Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That can vary a lot, pretty much $15-45 if you buy the wood in $5 bundles.

Depends on the people managing the fire and the size of the fire. Some get a good 5 hours out of a bundle, some use 3 bundles and only get 4 hours.
Based on the quality of wood we are generally able to purchase at Ontario Provincial parks, our Campfire in a Can is much more satisfying.

- Less Smoke,
- Less Hassle
- Much less expensive to operate.

Given the amount that we camp I was certainly worried about the amount of smoke that the kids were breathing as a result of the wood fires.

On a three day weekend, it was not uncommon to go through $30 to $40 worth of wood as purchased by the bundle. While a $10 fill of the 20lb propane tank has lasted about 4 weekends. (We don't run the flame very high).

If you can purchase wood by the cord at home, and then transport it would likely be as economical - but there are restrictions on moving wood.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Since I am new to RV'ing - where do folk usually pay to fill tanks? I live in Birmingham AL - not sure of best place? Do CG's offer such services?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Since I am new to RV'ing - where do folk usually pay to fill tanks? I live in Birmingham AL - not sure of best place? Do CG's offer such services?
A lot of (but not all) U-Haul locations dispense propane. That's who I normally use, since there are two locations within a 3-mile radius of home.

Some KoAs also dispense propane.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our local Chevron can fill propane tanks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Convenience stores, home depot, lowes, menards, pilot and grocery stores have the exchange version of filling. Most also have the DIY with credit card dispensers. If not, check the yellow pages.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Some CG's do. Many of the gas stations around here dispense propane, as do the propane companies. Also, I use propane at the house since we are in the country. If I leave my empty 20lb cylinders next to the big household tank, the propane company will fill them when they fill the big tank. You can also take them to a Propane company to fill them.

Home Depot and many other places also offer a tank swap. You don't own the tank, just swap it for a filled one when it's empty.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wow, ok....I have done the tank exchange thing for my home grill...if I recall @ home depot its like 18 bucks for an exchange....I think that is a 20lb tank...

Ill be getting the fire-dancer in a week or so (darn "super saver shipping" - im too cheap to re-up my amazon prime membership at this point, but every time I order something I wish I had it back) - ill post my impressions with initial patio home use...and later with it's use in camping this winter....it seems clear it will dissapoint primarily in the area of heating things up as much as the "real deal"

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Heat is one thing, but nothing beats the taste of cooking over an open/ contained WOOD fire.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #51
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I like the fire dancer for it's looks and low profile. Have any of you that have one missed not having the grate for cooking over the flame ???? I also like the cover for the fire in a can so does the fire dancer have any type of cover or case to enclose it for packing ??

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
it has a cover that I think screws on or latches keeping all the stuff inside (mine I think comes with some sort of filler type stuff...others put like some kind of glass or buy those logs that fit in as an insert)...I think this creates a contained unit for storage purpose - ie I dont expect crap to fall out everywhere and make it easy to carry

Amazon.com: Convert-A-Ball FD500 Fire Dancer Gas Campfire: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I *THINK* it comes with a pretty basic little grill attachment...IF i recall it looked cheasier than the one for camfire in a can...but I think it is in it? Others can elaborate...may be able to order it for the unit?

I read a review that one should forgoe their log insert because it was useless extra cost per that reviewer..?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I like the fire dancer for it's looks and low profile. Have any of you that have one missed not having the grate for cooking over the flame ???? I also like the cover for the fire in a can so does the fire dancer have any type of cover or case to enclose it for packing ??
Never had a grate for mine. I wouldn't want to cook over the open propane flame from one of these firepits. Unlike the blue flame generated for home cooking, the firepit flame is very sooty. The fire Dancer is self contained with a screw down lid.

Quote:
I read a review that one should forgoe their log insert because it was useless extra cost per that reviewer..?
I like the dorky log insert. It gives the fire more character. See my pic in post #28
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have a Weber 120 grill for cooking with it's own stand. We carry both a spare 20 pound and 30 pound propane tank. Thus the fire in can can just look nice and not have grease in the fake log and mechanism.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just got mine tonight in mail - love it already on patio - wife and I already enjoying!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1529457874.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	195127  

Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia