Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
C.I.A.C.

LOVE it !
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I ordered one. Lots safer in the woods than a real fire and easier to put out and no wood to haul. What's there not to like?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Campfire in a Can

We used our Campfire In a Can last week at the AF Fourth cliff Recreation area. It worked great no hassle with wet wood or smoke due to the wind. It was quite a hit with the other campers as you could not have wood campfires on the site. It was great sitting back with the flames watching the magnificient sunset. The flame was also adjustable however we kept ours relativly small as we did not need the heat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	191965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	191966  

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Want

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We love our portable propane campfire. I'd prefer a real wood fire any day, but you can't beat the convenience and the warmth and the lack of smoke. Wood fires are not allowed at many campgrounds, and many campgrounds which allow them require you to buy wood there onsite. The kids love cooking over the propane fire as much as they do the wood kind, so that's an added bonus. Ours was 79.00 and ships free at amazon, came two days after we ordered it and comes in a zipper case. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Prop...mpfire+propane
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Saw this campfire @ Cabelas - my fav place, $99 ; )
Camp Chef Portable Propane-Powered Fire Ring : Cabela's
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I actually added vermiculite to my campfire in a can. Wasn't really impressed with the un-natural look of the flame. Vermiculite helped a lot. I still think the logs look unrealistic and are molded in an odd shape, but I havent seen the others in real life to compare.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We've used a Fire Dancer for about 6 years now. It's great for places where you can't have campfires. We can use it on the beach, in National Forests when campfires are banned, and in RV parks that don't allow campfires. We were asked to put it out only once in an area where campfires were banned. This was because other campers saw it and thought it was OK to build wood campfires so basically it set a bad precedent! The Fire Dancer has held up well! Fire Dancer- Made in USA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	San Simeon_20080726_3009.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	630.2 KB
ID:	193194  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
im still undecided which one I want....want one for home patio use and for camping...

How much propane do these things eat up? I realize that depends on how high they are set....but just a ballpark...

Im off to dig through amazon and CW reviews and hope this will help me make a final decision

Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
im still undecided which one I want....want one for home patio use and for camping...

How much propane do these things eat up? I realize that depends on how high they are set....but just a ballpark...
If you want one for your home, you may want to check a place like Lowes or Home Depot. They have larger and nicely designed propane pits for home use. I probably get 15-20 hours of burn time out of my Fire Dancer on a 20lb propane tank, run wide open at 57,000 BTU's.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I bought fire dancer after reading reviews for 2 hours

Ill have to consider that about the home patio - thanks

Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
We bought our propane campfire in 2001 and have done nothing else since. We had the dealer put a propane port on the side of our 27FB and plug into that. The people we travel with have made fun of it and said things like "they would like to have a real fire", but they all own a propane campfire now. The campfire can sit on a carpet and be under the awning, so we can sit around it in rain or snow. Twelve years and still going strong. I bet they all work great and know that you will love it.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I did some research and you can calculate propane usage based on BTU's. A 20lb tank will produce about 430,270 BTU's (21,514 per pound). So if I run my Fire Dancer wide open at 57,000 BTU's it would take about 7.5 hours to empty the tank. I generally run it with the valve partially open to prolong the propane life.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That 15 hours of fire you get - what would be ballpark cost in wood - just out of curiosity ?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #35
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I did a thread a few years back--propane fire pits--- but I do not know how to link it here.\ It has beeen working like a charm now that I use a chest high tank to supply the need.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
That 15 hours of fire you get - what would be ballpark cost in wood - just out of curiosity ?
That can vary a lot, pretty much $15-45 if you buy the wood in $5 bundles.

Depends on the people managing the fire and the size of the fire. Some get a good 5 hours out of a bundle, some use 3 bundles and only get 4 hours.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Kinda of like comparing apples to oranges so it's difficult to say. Too many variables such as wood type, flame vs. heat, wood cost, propane cost, etc. A cord of wood can produce anywhere from 10 to 38 million BTU's, depending on species, but that is heat and not flame. So you build a wood fire, the flame dies, but it still produces heat from the coals which is fine if you want heat. If you want light, you add more wood to the fire. The propane is consistent with heat and light. I prefer a wood fire myself, but it's much more work to keep it going. The wood fire keeps me more interested because I can poke at it, and mess with it, and it constantly changes. I regularly cook over a wood fire with my dutch oven, which I really enjoy...can't do that with a propane pit! I always take my Fire Dancer in case I get in a situation where wood fires are not allowed. I love my campfire!

So let's see if I can roughly quantify this, unless you live in California, a couple bundles of wood for a nightly fire...about $10. Half of a tank of propane...about $10.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
I did a thread a few years back--propane fire pits--- but I do not know how to link it here.\ It has beeen working like a charm now that I use a chest high tank to supply the need.
You mean this one? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...its-41800.html

This is why he needs a chest-high tank!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jackson 011.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	194696  
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Last week I was camping with my grandkids at a KOA in Leavenworth, WA as a major wildfire was raging only 5 miles away. All wood and charcoal fires were banned but controlled propane fires were ok. So I broke out my propane fire pit (Costco, about $100) and we did S'mores to much delight. I had the only legal fire at the campground. I love wood fires but it is all too common that transporting wood is banned. At the California state line fruit inspection stop I was asked it I was transporting firewood (I was not). The propane fire is nice and it does not have to be run full blast. The lava rock heat up and glow red.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Great points CA streamer!!!

Also - that pick of the LP fire pit! Holy S&$@t!! Hahaha

I like a wood fire too but I'm also quite lazy

How many folks use propane from AS as opposed to another tank brought along? Guess you would need some sort of adapter mounted to allow this....