. I wont tell you about the dog eating on top of the picnic table with its rear end........These parks allow up to 6 months. I don't think this can be a wholesome environment for family camping. Unfortunately due to the economic situation we all find ourselves in there is more of this. City employees do not seem capable to police territorial issues or abuses very well. I always wondered why campground rules were so strict about "clothes lines". Now I know, humans are territorial and some take great lattitudes in what they describe as their "rights". It seems civics class is no longer taught. We invest precious time and energy in our "camping time". After one year of owning our AS at this time I still need to learn the skills necessary to avoid the bad camping neighbor experience. Fuel prices will keep us closer to home and the time more precious. We checked out a local campsite that is just 3 miles from home. News stories have been rampant about the river peninsula property being debated in council for condo development. Unkept, daytime raccoons not very appealing. Returning home I checked their listing in "Woodhalls". Amazingly false in all degrees! What to do?
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have not camped in a campground since I am a new Airstream owner. I have learned by camping on my own property what could be future potential problems for other campers.

1. Lights outside could be a problem because some people enjoy the night sky. Every year I go with some buddies camping. We have rent a cabin in the swamps of Georgia. We would fish all day eat good food and then go outside to enjoy the night sky. This last year the park installed LED street lights for the camp grounds for RV owners and tent campers. Those lights just killed the night sky for star gazing. No more milky way.

2. I bought a generator for my renovated airstream because our property has no water or electric. I shopped and bought a generator which is advertised to be only 8 decibles above quiet conversation. When I started it at home in the neighborhood it was very quiet and purred like a kitten. On our property out in the country there isn't any kind of noise except the frogs, wind and bugs singing. That generator sounded way to loud and I could see it annoying somebody camping. I had to use it because it was 95 degrees during the day and humid day and night. When it was going you could only hear the generator. In the airstream you didn't even notice the sound. It was very quiet. Outside it was loud.

3. If I go camping at a park it will be in the fall, winter or spring. I will leave my lights and generator at home. I love the look and sound of a natural environment. I will only take my dogs to dog friendly parks. They will bark

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just curious, but are you bound for Southern Illinois University?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Yes, because I went to school there and lived there a couple years after school. I love the area and that is where I will retire.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote