Old 07-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Add our names to the group who stay home during major holidays...not only is there the rowdy campground behavior (poor devils don't get out enough to know better), there's the road traffic...where the same drunks that annoyed you in the campground end up.

We do make an effort to say "hey" to our neighbors in a campground rather than pretend like they aren't there. We've found that just this brief "how are ya" creates a level of mutual awareness & respect that goes a long way. We do have dogs who will bark if they see someone approaching "their space," so we try to socialize the dogs to our neighbors as well (if the neighbors are OK with that—I always ask first), so the dogs know they are "OK"...'sides, the dogs only want to get their sniffs in, too. It just makes for a friendlier time.

What I can't abide are those who don't keep their dogs leashed, or who don't pick up after their dogs.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Every so often I wonder if camping is for me. We live in a rural neighborhood of 1 1/2 acre and up lots with many trees that offer a lot of privacy. Why are we anxious to leave this quiet life at home to subject ourselves to a parking lot setting on a lake/ocean shore? Maybe I am avoiding the leaking faucet at home.....

Still we would not change a thing.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #17
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Hey J,
I completely agree, just wondering, where exactly was this campsite? They still there? Um, exactly how many she-beasts? Not that it matters of course but the she-beasts...never mind, I will IM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
As Steve Susan and Mustang say.

We met some aquantances who were at a site about five away from us, and their neighbors were just a bunch of horny mid-aged she-beast women doing kareoke. Until 1:00AM.

Bottom line, avoid holidays if peace and quite are what you are looking for.

Jonathan
This topic is close to my heart, not the she-beast but the holiday avoidance. Being a Registered Nurse, I have made it a habit to work on most New Years Eve's. I figure it is best to already be in a hospital on Amateur Night. When I ride the motorcycle, I make a decision to put it away on holiday weekends. Too many rules get bent on holiday's. I expect none of my expectations to be met, unless I keep them low.

Cheers as 2AIR would say.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #18
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Seams to me that you can solve both these problems at once by combining them. Deisel works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post

In Kentucky, at Levi Jackson State Park, the fire ring was an ashtray again and to top it off it appeared that the previous occupants had tethered their dog to the "bear" pole as there was a ring of dog excrement all around it.

mike

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was one of those offensive neighbors at the East Coast Vintage Rally. I hosted an impromtu potluck supper that was attended by about 60 or so people. We ate well and had a great time... then, Mr. Mistral Blue brought out the Party Ball filled with grain alchol and some sort of fruit punch, and the guitars started playing and folks started singing and then out came some very potent home made corn whiskey and there was more singing.... well, at 2 am the owner of the KOA came by and very politely told us to put an end to the potluck supper.
The next morning I crawled around to every trailer within a 10 trailer radius and apologized for my actions and for disturbing their peace. Many folks said that it was no problem at all and we were not even remotely out of hand. Many really loved Mrs. Mistral Blues singing and were more jealous that we were having such a good time as a group. My next door neighbor told me "You Airstream people know how to have some fun, you guys got it going on"

Alumitube, Thank you for NOT searching. It is a lot more fun to talk about this stuff than go and read old hat as to others experiences way back. I will say most state parks and national forests have more room between spaces and the offenses of your neighbors are just not as offensive.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Have to agree about h-day w/ends; we try to avoid them also. One other comment as noted previously; no guarantee, but, NF Lands, some St Parks, tend to be quieter, with better sites, than private campgrounds. We seek them out more frequently now. We do have a couple of favorite private campgrounds that we visit (gotta’ let the little Guy have some “entertainment” once in a while too). But we have culled out the “bad” ones over the years, and know which ones are worth visiting.
Lots of Folks see camping only as an excuse to have a booze-fest all weekend, and many private campgrounds promote this!
I am not opposed to a few brewskis around the fire, but when I see Folks poppin’ cans at 8:00 a.m. with a roarin’ barn fire goin’ b4 noon…it’s time to find a better place. There are “trailer parks” and there are Family campgrounds. Know which you like, and which to avoid.
We also like to go meet the Folks next door, when we/they pull in. Makes for a better stay most of the time. We try to keep a pretty low profile, some tiki torches and a campfire at night –no bright lights, and very seldom play any music (we love music, but also love the “sound” of the woods). Having said that, I have seen some Folks plug in sodium lights and hang them way up high, so as to light up the entire area, and then leave them on all night! What is up with that?! Different strokes…
Any way, the lack of utilities in NF Lands, and St Parks, cuts way down on the number of items you can “power up” so they are inherently quieter…

Heading out for 2 weeks…to some VERY remote/quite St. Parks…can’t wait!

Bill
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well Can I add 2 cents.? First we will not take the trailer out of the drive on a Holiday. The only reason we might be out there is {"we got caught"}. We have only been out twice this year. OUR PET peve is "People who don't clean after their pets" That was the first thing MaryLou did on our last outing.
First Scan the area for Animal POOPOO and second for Cig Butts and other trash that people carelessly leave behind for others to clean up. We even ordered MUTT MITTS Just for that purpose.
I am wondering WHY the parks bother to put out trash cans and Huge Trash Recepticals And Seems NO BODY EVER USES THEM.
Ok enough rant from this old man. We try very had to Employ the GOLDEN RULE. I guess somebody forgot to teach that somewhere along the line.
Roger
Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Every so often I wonder if camping is for me. We live in a rural neighborhood of 1 1/2 acre and up lots with many trees that offer a lot of privacy. Why are we anxious to leave this quiet life at home to subject ourselves to a parking lot setting on a lake/ocean shore? Maybe I am avoiding the leaking faucet at home.....

Still we would not change a thing.
Neil.

I'm with you there. We have 3 acres of paradise, and worst of all, when we're away we have to pay someone to come take care of the critters we left behind! If it wasn't for the opportunity to enjoy beautiful new views, park by a river where I can walk right out in the morning and go fishing, and hanging out with friends around the campfire all night, I'd never take the trailer anywhere! I guess that's reason enough

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Alumitube, Thank you for NOT searching. It is a lot more fun to talk about this stuff than go and read old hat as to others experiences way back. I will say most state parks and national forests have more room between spaces and the offenses of your neighbors are just not as offensive.
I have to agree with Frank on this issue. I believe searching old threads for things like this may not give you a chance to properly get the specific information you are wanting, or blow off steam with your RANT. It also keeps the stories and information fresh instead of reading a thread that may be 3-4 years old.

Don't worry Suz...we will make sure to leave the sky spotlight at home for the rally in August .

Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My biggest rant is people that don't respect my little piece of rented real estate at a campground. Grown ups and kids alike walk through my site for the shortest distance to the next point. It's something I was taught NOT to do by my parents when we camped years ago.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I was not at the East Coast Vintage Rally so this post is not directed at 62 Overlander in any respect.

We bought a property in West Virgnia several years ago. We thought we might want to build a cabin, but our closest neighbor (about 1/3 mile away) was an aspiring musician who enjoying drinking and playing with his friends until the wee hours of the morning. We sold the place after spending a night where the amplified guitars overwhelmed the noise of a major thunderstorm. During a trip to a Virginia campground with our kids and their friends, we weren't far from another group of aspiring folk musicians who played well into the evening. All I could think of was the scene in Animal House where Bluto crushes the guitar.

I'm a follower of the old adage, the right to swing your arm ends at my nose. This principle can be applied to noise. This is why I try to camp quietly. I have had the usual share of problems with the normal racket of thoughtless campers. What bothers me more is karaoke night where the instruments and amateur vocalists decide to share their talent with the world.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Wow! There are quite a few people belittling others just because they happen to be different than they are. Now I can certainly understand if people are breaking the rules, but if they are not breaking the rules then they are not the problem.
Love Thy Neighbor

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Keller , Texas
The last two trips my wife and I have taken (including one this past weekend on the 4th), we have had to contend with neighbors who brought electric guitars (yes, with full amps) and saw fit to launch into their own "private" concerts in the middle of their campsites ... If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it.

We also dealt with LOTS of folks who like to crank up their car stereos and open up all of their car doors so everyone can hear, including one campsite that had TWO cars doing this, tuned in to two different stations!

I'm about as easy-going as they come, but I am a strong believer in the golden rule and common courtesy. The problem is, most people are too wrapped up in their own cocoons (or they're "stars of their own movie" as a friend likes to say) to even notice how their actions affect those around them. As my dad would say, it's either selfishness or thoughtlessness, and neither one is acceptable.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #28
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Last year we were camping at Lake Sam Rayburn in east Texas (Hanks Creek). Got an end spot close to the lake where we thought we'd have a relatively quiet space. Nice park BTW, with some really nice sites.

The next day, a gargantuan, white fiberglass 5th wheel pulled in, street side... nice folks, friendly and... definitly had theirs agenda planned for the weekend and they were ready to let loose. Later on, some friends of their pulled in with a boat in tow...

OK, they were gone during daylight hours until dusk. That evening however, we all relived the day (they at their site, we at ours).

Then came movie time. I am here to testify that the surround-sound theater sound system that they had (for what apparently was a large screen TV) REALLY WORKS! Must of been a real "see it & hear it" experience from the confines of their mobile mansion-on-wheels!

Seems to me, they coulda done a daytrip and had mostly the same experience, IMHO. Thankfully, they were all gone (& cleaned up!!), by 3PM...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote