Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #29
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
I usually don't say anything to others who are having a good time in their own way, even if it is a little loud or some minor partying is going on, but an incident in an RV park near Buffalo NY over the 2006 Labor Day weekend (we happened to be caught there) really chapped my hide. We had just returned from the day at Niagara Falls and when we got to the AS, we noticed that our streetside neighbors were getting ready to light their campfire. There was just one problem: they had pulled their fire ring away from their SOB and placed it approximately 6 feet from the side of our AS! When I told them that was unacceptable and they needed to move it back onto their space, they apologized and moved it back. They said they moved it away from their space because they were afraid the heat might melt the plastic on their SOB and didn't think heat would hurt the aluminum on the AS! It seems there's an idiot in every crowd. I'm just glad we returned before they had a big fire going.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #30
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
One of my favorite Bill Murray quotes from "Ground hogs day" applies to many a campground.

" Because they're hicks, Rita."

Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #31
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
O.K.

My old Drill Sargent at Paris Island in the 60's impressed upon me that to win you need to be CRAZIER than the enemy!! It's worked for me my entire life.
I don't call that truck stop angled parking thing camping. Nope it ain't- to me any way.
I like to have a good time like anyone else- just cool it after whatever time the park brocure indicates.
If it starts to get heated you can get the park management involved
OR
put on your game gear and blast some Sousa Marches on your sound system
THEN start testing your "new" sewer solution dump system.
This system will lay out a very nice perimiter of waste around your rig, ah heck why not was down that offender and his rig and family and friends. OH the hose broke-I'm trying to control it. Get the idea- the shits hittin the fan kinda thing
Just handle it.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #32
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
The campgrounds around Los Angeles are probably a little worse than other areas, particularly with stereos.

Last time I was out, this large group, about 4 cars worth, had one car parked at the edge of their camp, farthest from where they were, with the doors open facing away from them, with rap music blaring.

I finally had enough after an hour and went over and asked whose car it was, then that the music was way too loud and disturbing other campers.

The people just stared at me. Didn't lift a finger. The music kept blaring until they decided to leave. Five minutes after that, a ranger drove through the now-peaceful camp.

I'm more tolerant and live-and-let-live than average, but this had lots of dark thoughts running through my head. Worthless wanna-be gang bangers!

-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
I have my Tradewind on a seasonal site that my family has rented since I was just a little campngirl. Got new neighbors last year who don't think before they do or they just don't care. Maybe if they put some thought to it, they would realize that others shouldn't have to listen to their police scanner, their music or what ever football/ baseball game that they had to catch and that unless you are chasing something that got away ( child, pet, ect ), that you just do not take a shortcut through your neighbors' campsites. I have talked to my neighbor about this and it just does not sink in. He actually got mad and started to yell that he was tired of taking crap from people. My response was ( a normal voice ) that if he would think about it that he might realize that there may be a reason for people taking issue with his behavior.

This is not a matter of belittleing people, it is a matter of common courtesy and common sense.... something that is no longer very common.

This campground has always been quiet. The owners have stressed that as well.
I don't think that my new neighbors will last long. I just hope that the people who have that site after them aren't worse.

Karol
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #34
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Airstream Harbors were made for this

Busy holidays are the best times to check out an Airstream only campground if you are lucky enough to be close to one. I've been to a few and they vary a bit with the exception that they are universally (at least so far) filled with great, like minded people.

These parks are where my kids are learning about camping etiquette and comeraderie!

I save the trips to popular tourist destinations for the off season months!

Jim
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
we were camped once, just in a tent, in the Dragoon Mts. area of Arizona, and felt lucky to have the camping loop all to ourselves. Went to bed around 10:00, and maybe an hour later THEY showed up, in jeeps and dune buggies. After doing fast laps around the loop for a while, they set up camp, maybe 40 feet away. Was prepared for the normal racket involved with 8 ot 10 people setting up camp, but not for the powerful, noisy generator, Led Zepellin cranked to 11, or the halogen lights mounted on racks so they could get drunk and play horseshoes, and continued doing laps in the dune buggies and one dirt-bike, all untill 4:30 a.m. We kept thinking- they'll quiet down soon now, right? And you know how hard it is to get up in the middle of the night just to pee, never mind taking down the entire camp, re-stowing it, finding another place in the dark, re-setting up camp, and then getting back to sleep?? I suppose they were locals, we were the tourists, so we moved on at first light, accidentally bumping the car horn (OK, maybe it got stuck a little) as we drove out. Just my horror story to add to the mix. Should add, on edit, that this was a primitive, no-rules camping area in the Nat'l. Forest, and that we've had dozens of great experiences in similar surroundings.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #36
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We've been on the road for twenty years, camp hosted; the insanity never ends. These folk are
"week-enders" that have no clue as to travelers. We stop early and leave before dawn;
were in Monument Valley, very cold, tent campers came in after we'd gone to bed,
party, party till dawn. Forgot about them when Bess got fired-up with the glow plugs,
turned out their tent was right next to the exhaust. Tit for tat.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Boy, had I read this thread before deciding on an AS, I would probably have decided against it! Still being newbies, we've been out five times this spring/summer and so far have been very lucky, I guess. Had a group of neighbors last time that were a little noisy, but nothing out of the normal range - quieted down at bedtime, etc.. There were more of them than the rules permit and no one seemed to care there were five cars and 10-12 people on the site. Many parked in neighboring sites that were empty but, again, the Rangers just rolled by on their "regular" trip through the park. We really don't like hearing someone's else's taste in music coming form their boombox four campsites away! That's when I'd like to do some target practice with a magnum and blow their radio out of sight. But, we all seem to tolerate the bad behavior over and over. It's a shame that the good folks have to put up with such bad behavior but it happens. Thank goodness the good campers outnumber the bad!
Is there a list of AS campgrounds. I run across them from time to time (sorry, I guess I could check on my own.)
Keep on campin' and enjoyin' the experience.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #38
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim
Is there a list of AS campgrounds. I run across them from time to time (sorry, I guess I could check on my own.)
http://www.airforums.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=33
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thumbs down Bag pipes next door

Our 4th weekend was at Franklin Locks near Ft.Myers,Fl.With friends over & having a cool one,the neighbor brings out her bag pipes and began playing something for about an hour.We beared with it that Friday,but when she started Sat. I went over to talk to her,at least she didn`t start again. Dave
Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Every once in a while we run into some bad actors at campsites, but we've had some really bad neighbors at various homes we've owned. Some homeowners are the same—spotlights shinning in our house all night, noise, trash, horse poop rolling downhill onto our property, noxious weeds spreading onto our property, broken septic systems, holes shot through our mailbox, etc. At least we've outlived the crazy guy with the rifle. At the campsites, we can move on pretty quickly.

It seems the majority of RV dogs are small for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, they are the yappers with the high pitched barks. I love dogs, but when they start yapping I have dark thoughts. I also don't like the bright lights—it can be from the street lights at the RV park or neighboring RV's (confession—sometimes I forget to turn off the A/S exterior light). I think some city dwellers are afraid of the dark, though I doubt they would admit it. Then there are the people who will set up right next to you even though there are many, many empty spaces. I think they too are afraid of the dark, or are so used to being packed into apartments they can't be out at a primitive area alone. And there are the people who park so it's very difficult to get in or out of your space—you'd think they would know better, they've got RV's too, but they just don't care.

There are a lot of people with arrested development. They are like 4 year olds who think everything exists for their benefit. It's easier to tolerate in a 4 year old, but not an adult who never emotionally developed. Why can't we use tranquilizer darts?

We try to ignore it all. The Safari is pretty quiet inside though I wish the curtains were lined to keep out light. Maybe some of those neighbors we've had have made us more tolerant.

Gene
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #41
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
O.K.

My old Drill Sargent at Paris Island in the 60's impressed upon me that to win you need to be CRAZIER than the enemy!! It's worked for me my entire life.
I don't call that truck stop angled parking thing camping. Nope it ain't- to me any way.
I like to have a good time like anyone else- just cool it after whatever time the park brocure indicates.
If it starts to get heated you can get the park management involved
OR
put on your game gear and blast some Sousa Marches on your sound system
THEN start testing your "new" sewer solution dump system.
This system will lay out a very nice perimiter of waste around your rig, ah heck why not was down that offender and his rig and family and friends. OH the hose broke-I'm trying to control it. Get the idea- the shits hittin the fan kinda thing
Just handle it.
Best advice
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #42

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Redwood City , California
You guys are scaring me.................

Not really. I did a fair amount of tent and RV camping 'a few years back', and I think I met most of those yahoos. Or their parents or grandparents. So much for Darwins theory.

One trick we learned when going to 3 day music festivals - get there early, and leave an accordian sitting out on the picnic table. Apparently no one will camp next to an accordian player. Maybe an "I love Lawrence Welk" bumper sticker? Ditto the HUGE water dish and spiked collar left under the front step. And homemade cookies dropped off for the ranger/park manager.

OK, and the "I'm the NRA and I vote" bumper sticker doesn't hurt.

CatGrove