Looks top heavy to me.

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Arvada , Colorado

I had the good fortune to be treated to a Camp-A-Float trip back in 1978 or so. We went out for nearly a week on Lake Ouachita, Arkansas. Wonderful experience. I too have often wondered what happened to them. I'm sure I have some pics that we took of our trip as well as some pics of another group preparing to go out. They would be 35mm slides. If I can locate these, I'd be glad to share after I get them scanned into digital format. Interested viewers may contact me about this.

ednixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
Usually Sleepy
1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
...maybe it's time to revisit some of my interrupted schemes...
If all your schemes are like this one, can I come out and play with you? We'll have loads of fun!!
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Jim Foster...we moved our boat out to the Calif Delta in about 1970, and I also remember those Camp-A-Float units cruising around the rivers and sloughs, from time to time...

I guess boating types liked the features of the actual houseboat rentals better than taking the chance of messing up their own RV, tied down to a 'barge'...and the Camp-A-Float outfits couldn't turn a continuing profit to make them worth it...compared with the competitive rental costs of houseboats...

I think the effort involved to get an RV on and off the 'barge' was another short coming of that configuration...

I think an Airstream strapped into the hanger deck of an aircraft carrier makes a much better 'Camp-A-Float' the astronaut moon visitors can probably vouch for...
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Mexray... You are probably right about people to rent houseboats rather than use their RV on a barge. The boats we rented had 120 gallons of fresh water and four Trojan golf cart batteries plus an engine battery. They were 42 feet long with a large front deck, and slept ten. They rented for less than $500 per week at that time. Pretty cheap for what you got.

The Camp a Floats were outboard powered, and were hard on gas. Our boats were diesel powered. They ran 1 1/2 hours on a gallon of $0.35 fuel at full speed. That's 9 miles per gallon with a 16,000 pound boat.

Pretty hard to compete with that. It was fun to see the Camp a Floats around the Delta though.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Question RV barge cruises

On a somewhat related topic, does anybody know anything about the RV barge cruises that were formerly offered?

A few years ago one or more companies conducted RV cruises on full-sized river barges propelled by a full-sized river towboat. My brother-in-law's family took their motor home on a Mississippi River cruise and had a blast. The tow was put together of RV barges for however many RVs were signed up, plus a "clubhouse" barge that gave everybody a place to hang out. Each RV had full hookups; there were large fresh water and waste water tanks and an AC generator on each barge.

We looked into it after we got our Airstream in 2003, but weren't able to find anything on the web. My brother-in-law called the company that they had cruised with and learned they were still in the river transportation business, but no longer offering barge RV trips. Supposedly they were prohibited by Department of Homeland Security after 9/11, although I can't imagine why.

Anybody know anything about it?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama

Thanks for the photos!!!!

I know what your going to be doing the next 5 years...1000 mags !!!

more photos here...
Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Carmichael , California
Camp a Float

Camp a Float was invented by my father Richard Reed and was successful for the most part. The mechanism that lifted the pontoon boats out of the water to load the RV was a sight to see. There were some issues with wind here on the Delta in California, people were not experienced piloting these large boats up river-ways with their expensive RV's on board. My father eventually moved on and started a new and more lucrative company called Store a Float. He built marinas for several locations including Lake Mead which is where he was working when he was killed in a helicopter accident. I am not sure if there are any camp a float installations still in operation for public use, the last time I heard anything about them the were being used for barges.
iamatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, thanks for that update on this interesting history item!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We had a barge on which we built a camp. It was great!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
Found this cool postcard with a picture of the Camp-A-Float! Camp-A-Float: Convert your camper into a private houseboat Rockford, IL Postcard

And I found a forum with an article about the Camp-A-Float here:

It really is a cool concept!
loriinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #26
3202 Ellie
1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
cool I like it.

boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote