Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Question Campground / Area Suggestions

Does anyone know of a website or tool available that provides you with information on destinations within a certain radius?

For example, I am looking to camp this Memorial Day weekend. I want to travel approximately 200 or less miles from my NE Ohio home. I want to find a destination with a nice campsite and points of interest good for my family.

So now I am just using maps.google to find some possibilities. I am guessing there are some gems out there and it is difficult to find.

Suggestion on this thread, could it be organized by region, state, section? So I could focus on those entries that are closer to my destination.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I use Reserve America alot, Good Sam second when I'm travelling......good luck this close to the holiday, everything here has been booked for weeks.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/Default.aspx
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use the "OFFICIAL GOOD SAM CLUB RV ROAD ATLAS" not only does give maps of all the states (not as detailed as an official state map) but gives good directions. There are a number of GoodSam campgrounds and associate member ccampgrounds also marked. One can also get this on a CD. The Atlas also includes Canada, Mexico and if you want to drive down and spend the time, PUERTO RICO.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Campground Directory

Give RVParkReviews a try. RV Park Reviews :: Home They list campgrounds by State and City and will suggest cities within a certain radius. Also have customer reviews that are generally very objective.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
If you own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, the "Campwhere" application is the best $3.99 you’ll ever spend. It pinpoints your location and lets you know which of the 7500 US campgrounds you’re closest to, then sends you to the websites of the ones you're interested in:

Campwhere for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslaymaker View Post
Does anyone know of a website or tool available that provides you with information on destinations within a certain radius?

For example, I am looking to camp this Memorial Day weekend. I want to travel approximately 200 or less miles from my NE Ohio home. I want to find a destination with a nice campsite and points of interest good for my family.

So now I am just using maps.google to find some possibilities. I am guessing there are some gems out there and it is difficult to find.

Suggestion on this thread, could it be organized by region, state, section? So I could focus on those entries that are closer to my destination.
Western Branch Reservoir - State Park is very nice. HUGE sites by the lake, very quiet. It's located half way between Warren and Ravenna.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
suggestions

Yep, we second West Branch State Park. It is awesome. http://www.westbranchstatepark.com/
We have been to Punderson State Park which is pretty. Salt Fork in SE Ohio is a beautiful park...(last year...too many skunks at dusk if you have kids or pets.) We like Grand Lake St. Mary's which is near to Jackson Center. Up here near us is a little state park called Findley SP. It is nice and has a lake for fishing or kayaking/canoeing. Buck Creek down nearer to Dayton and it is a nice trip. Hocking Hills is wonderful and there is alot of stuff to do in the vicinity. Dillon State Park is great. I should make a list because Ohio has lots of places that are awesome!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
CampingRoadTrip.com - Find Campgrounds & RV Parks, Plan Tent & RV Camping Trips

This just appeared in my mail box. I have not tried the search feature. Let us know what you have found and what works for you.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Good luck! I too was looking for a spot over a week ago and couldn't find any open camp sites at any of the many, many places that I searched. I finally found one site available in Westfield NY; only pure luck due to a cancellation.

Hope that you have better success!
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote