Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Camper shot dead

Did you see this?

Albuquerque police may give details on Sandia foothills shooting - Las Cruces Sun-News
Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Another report:

Witness recounts fatal APD standoff | ABQJournal Online
Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
At the title of your thread, I assumed you were talking about an incident at a KOA or something like that. Amazing how we all process information.

Sad and disturbing situation. I'm making more inferences now after reading the eyewitness account too.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We had a case here in Toronto this summer where police shot dead a mentally ill young man. At that occasion somebody captured the incident on camera, as a result the officer shooting is now facing a murder trial.

Police officers not being trained effectively to deal with the mentally ill appears to be a common condition.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
We had a case here in Toronto this summer where police shot dead a mentally ill young man. At that occasion somebody captured the incident on camera, as a result the officer shooting is now facing a murder trial.

Police officers not being trained effectively to deal with the mentally ill appears to be a common condition.
That has happened here in New Orleans as well. Problem is, as I see it, mental illness is not a visible condition; you can't fault an officer for not knowing that the person is mentally ill and can't understand what's happening. They don't exactly wear a sign around their necks saying "I'm not well; please help me." All the officers can tell is, they're shouting orders at someone who isn't doing what they're told.

As for the officer in question, I think murder is an excessive knee-jerk response; manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge, if charges must be filed at all.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
American police have killed over 5000 persons since 1999. Barney Fife would have done a better job in far too many of these cases (thinking of the recent killing where the dead man was in a wheelchair, missing an arm and leg, and "armed" with a pencil), but we have had these agencies turned in to a standing army arrayed against us.

It might be said, the mentally ill you will always have among you. It is not the new thing, only the BS about "officer safety".

Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - this topic is very misleading - I would not call this guy a camper - he was miles from a campground
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I agree with Ken.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Camper shot dead

In complete agreement. This thread is closed as it really has nothing to do with camping. If other information sheds light that supports that this was a "Camper" related incident we will re-look at opening the thread.

On behalf of the site team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread