Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Camp hosting sounds like it could be a neat experience..... especially if your host is "Batman"!
Would it work like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batman.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	181469  
Attached Images

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I don't know about other campgrounds but where we were it was not a problem that I know of, but then we did not spend a lot of time w staff after hours. As for cigars, please don't smoke one near me...it could cause my tummy to do wild things leaving you with a mess to clean up

Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
I don't know about other campgrounds but where we were it was not a problem that I know of, but then we did not spend a lot of time w staff after hours. As for cigars, please don't smoke one near me...it could cause my tummy to do wild things leaving you with a mess to clean up
Off-topic, and meaning no offense since you're honest about why you don't like cigar smoke…

But as a former smoker (quit cold-turkey 5 years and 10 months ago. Yay, me!) I have to wonder: Why is it that people who are concerned about the health risks of secondhand smoke always complain about cigars and cigarettes, but seldom complain about aromatic pipe tobacco? Or barbecues? Or campfires? I wish more people who object to the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke would just say so, and not try to sound self-righteous about their health when inhaling other types of smoke don't bother them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Excuse me...it makes me sick...period! I can move away from campfires, cigarettes, pipes, cigars or whatever smoke there is. We have camped next to inconsiderate people that do not know how to build a campfire and end up smoking us out and making us sick. No smoke for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Off-topic, and meaning no offense since you're honest about why you don't like cigar smoke…

But as a former smoker (quit cold-turkey 5 years and 10 months ago. Yay, me!) I have to wonder: Why is it that people who are concerned about the health risks of secondhand smoke always complain about cigars and cigarettes, but seldom complain about aromatic pipe tobacco? Or barbecues? Or campfires? I wish more people who object to the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke would just say so, and not try to sound self-righteous about their health when inhaling other types of smoke don't bother them.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Excuse me...it makes me sick...period!
Apologies. Though I meant no offense to you, it appears that I offended you anyway. Mea culpa.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Dennis I'll have to try and remember that. Please do leave some fish for us. It is only for 2 nights that we'll be there. We will be close to you actually, up the hill to the left. Can't wait. We are staying in Silver Lake for a week before getting there located in the June Lake Loop. From there we go up to Saddlebag and a few others within a short driving distance. If you get to Lee Vining, don't forget to eat at the Mobil Mart on 120 and 395. Very good food!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
c Lewis, So great. I hope it is that cool to camp with us. Come on out to visit.
StreamN, I think we all go to these places to get away from noise and pollution so we can enjoy the clean air and beautiful scenery. Not to be polluted by noise or smoke from neighbors, camp fires, BBQ's, Trucks, Generator's, Etc. Some people have health issues and can not tolerate smoke or air-born contaminates of any kind. For some it is a healthy choice. I know what you mean about the smoky camp fires from green campers using green wood. Hopefully the only wood they will be able to burn will be seasoned wood for sale on site, or bring there own.
Protagonist, Congratulations 5 years 10 Mo. Tobaco is the hardest thing to quit. 27 years for me and I can still remember how nice it was to have a smoke after a meal or with a cup of coffee.
Subfan, thanks for the heads up on the Mobile Mart in Lee Vining. I can't wait to explore the surrounding area. I hear there are many Natural Hot Springs very close by.

Dennis
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Protagonist, Congratulations 5 years 10 Mo. Tobaco is the hardest thing to quit. 27 years for me and I can still remember how nice it was to have a smoke after a meal or with a cup of coffee....

Dennis
Quitting is very tough. I had my last cigarette on May 29, 1972 at 9:59 am, but who is counting.... I went through Schick's aversion therapy to help me quit. It was very successful for me and now I don't miss it at all. My wife quit cold turkey with a group of her friends in 1971 and says she still misses having a cigarette after a meal.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Protagonist Batman and Scott - congrats on quitting and staying off cigarettes for so long. I quit cigarettes cold turkey 22 years ago - was a 3 pack/day fiend and never touched them since. I do smoke a cigar on weekends however. Odd - I truly hate the smell of cigarettes but I love the smell of cigars and pipes. I can understand how it can be unpleasant though so I worry about that for camping (our maiden AS voyage is next month). I can't imagine not sitting around a campfire with good friends, cigars and adult beverages but certainly don't want to make folks sick. :-/

:heartscommunity: :-)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I know this is an old thread, but my wife and I are considering hosting and I would love an honest update from batman as to how things turned out. I worked as a California State Park ranger in a former life but I know the world has changed. I fear that this maybe one of my great sounding ideas that turns out otherwise. Hate to start counting the days after the first week.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
My wife and I start a week of hosting at Kejimkujik National Park in Nova Scotia this coming Sun Aug 17th...a bit out of the way for most...but if there drop by!!
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #26
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
My wife and I start a week of hosting at Kejimkujik National Park in Nova Scotia this coming Sun Aug 17th...a bit out of the way for most...but if there drop by!!

I spent quite a few nights at Kej. Loved it because you did have to wonder a bit to get there and it is dark. On one of the trips , I stumbled across Joshua Slocum's school house on Mount Hanley Rd. Big time thrill. I was actually looking for the 1605 wintering spot of Samuel de Champlain at Port Royal where he established "the order of good cheer". Eventually found it. Made a lot more sense than Saint Croix. Hope you have a nice week and clear skys. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Convict Lake. One of the most beautiful lakes off HWY 395. Love the restaurant, the best food on the east side.

Fishing? Not so good.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
I know this is an old thread, but my wife and I are considering hosting and I would love an honest update from batman as to how things turned out. I worked as a California State Park ranger in a former life but I know the world has changed. I fear that this maybe one of my great sounding ideas that turns out otherwise. Hate to start counting the days after the first week.

Poppy
I'm not batman, but the singuy and I hosted at San Elijo last year and are hosting there again in a couple of months. We have also hosted at Greenbelt in Md the past two years. Both places were great adventures. Not sure how San Elijo will work out this year as they have totally changed their host positions.

You need to know upfront what your hosting requirements are. We will not clean bathrooms. And don't apply for host positions that require that. YMMV.