Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Campground close to San Francisco, CA

Hello-
In the Spring, we are planning to drive Hwy 1 along the coast of California. On our list to see is Alcatraz & a few sites in San Francisco. Looking for suggestions for campgrounds near San Francisco and public transportation into the city.
Thank you!
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We made that trip in '06 and stayed at an RV park in Pacifica right on the ocean. For all I know, it's fallen off into the ocean by now, but it was a fantastic (and $$$) place. Another plus was its proximity to a BART station. At that time it was called San Francisco RV resort.

Things change over the years, but it was a great trip when we did it.
Paula (AKA Pie)

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We stayed at Candlestick RV park several years ago, and loved it.

Clean, paved, all the amenities, as well as walled, gated, locked, and secure.

We chose this campground because they have a shuttle into the city. Took the hop on, hop off trolley around to see the sights, and it was perfect for us.

A beautiful city. Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
We stayed at Marin RV Park a few years back. Nothing to write home about, but clean and nicely located close to the Larkspur Ferry which accesses downtown San Francisco in about 30 minutes. Takes you right past San Quentin and Alcatraz en route! Fine for a 2-3 day visit.

http://www.marinrvpark.com/campground/index.php
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
We have stayed in Pacifica. Not done the Candlestick, not too fond of the neighborhood directly west.

There is another location in South San Francisco: http://www.treasureislandrvpark.com/

We have not tried that one yet either.

There is another alternative in the East Bay, close to the Castro Valley BART. Lake Chabot: Lake Chabot Regional Park

I have a blog post about our most recent stay there: A few days in San Francisco | CasaRodante - Our House on Wheels
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Unhappy Rv parks in Texas..

Sorry for getting in on this topic of California. But I am new at this forum, and I can not seem to find where do I go to start a thread. But my question is has anyone been to San Luis Pass county Park in Texas? Its in Freeport TX..

Thank you,

And I very sorry for the inconvenience.

Kennedy>>>
Deerhunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
We stayed at Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, about 35 miles southeast of the city. There is a BART station nearby. Nice campground. very relaxing. And Pleasanton is a sweet little town.

Contact Us
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We had a very bad experience at the San Francisco RV resort in Pacifica. The electrical situation there is very dodgy. We fried a very expensive surge protector on one of their many corroded electrical hookups. You'll also likely get a lot of salt sea spray and/or heavy salt fog since they are right on the Pacific Ocean.

We very much prefer the Trailer Villa RV Park in Redwood City. It is on the edge of the much quieter SF Bay. The three rows of transient RV spaces are two or three years old and the private bathroom/shower rooms are new and very clean. Trailer Villa RV Park - Home
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Another vote for Marin RV Park

Stayed at Marin RV Park last month, the same place that TinTin listed the link for above. Drive into city not bad from there, you cross the Golden Gate, but we also rode the ferry. Ferry terminal is very close by, about a 10 minute walk from the campground, price is right and the views are great. Highly recommend it.

Nothing fancy about this place, you park on gravel, the center drive is asphalt. It's clean, staff was helpful and seemed well run. Stayed there 4 days. A marshland park that goes next to the bay is behind it so lots of room to exercise a pet if you have one. There were a couple other places nearby but from what I saw, I'm glad we chose this one over the others. Would definitely stay there again.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you everyone for the sites for San Francisco--this is a wonderful resource for travel information. Plan to try Marvin RV Park.
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Any chance there is a fam camp at any of the installations in the Bay Area?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
RV Park Near San Francisco

I recently stayed at the Golden Gate RV Park. It is just across the bay from San Francisco, near the ferry and the Golden Gate Bridge. I think it was around $50/night. It is clean and cared for but caters to folks who live there in their RV. The residents are nice and helpful. It is next to a wildlife preserve so there's a nice place to take a walk with or without a dog. There is no pool but they have restrooms with showers and a laundry room. If you decide to stay there, show up in the morning or early afternoon. When the residents are home in the evening it can be difficult to back into a space due to all the vehicles parked along the road.
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #13
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I haven't been to any of them, but I'm originally from San Francisco. I'd go for the camp ground in Marin. The ferry ride is phenomenal. Years ago on a New Year's Eve, I took my two young daughters to Sausalito and we took a ferry ride. We were the only ones on the ferry. It was amazing.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Durham , California
Check out Pomo Campground in Ft Bragg. My favorite great private sites and a great area to explore.
Bill R5 is offline   Reply With Quote