Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Wheaton , Illinois
Thanks, Based on your experience, I will probably install the autoformer in the rear trunk (under the queen bed) in our unit.Just did not want an unexpected "electric bed warmer".

Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
people with pets

I am wondering now about leaving Baron alone in the trailer during hot days. It's always a struggle between taking him with in the hot car or leaving him home in the trailer and worrying about the AC going off. What would be the wise thing to do---besides heading to cooler climes, of course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
We have a Surge Guard (Model 34730) ... it shuts off power to the trailer when it dips too low. So far ... in a year and a half ... it has happened about 4 or 5 times ... but not while running the AC ....... yet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I had the same problem here in VA last week. The campground AC circuit was overloaded several times during the week due to everyone running their Air Conditioners. The main circuit breaker kept tripping for our side of the camp. When it came back on, the AC sounded like it was "shifting gears". I would turn it off for awhile. I expressed my concern to the camp manager about low voltage, but didn't have an AC meter to verify how low it was. I think I'm going to invest in an Auto Transformer before running my Air again.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I am wondering now about leaving Baron alone in the trailer during hot days. It's always a struggle between taking him with in the hot car or leaving him home in the trailer and worrying about the AC going off. What would be the wise thing to do---besides heading to cooler climes, of course?
I set the front fantastic fan to blow in and put a temporary cover on it since the vent lid opens on that fan as soon as it is turned on. I set the thermostat so the fan does not run at room temperature. I set the rear fan to blow out and set the wall thermostat so that the fan is off at room temperature. That fan lid opens only when the wall thermostat calls for cool.

I then leave the cats in the trailer knowing that the fans will keep it bearable for a few hours if the electricity goes off and stays off.

A little experimentation with some cardboard and scotch tape will show you how to close off the front vent so that the fan coming on at high speed will blow the temporary cover off.

My new trailer has an out-only front fan (thanks, Airstream!). I have already ordered the parts from Fantastic to convert it into a 2-way fan. In the meantime , I will leave that fan turned off and depend on the rear fan coming on at high speed to pull the temporary cover off.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Fantastic Vent conversion

Wow John, that is innovative. I think you are the forum Mc Guiver! I also have exhaust only fans. Is the conversion something that can be easily done and are the parts expensive or should I bring it in to Fantastic Vent which is right near here? I had wanted to have that done. Both out and they almost seem to work against each other. (?) Also at a crowded rest stop I am definitely pulling in diesel fumes from the sides from the the neighboring trucks instead of bringing in air from the top which would be much cleaner. I spent a few VERY hot hours without being able to use the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I set the front fantastic fan to blow in and put a temporary cover on it since the vent lid opens on that fan as soon as it is turned on. I set the thermostat so the fan does not run at room temperature. I set the rear fan to blow out and set the wall thermostat so that the fan is off at room temperature. That fan lid opens only when the wall thermostat calls for cool.

I then leave the cats in the trailer knowing that the fans will keep it bearable for a few hours if the electricity goes off and stays off.

A little experimentation with some cardboard and scotch tape will show you how to close off the front vent so that the fan coming on at high speed will blow the temporary cover off.

My new trailer has an out-only front fan (thanks, Airstream!). I have already ordered the parts from Fantastic to convert it into a 2-way fan. In the meantime , I will leave that fan turned off and depend on the rear fan coming on at high speed to pull the temporary cover off.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Fan conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Wow John, that is innovative. I think you are the forum Mc Guiver! I also have exhaust only fans. Is the conversion something that can be easily done and are the parts expensive or should I bring it in to Fantastic Vent which is right near here? I had wanted to have that done.
I emailed Fantastic and they quoted $35 for the conversion kit. When I called to order and said I had a new Airstream, there was no mention of payment. The guy simply said he would put a kit and instructions in the mail to me. It hasn't arrived yet but should soon.

The conversion is fairly simple. Remove some screws, drop the fan plate, remove the current off/on switch, put in the new switch, and wire in the new switch according to the instructions. You would need solder and a soldering iron. The wiring necessary to reverse the motor is quite simple and you would have to solder about 6 or 7 connections.

I'm sure Fantastic could do it easily at their plant, but I don't know what they would charge. They might simply swap out the fan plate rather than change the switch.

In the meantime, I may have to go with the single operating fan on my next trip leaving 8/2. A single fan at highest speed should keep the tailer safe but uncomfortable for my cats if the AC fails.

Come to think of it. Simply swapping the supply ground and 12v inputs to the front fan motor should make the front fan an in-only fan until I get the kit. There are no polarity sensitive components in the fan except the motors. I could do that change in a few minutes with screwdriver, diagonal pliers and crimp tool. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how difficult it is to get to the wiring to accomplish this.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Reversing a fan

I modified my front fan to blow inward this morning pending receipt of the kit from Fantastic. A step by step description of the modification is in this thread.

WBCCI #9632