Old 11-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Callifornia Bound

Hey Folks, Tamis, the great leach of the Airstream Knowledge Base here, looking to suck some more info from all.

After buying my first A.S., back in June, repeated increases in my MasterCard to make repairs, and a new (old) tow vehicle, it looks I'm off to AZ around the 1st of the year, to pick up my new ('72) Ambassador. I plan to spend about 4 months in the vicinity of Sacramento, CA, once I pick it up. And escape the winter of NE Ohio.

I'm looking for any recomendations for RV parks in the vicinity of Placerville, that might work for the 4 months I'm out there. I've emailed a couple of places, and other than monthly rates that were a little like the mortgage payment on the house, would work fine. Any experience's in that area would be appreciated.

Also, during the coarse of my inquiries, a couple of places, as a matter of general policy statement, said only RV's newer than 1990 were welcome. I made no mention of the make, or year of my TT, only the size, and time frame. Now, I've seen some mighty shabby 10 year old RV's, units that could have come out of "The Grapes of Wrath", and could understand why nobody would like to look at them. But that is certainly not the case with my darling. She needs some more work, but is very respectable, in my opinion. How is the subject of age discrimination dealt with on vintage AS's? Is it really a problem?

Thanks, in advance to all. And have a great Thanksgiving! Tamis

Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
I'm looking for any recomendations for RV parks in the vicinity of Placerville, that might work for the 4 months I'm out there. I've emailed a couple of places, and other than monthly rates that were a little like the mortgage payment on the house, would work fine. Any experience's in that area would be appreciated.
Sorry, no exp out in the Placerville/Sacto/Central Valley area. But I do know that the winters out there are a lot colder relative to the San Francisco bay area. In fact, their summers and winters are at the extremes - very hot or very cold. If you don't have to be out there, I'd recommend being closer to the SF bay area where the winters are mild. For example, we usually get a nice spell of 70 degree weather for 2 wks in January every year, and it typically doesn't get colder than 50 at night with highs of 60s in the winter. Not too shabby. The KOA in Petaluma offers a monthly rate of about $650 + electricity and it's close to Napa and Sonoma if you like wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
Also, during the coarse of my inquiries, a couple of places, as a matter of general policy statement, said only RV's newer than 1990 were welcome... How is the subject of age discrimination dealt with on vintage AS's? Is it really a problem?.
heh, heh, heh....welcome to California....

Seems most RV parks make their own rules and regs, so you just have to find one that doesn't discriminate. I've seen some that won't let you park there unless you have one of those 35' million dollar plus buses in their park....

Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Trailer Restrictions

I made 22,000 miles this summer and only restriction I found was No Germand Shepard's in MD.
I never told anyone the age of my rigg, just 24'. I did have two managers look at her prior too letting me stay.

Don
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, Sarmimi.

Last winter I rented a house in Glen Ellen, and commuted to Sacramento, 5 days a week. The drive made me crazy. Also a very wet winter. The wine was great though. I want to shorten the drive to an hour a day instead of 4. And find someplace with some trees. It seems that if I go up the hill a little bit, but stay under 2000', I'll be fine, and out of the fog too. Were I to stay home in OH, I would have to deal with 15-20 degrees, and 10' of snow. Doesn't take much to improve on that.

Now, about that age discrimination thing........ seems like it should be outlawed in CA.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Now you're talking, Don