Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Camp near the Horseshoe Pit?

We recently camped at a state park that was sold out. Our reservations were made long ago and after conferring with the online map to find the 'perfect' site. What the map failed to note was that there was a horseshoe pit adjacent to the site.

When we pulled in and discovered this we asked nicely to be moved to another site and were flatly refused.

After a few hours of horseshoes winging by the trailer we asked if they could close the pit for the duration or maybe put an emergency fence (orange plastic roll with metal stakes) around the pit - again refused. The next plan was to nicely ask folks who came to play to please not. That didn't go over especially well either.

While we are willing to play the lottery with potential hazards in campsites like dead branches overhead and blue ice blocks falling from the sky, throwing a 4 pound horseshoe directly at an airstream seems akin to throwing a hammer - a bad idea. We finally pulled out asking for a refund for the remaining 3 nights (which was refused) and headed home.

So what would you have done in this situation?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
It's amazing what a handwritten note of legal transference of liability does to the situation.

Chances are you would have been given your money back and asked to leave.

Short of that, I would have also left. Life is to short.

Of course I may also have accidentally tied a rope from the truck to the swingset on my way out.......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I would have waited for my turn to play and then somehow forget where I put the horseshoes. Understand your concerns...always worry when the kids start tossing the football & baseball.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

Of course I may also have accidentally tied a rope from the truck to the swingset on my way out.......

We seriously considered buying some of the rubber snakes they sold at the interpretive center giftshop - placing them in the sand pit and then putting up a 'danger' sign...

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've NEVER seen anyone using the horseshoe pit at a park. Your Airstream must have drawn them in. Sounds like it was the most popular place in the campground

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That had to be uncomfortable but you did the right thing.

A reasonable review on yelp or trip advisor mentioning that the horshoe pit is next to site #? can at least help the next person avoid it

When making park or hotel reservations I try to remember to ask during or shortly after reservations if I'm near the restroom, group campfire, ice machine, elevator, the stairs, the cut through to the beach/bike path/the trail, the doggy run etc.

I just read a great review for a San Diego condo that was stellar except for the beach visitors cutting thru the patio area over a sign that said no access.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Sault Ste. Marie , Ontario
The Horse Shoe park

Perhaps you should give the address of the park or general location, but not the campground name on this forum. A boycott of that park would go a long way for"payback"
The large corporate parks also have public feedback and Trip Advisor should have unfavorable comments.
Experience has taught that most CG operators do not have your interest in mind.
first choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by first choice View Post
Perhaps you should give the address of the park or general location, but not the campground name on this forum. A boycott of that park would go a long way for"payback"
The large corporate parks also have public feedback and Trip Advisor should have unfavorable comments.
Experience has taught that most CG operators do not have your interest in mind.
This was a state park in ID. While it's a lovely place and they clearly are working hard to make a great experience with limited resources, the placement of the pit was unfortunate. Interestingly it was heavily used as were other similar facilities. They had volleyball courts and concrete ping pong tables as well. The park was full of families with kids and they were using all these facilities. It was actually lovely to see families camping with kids and all playing together. No cell service in that area may account for the family vibe at the park

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If there is really the type of hazard, that you imply is associated with the site you reserved, you should send a complaint to the State agency responsible for the park.

We would have left. The noise would have driven us nuts.

If we were in a location where we could not go home, we might have moved to the park driveway or parking lot and waited for another site to open up.

Posting a review that site # XX has this type of noise source or hazard is valuable to campers looking for a satisfying experience, and you might consider that action.

Good luck next time. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If I were you, I would send a letter stating your concerns of possible damage done to your vintage AS by an over enthused novice horseshoe throw. In your letter include various replacement panel costs and your concerns of safety for trailer and personnel sitting at your site. Include suggestions to remedy this over site in this situation, such as netting for example.

I totally understand your concerns.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
More and more these days when considering making campground reservations, I try go remember to do a little research with google maps satellite view - it can often help you to know what you are getting into!

Also handy to see how easy sites might be to get into, and what is nearby - interstates, railroads and such!

I use it also if we plan an overnight stop at a Flying J that we have not used before in order to see what facilities they have for overnight RV parking. Most are pretty good but a few are not!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
It's hard to say what I would do since I was not in the situation. I will say that we have left parks with remaining days paid before for a variety of reasons including poor site placement & traffic noise, trouble with the trailer itself, and changes in our travel plans. The parks have a business model they run to and I respect that they do not refund unused nights and I agree to those terms when I make a reservation. For me - I would place protection of person and protection of my tow vehicle & shiny aluminum shelter on wheels on the list of reasons to leave early as well! Good choice.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Brian has it right...with all the internet sources and maps it takes little effort to check out the location of a particular site relative to surrounding features. Of course, that doesn't help when you pull off the road for an unplanned overnite. But personally, I enjoy the upfront planning and checking out campgrounds and specific sites. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote