Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
California this summer

I bought a 67 Overlander last month. Overall pretty nice (I will get some photos and figure out how to post). I plan to do a little winter camping locally(Albuquerque) and then some short mountain trips before I do a 2 week to the west coast. I have a brother in Santa Barbara and I used to live in Ventura. I want to spend a fair amount of time on the beach and know about the California State Park reservation system. So on Jan 2 I will be making several reservations up and down the coast. Tenative from San Diego to Big Sur first two weeks of July. Any favorites out there I should stay at? Particular sites I should reserve if possible? Great mountain detours I should take? I am open to Private RV parks, National Forest and certainly boondocking where available...but thought I would try to get some choice reservations along the way.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Joe---Sounds like you have a great trip pretty well mapped out. And since you know the area, your personal favorites need to be at the top of your list.
My list includes Julia Phieffer (sp?) state park in Big Sur.

Welcome to the forums and have a great trip.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
About 4 miles north of the Hearst Castle turnoff there is a rest stop and viewing area for the elephant seals. Signs say you can't "camp", but the highway patrol has told me that using the parking area as an overnight rest stop is OK, they just discourage people from setting out their BBQs and lounge chairs to settle in. It is one of the great stops along Highway 1.

I've been told this actually applies to any "rest stop" in California. The determining factor seems to be that you need to look like you're traveling, not camping.

Zep
Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Bob & Zep

thanks for the recommendations...I lived near Ventura over 20 years ago and since I lived in a little beach house all my camping was in the hills in a tent, so all recommendations pulling my 26 footer are appreciated. At the Big Sur campground any "favorite spots" if I can reserve a specific site number? I am either going to stay at Refugio or Pismo for 4th of July. I know that Pismo does fireworks right on the beach, and at the Harbor in Santa Barbara as well. If I stay at Refugio, I was thinking of "parking" along the highway or in the parking lot during the day...having a "cocktail lounge" set up for the day activity.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Joe----I don't have a specific camp site for you at Big Sur. The whole place is soooo nice. Enjoy the journey.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
working from south to north...
Refugio is nice as you probably know. It's probably my favorite beach campsite, Morro Bay SP, San Simeon SP are nice also but busy in the summer, as are all nice spots. East from Morro Bay on Hwy 41 is the wine country of San Luis Obispo county, if you are looking for a day trip. Back on Hwy 1 - Plaskett creek is another one that I like. Lime Kiln is great for a day hike up the canyon - ferns and redwoods, etc. but they have a very short limit on RV length. Of course Big Sur is nice.
Enjoy your trip,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
thanks for suggestions

I occasionally go south of LA, but typically start Highway 1 at Santa Monica or north. I am new to the airstream experience so using a trailer on the coast is new to me. I think maybe I will shoot for Leo Carillo, then Ventura (Emma wood), Refugio, Morro Bay, and Big Sur. Thanks again for input.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Hi Bob,
We travelled this past summer from Durango, CO to Orange County then down the coast to Carlsbad in our 69 18' Caravel. We stayed at a nice little old-fashioned place there called Paradise by the Sea RV Resort. Paradise By The Sea R.V. Resort Carlsbad, Ca. We took the coastliner train into San Diego on several occasions and it was perfect. We avoided traffic, parking, etc and enjoyed the coast that way.

Krista
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
thanks Krista

I checked that website, it is nice...I really like the state park at Dana Point (Dohney I think) if you are back that way again. Has it warmed up any in Bayfield. It finally felt like a regular December day here in Albuquerque after about a week of cold. Joe