Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

1996 25' Excella
Baytown , Texas
California Travels this summer

We are taking our grand daughter to Cali this summer. We are going to Disneyland, all the way up to San Fran. Total of 14 days in California.

Where are the "best family" places to stay? Easy as possible in/out, maybe shuttles or public transport. Especially in the San Fran area.

Any and all info. Is appreciated
nepatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would recommend somewhere around Santa Rosa. It's about an hour north of SF as I recall.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
When staying in Northern CA. I would stay at Skyline Park in Napa. The park is clean and quite (skylinepark.org). From this point you can drive to the upper valley to wine taste or over to the coast and visit pt. Reyes and the many beaches there (bring jacket). Six Flags @ Vallejo is 20 mi. away. Use the Vallejo Ferry to take you over to SF, use public Trans to get around the city. The Jelly Belly factory is 30 mi. away in Fairfield. The state capitol in Sacramento is 60 mi. away and the state fair could be going. If you do go to Vallejo, ALWAYS leave that town before sunset. Hope you have a great time. - Ray
Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
If you want to visit the City of San Francisco check out Treasure Island RV Park, South San Francisco RV Park 94080 Located just south of the city in South San Francisco. The bus stop is at the entrance of the park and will take you into the hart of the city where you can ride the Cable cars , trollies, and buses to all the attractions of the city.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
An important question... how old is your grand daughter? Depending on her age, going into San Francisco may be much more interesting for you than for your grand daughter.

The San Francisco Bay Area is not particularly RV friendly, at all. You will need to stay out of the area, for the most part, and go into the city by car or other means.

I grew up and lived in the SF Bay Area until I was 45 years of age and have returned on a few occasions in recent years (I'm now 65.). There are some wonderful things to appreciate as an adult. But I'm not so sure that a very young person, again depending on her age, would find being in the Bay Area to be such an exciting thing.

I would not discourage your visit there, but be aware that RVing in San Francisco is almost impossible. Coming into San Francisco from a remote place is do-able, but downtown is incredibly congested, parking is extremely limited. It's a pretty cool (and very expensive) place to be, but not such an easy place to visit, especially for an RVer.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We stayed at Candlestick RV Park several years ago, and it was perfect for us.

It is a secure, gated facility, very nice, and has a shuttle to/from downtown.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
There's a nice KOA campground on the north side of Petaluma. They have a play area for kids and used to have a petting zoo on weekends. It's pretty centrally located with access to the Beaches around Bodega Bay, the redwoods in Armstrong State Park along the Russian River, Napa wineries (in case you need a break from kid-oriented activities), and the bay area. You can catch a ferry into SF from Tiburon and Sausalito, or drive in across the Golden Gate bridge. Time your travels to avoid morning and evening rush hour traffic if you can.

PS: Californians typically don't call the state "Cali"
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
As you are coming up from Disneyland (Anaheim), why not plan to drive up Big Sur.

If you do, you can visit Hearst Castle, and Santa Cruz as well. Places to stay:

1) San Simeon - State campground

Big Sur Area
2) Plaskett Creek - BOOK NOW
3) Kirk Creek - BOOK NOW
If you miss out, there are some walkup sites available, but I have never had any luck. You can boondock up the Los Burros/Willow Creek Road as a last resort, or even in some of the Route 1 turnouts.
4) Big Sur State Park - BOOK NOW. There is access to a great beach a short drive away.
5) Monterey Bay Aquarium. There is a KOA on Route 156 plus some other campgrounds in the Monterey area. If you are DOD or retired military, you can camp at the NPGS campground.

Santa Cruz Area
6) Check out the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. There are a few places to camp
- Seabright SB - BOOK NOW (sites by lottery)
- New Brighton SB - BOOK NOW
- Call the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbour - they have full hookups in the upper harbour and a water taxi

Best of luck!

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatte View Post
We are taking our grand daughter to Cali this summer. We are going to Disneyland, all the way up to San Fran. Total of 14 days in California.

Where are the "best family" places to stay? Easy as possible in/out, maybe shuttles or public transport. Especially in the San Fran area.

Any and all info. Is appreciated
If you want to get along with the locals, it is California NOT Cali!
RMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Also it's San Francisco NOT San Fran, Frisco, or other affectionate shorter names.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Area around Candlestick, and in San Francisco, is usually cold, windy, foggy in June, July, August. But the weather is changing so you might see the sun, or not. Take warm clothing, long pants, sweat hoodies, for San Francisco. It's cold there in the summer. Can be in the 40's with 30kt winds (great sailing). Lived there 40 years.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Magdalena , New Mexico
And don't refer to San Francisco as "San Fran."
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I'll second the recommendation to see Big Sur and the Monterey Aquarium. Both are great destinations regardless of age. There's a nice RV park north of Monterey on Hwy 1, Marina Dunes RV Resort. It would be a great place to stay for a visit to Monterey and Santa Cruz. It's also an easy shot over to Hwy 101 for the final trip north to the Bay Area.

If traveling north of San Francisco, pick a route that bypasses the cities. Take 101 to 680 North. Then take 80 West to 37 West around the north end of the bay over to Hwy 101. Although it's much shorter to drive straight through San Francisco and over the Golden Gate bridge, I wouldn't do it towing your AS. Too much traffic congestion.

On another note, Californians are a pretty friendly bunch. We're thrilled you're planning to visit our state with your grand daughter. Hope you have a blast and post photos of your trip here on the forums afterward.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMichler View Post
If you want to get along with the locals, it is California NOT Cali!
I find it easier to have a good experience with the locals if I don't get off on the wrong foot.
Correct. It is California. Not cali.
And local San Franciscans would prefer you to use the proper name, "San Francisco" or just "The City". Never "frico" and "San Fran" is only slightly less offensive.

Try Candlestick Park for RV camping. It will the closest to public transportation and things to see in, "The City".
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Nepatte,

There are three rv parks in or near San Fransisco.
Prices will vary according yo the date of your arrival. Call ahead.
Candlestick RV Park (415)822-2299, Treasure Island RV Park (650)994-3266, San Fransisco RV Resort (650) 355-7093.
Candlestick is in San Fransisco and Treasure Island is located in SSF (South San Fransisco) San Fransisco RV Resort is in Pacifica, CA. about 15minutes from down town San Fransisco.
Check them all out.
I would give consideration to San Fransisco RV Resort, It is just a paved parking lot, like Candlestick. However it is right on the Pacific Ocean with fantastic views and beach walks. It is closer to the Zoo and the famous Cliff House restarant.
If you are planning to venture North of the Golden Gate, there is a place in Geenbrae, CA. called the Marin RV Park (415)461-5199. However it is North of the Golden Gate bridge and toll for 2 axles/motorcycles $7.00, 3 axles is $21.00, for 4 axles $28.00, 5 axles $35.00, each time you cross in the Northern direction, no toll for Southbound traffic into The City.
Good journey!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
OK, I'm a carpetbagger. I have only lived in SoCal (we do call it that from time to time) for 25 years, but my reaction about the discussion on proper place names is: dudes, chill. Call it whatever, but if you want to sound like a local in SoCal, complain about the traffic. (Your visit will give you plenty of first-hand experience in that regard.)
Tod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
On your way north from Disneyland, stop in Santa Barbara. Walk on the beach, have lunch, visit the Mission, visit the Courthouse. You could do a Land Shark tour (amphibious vehicle). Rent a bike, kayak, SUP...tons to do and see. One of the most beautiful locations in the world. At least stop to take a look!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
California Camp Hround

We stayed at Marin RV Park in Greenbrae. Ten minute walk to the ferry ride direct to the Presidio. Quick ride north to Napa and John Muir forest, wood and beach. The ferry ride was a glorious beginning and end to the San Francisco day.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I will throw out another possible camping location. Anthony Chabot Regional Park.

Camping

They have a campground with full hookups and reservable. Close to the BART station in Castro Valley.

The only drawback is you have to be back my 10pm or they lock you out! I think this could be defeated though with some 2x4's.

FYI
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
I will throw out another possible camping location. Anthony Chabot Regional Park.

Camping

They have a campground with full hookups and reservable. Close to the BART station in Castro Valley.

The only drawback is you have to be back my 10pm or they lock you out! I think this could be defeated though with some 2x4's.

FYI
I've stayed there too! Love that campground! You can mountain bike on the fire trails. Nice!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote