Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
In my tirepressure search, I once came to a Doomsday preppers forum, wrote to my question about it " when the elephant blows".

If that ever would happen, only laws of nature counts, and you want as long possible tirelive, because the are not made new anymore.
And you need good gripp, to get out of difficult situations, etc.

So all the rules and laws, are usefull to know, but are based on rules of nature. Only history made a bit of mess of it all, with different systems and old calculations still used and published.

The Endurance ST , to my conclusions , only have N speedrated on them , because Trump demanded it , but still are calculated in maxload for 65mph.
They dont give the 10psi higher pressure and 10% lower maxload for 140kmph/ 87mph anymore, I think because not needed ,because maxload and pressure is high enaugh for the replacement of the ols ST, and advice/prescription is using the " maximum" pressure.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #82
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
….. The Endurance ST , to my conclusions , only have N speedrated on them , because Trump demanded it …..
Emphasis mine!!

You need you put a "/s" for snark or sarcasm, otherwise people will think you think that is true.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Talking Let's relax a bit, and respect our expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have written a number of times on the advisability of running trailer tires at the inflation molded on the tire sidewall.

Some posts dove deep into the science behind the recommendation. I know this can make your eyes glaze over so how about just following what Goodyear says in their RV Tires information web page:

"Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

But hey what do I know? Maybe the guy in the next campground knows more about tire science. I only worked as an actual tire design and forensic engineer for 40 years and am court certified as an "expert".
You covered it all, beautifully: If you can run max sidewall pressure, WITHOUT creating issues from shaking the Trailer and contents, DO IT.

If your tires are significantly over-configured for the load, and you "need" to reduce pressure, in order to reduce shaking of the AS and contents: Then do that. But do not ever go below the minimum PSI on your manufacturer's table of "Tire cold PSI versus Tire Load" - stay as high as you can.

(Personally, I do need to run reduced, having an extremely light Trailer with under-loaded LRE tires. But my usage is exactly as you have prescribed in this post - only reducing to pressure to resolve 'poor ride quality problems'.)

Thank you for a great post!
rickst29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Per Goodyear [ATTACH].

Our 25’ Classic max weight is 8000. Based on this chart being that we run ST225/75R15 I can run tire pressure at 60 (9520lbs) or 65 (10160lbs) that will give us a very nice cushion ride for the trailer and lots of cushion under max pressure and temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	349704  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #85
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
You covered it all, beautifully: If you can run max sidewall pressure, WITHOUT creating issues from shaking the Trailer and contents, DO IT.

If your tires are significantly over-configured for the load, and you "need" to reduce pressure, in order to reduce shaking of the AS and contents: Then do that. But do not ever go below the minimum PSI on your manufacturer's table of "Tire cold PSI versus Tire Load" - stay as high as you can.

(Personally, I do need to run reduced, having an extremely light Trailer with under-loaded LRE tires. But my usage is exactly as you have prescribed in this post - only reducing to pressure to resolve 'poor ride quality problems'.)

Thank you for a great post!

Good approach