Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Camp Directory

What is your choice for locating campgrounds, Woodall, Camping World or ? Are any better than the AAA freebies?

RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
These are usually the first places we look when planning trips. Don't forget "dispersed camping", which is often free. Also, there are many beautiful camping areas in state parks.

U.S. National Park Service Find A Park

National Forests & Grasslands: Recreational Opportunities and Distance Map

For commercial campgrounds, we use the Trailer Life Directory, hard copy in the Bambi; and Microsoft Streets & Trips and Google Earth, online.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Found a new site for US Recreation Area campground searches:

Find Recreation Facilities -
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
My first stop for checking out RV parks and camping in unknown (and known) locations is It is an extremely well-designed website, easily navigated by state-by city without instruction, and full of useful information in a consistent format (including links to the park websites). The “reviews” and ratings are user- generated, and there’s no real common denominator. Some people rate every location a 9 or 10, while others are more objective. I find it is helpful to look at user’s ratings of parks that I’ve frequented so that I can somewhat calibrate their individual rating scale. The site covers both commercial RV parks, and local/county/state/national parks if users have generated reviews. If I need additional information, I prefer Trailer Life to Woodalls, and I sometimes look at AAA if I have further questions since they often provide information relative to the number of sites/acre so that I can get a sense of how jammed things really are. I also pay special attention to nearby state and county parks, and visit their websites in advance or while on the road. All in all, there’s more art than science to the process because the beauty of the surrounding area often colors opinions of the campground per se; consequently, no matter which approach one uses, a parking lot in Yosemite tends to score higher than a “resort” in the middle of nowhere. I too like MS Streets & Trips for planning my routes and measuring distances.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote