Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Other Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
At the Canadian border they asked if we had any firewood..... Why yes we did and the offload was not pretty. They had a huge storage bin where all the contraban wood was stored. Many of it still in the bags you buy at convenience stores labeled "Product of Quebec". On the way back to the states we crossed at the same place and had about a 2 hour wait in traffic. I looked in the bin and my wood was still there - I didn't ask for it back. Before we left, we checked the Web for restrictions entering Cananda; explosives, firearms..... firewood was not on the list.
Next time you go to Canada, when they ask for declarations tell them you have a 357 pistol!....Only do this if you have a lot of time on your hands and are bored.

Mnay years ago me and two friends were going fishing in western Canada. Two of use brought handguns (something about brown bears at close quarters bothers us--I know we shouldn't be predjudiced about brown bears, they have to eat to!)

When we declared the handguns you would have thought we were bringing nuclear weapons with us. Wow what a stir! After about a half hour of being lectured by Canadian border guards one of us got out, took the guns and stood on the American side while we went through then turned around.

Our guide was not happy when we cancelled the trip from the nearest phone, but that is how it goes. It is hard to use a flyrod with a shotgun strapped to your back. I am slightly disabled and doubt I can climb fast enough to get out of reach and have no illusions about kicking a bears @$$.

So, since then, no more trips to Canada for me...I may go to black bear areas for lake fishing, but no trips into brown bear country for river fishing. My other past trips to Canada were okay, but this one was the one to remember.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I wonder if firwood in a bag would be protection.

Or some inventor, could find a market in a spray that kills bugs and can burn with out getting the human population sick.

I would assume processed wood, like 2X4s would be OK.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is true. In the U.P. of MI they'd rather you cut down dead trees in the state forest than bring in wood. Here in IL, they have quarantined most of the northern half of the state from even transporting wood and some of the recyclers that take grass clippings and such were even talking about stopping service here in northern IL.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
The customs official said that wood like fence posts would be OK.

The other couple we were traveling with had a large Labrador. Coming into the US they wanted to know if they had any dog food. (Beef products; mad cow disease) This was a hard question to avoid and since they had just purchased a new large bag of dog food, weren't ready to give it up too easily. They said she was on a special vegetarian diet. While in Nova Scotia, the grocery stores were not very prevalent, so we were purchasing our meats from a local pork farm just down the road. The meat was excellent and wwe decided to pack the fridge to enjoy when we got home. I thought we were home free when we finally got to th border, but of course they wanted to check inside (I think they just wanted to see the A/S, the two other parties were a pop up and SOB). I told my wife to do whatever it takes to not give up the bacon, ribs and chops. No further questions.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
We now use only a propane gas camp fire with fake logs,is real nice. we can use it when fire restrictions are in place (like where we are now)or in places that do not allow wood camp fire here in the west.Just turn on and light and when done just turn off, put lid on and put in squarestream. No bugs,No smoke,No forest fires. This is best thing we have bought in some time.I guess this is another thing that makes us squarestreamers different. We like fake fires.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A friend told me that they were not allowed to bring sausage across the border from Canada many years ago before mad cow disease. Maybe it is long standing. It seems that the meat has to be canned or frozen but can't be fresh. I don't know where I heard that. Maybe from airline people.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Just when I thought I could leave the chainsaw at home . . .
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Makes sense. We experience an invasive issue, but with weeds, on our lake where boats are inspected at the boat ramp for certain weeds that hitch a ride on the engine parts.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Makes sense. We experience an invasive issue, but with weeds, on our lake where boats are inspected at the boat ramp for certain weeds that hitch a ride on the engine parts.
Yep - invasive milfoil! Nasty little weed that takes over and closes out the sunlight getting into the lake depths - with predictable results. Again, and now more than ever, we need to be good stewards of this land and educate ourselves every step of the way. I want my grandchildren, and their children, and all who follow, to enjoy all that I have enjoyed - and not just in photo albums, zoos, and aquariums!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I've seen the damage beetles did in the Colorado mts when I lived there, not pretty. ... DG
Yes, the pine bark beetle has been ruining pines all over the west. Down near Santa Fe, you can search far and wide to try to find a living Pinon pine tree. The damned things are also starting to infest the Ponderosa pines down closer to Taos. Not up here yet, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Lynn
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

See the link below for info on the EAB.
Emerald Ash Borer Information Network

Being an Internationally Certified Arborist, I have attended training to identify, report and treat possible infestations in urban forests. Nasty little buggers! Trying to avoid a repeat of Dutch Elm Disease, Sudden Oak Death and Oak Wilt. There are treatments, but very hard to treat an entire forest effectively, as we learned w/ Dutch Elm. The best solution/prevention is to diversify tree species throughout our urban forests (neighborhoods).
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Considering the devastation caused by the Mountain Pine Beetle here in British Columbia, leaving firewood at home makes sense.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote