Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Cool California or Bust!

Just had our first official planning meeting for our trip from Seattle down to Palo Alto this summer:

July 10th Bellevue -> Tillamook, OR (Big Spruce RV)
or (Paradise Cove Resort & Marina)
July 12th Tillamook -> Kalamath Falls, CA (Klamath River RV Park)
July 13th Kalamath -> Leggett, CA (
Redwoods River Resort)
July 14th Leggett -> Pacifica, CA ( San Francisco RV Resort)
July 18th Pacifica -> Scotia, CA (Stafford RV Park)
July 19th Scotia -> Ashland, OR ( ??? )
July 21st Ashland -> McMinnville, OR ( Wandering Spirit RV Park)
July 22nd McMinnville -> Home

Looking for tips and tricks; must see and stay away. None of these campgrounds is for sure so if you know something better or a reason to avoid any of these then shout out. Really could use some suggestions for Ashland since we'll be two nights there. Also any warnings about driving Hwy 1 and 101 with a trailer. And of course getting over the Golden Gate and down to Pacifica

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I can't find the correct thread with the information but you may want to make a trip to the Baker City Museum. I think they are doing something special this year.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
That sounds like a fun place but it'll have to wait for a different trip. It would be a 700 mile side trip from I-5 . We though about doing the interior of Oregon one direction or the other. I really like the Bend area and have a friend that moved there a couple years ago. But for this trip we're set on the coast for the most part with a shot on I-5 (looking now like it'll be the way down rather than the return) hitting Ashland for sure and probably McMinnville.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Take plenty of money. We spend three nights at RV parks in California on our trip last summer.

The bill for three nights? Three hundred bucks!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Take plenty of money. We spend three nights at RV parks in California on our trip last summer.

$100/night for 1 trailer hookup? Did they detail your tv while you slept?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
$100/night for 1 trailer hookup? Did they detail your tv while you slept?
Yep, we stayed in two different RV parks, they were fairly nice parks, but they were $100/ night. That's why we were only there for three nights. No trailer detailing, or anything, and the second one wanted more money to use their WI-FI.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Sounds like your in for a fun trip! Im two hours north of Palo Alto along 101... just incase you run into any trouble.
There is a big constuction phase going on near Santa Rosa where they are building new bridges and rerouting traffic conditions through some pretty tight lanes. I drive it every day so its do-able. Just watch your awning along that K-rail. The Golden gate bridge is easy too.. just stay to your right lane and use the far right lane for the toll booth. Then take 19th ave through the city and stay in the center lane and your good to go.

Enjoy!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
The Golden gate bridge is easy too.. just stay to your right lane and use the far right lane for the toll booth. Then take 19th ave through the city and stay in the center lane and your good to go.

Enjoy!

Vinnie
They're doing some construction from the GG bridge to 19th avenue and the concrete barriers look pretty tight on the exit curves.

Van Ness isn't particularly spacious either, but that's the way we went through the City when heading up 101 and back with the Tin Pickle. Van Ness Avenue has the advantage of giving a scenic view of SF, too.

The tradeoffs south of the Golden Gate Bridge are:

19th avenue to 280 - wider lanes (after that first construction bottleneck), lots of up and down hills on 280, but nice wide lanes and great views of the hills, OR

101 through SF - takes you through North Beach and down Van Ness, past City Hall and the Opera House, Views of bridges and Coit tower, to 101 freeway again (more complicated - watch for the signs) and a more level drive. 101 is closer to most of Palo Alto, depending on your actual destination.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Best/worst roads

Hey, Vinnie and webspinner,

Great info. Being that Fluffy (our tow vehicle) is under powered for towing I'm big on taking the flattest route possible. The campground destination is Pacifica so maybe 101 is the best option? My other concern, even though we'll try and plan "the crossing" for prior to evening rush hour is smoothness of traffic flow (i.e. avoid merges and traffic lights as much as possible).

Also (
considering that Fluffy is under powered) I was wondering about Hwy 1 vs 101 along the CA coast. My recollection from years decades ago is that hwy 1 has a lot of steep hills and narrow lanes. Are there sections where this is not the case and the views/attractions are worth hugging the coast?

-Bernie
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Bernie,

What is a fluffy? V8 powered something?
Hwy 1 North of San Francisco is beautiful but does have some short climbs.. but there are places to pull off if traffic piles up. This route will slow you down considerably. I would say that you could get your fill of the coast on CA"1" south of San Francisco. Its pretty much flat for your towing enjoyment.
Webspinner is right.. just after the GG Bridge the doyle drive earthquake retro fit has some tight lanes too but just take it easy and you will slide right through. I wouldnt change my route because of it.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I too would be interested in knowing what TV would earn the name fluffy.......
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
What is fluffy? V8 powered something?
V8? I wish Fluffy is our V6 2000 GMC Safari van (GMC's version of the Astro). We've got a tranny cooler and it's pulled Snoqualmie and North Cascades several times as well as Manastash Ridge on I-82 South of Ellensburg. So we can do hills but it's a bit of a strain. Pull out spots are a real bonus. However, it really does suck the gasoline. Small engines do worse than bigger ones when pushed hard. The major wear and tear is on my nerves
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
just after the GG Bridge the doyle drive earthquake retro fit has some tight lanes too but just take it easy and you will slide right through. I wouldnt change my route because of it.

Vinnie
I'd go with Vinnie's advice here. Pacifica is on Highway 1, on the ocean side of the SF Peninsula. Highway 101 runs along the bay side, on the wrong side of the coast range from where you want to end up.

Your best route, I think, would be 101 to the Golden Gate Bridge, 19th Ave to 280, then very, very soon after 280 begins, take the exit for Highway 1.

Yes, it is hilly and winding, but no worse than other hills you'll hit on your trip. Pacifica is on the side of a (small) mountain range at the edge of an ocean. There's no flat way to get there. It's beautiful, though, and worth the drive.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Bring Money (lawyers and guns optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Take plenty of money. ...
Part of the reason I've listed the campgrounds that we'll be making reservations at in the near future. We'll be caravaning with my brother-in-law and his late model Safari (our '74 Argosy is so getto ). He has a membership in Resort Parks Intl which is how we ended up making many of these selections. I'm going to look into their Enjoy America membership. Anyone out there have one The other 50% off discount RV camping club I was looking at is Passport America RV Club so if anyone has experience with that I'd like to hear it.

This is the breakdown of what the pricing is on our first round of picks. Of course there's a lot more to a vacation than just price so shout out if you know of any gems along the route. The locations were chosen not only for their proximity to things we thought we'd like to do and see but to keep the driving distance per day in the 250-300 mile range. There's more to vacations than just driving .

Tillamook OR:
Big Spruce RV, $26 + tax, Enjoy America! rate $13 (1st night only I think). Also part of Passport America.
The alternate in Tillamook looks really swank:
Paradise Cove Resort & Marina, I think it's $35/night but I'm not sure on the details or if any discounts apply. They are part of RPI.

Kalamath Falls, CA
Kalamath River RV Park, PUBLIC RATE $38 - $42, ENJOY AMERICA! RATE
1-Night Rate: $19 - $21. Also part of Passport America. Other PA campgrounds in Kalamath; Golden Bear RV Resort and Kamp Klamath

Leggett, CA
Redwoods River Resort ,PUBLIC RATE $28 - $45 ENJOY AMERICA! RATE 1-Night Rate: $14 - $22.50. This doesn't seem to be part of Passport America but Richardson Grove Campground And RV in nearby Garberville is and to the south Creekside RV Park and the very small Sleepy Hollow RV Park are also Passport America affiliated in Willits CA.

Pacifica, CA
San Francisco RV Resort, This one's expensive. $59 a night but that's no surprise given that it's 15 miles from downtown San Fran. This is where RPI could really pay off; RPI member rate: Peak season: 30% off. That would be $41 and we're looking to stay three nights (Fri, Sat, Sun). The closest Passport America park is Santa Rosa which when you pay for the gas, the toll and your time isn't really viable. The family reunion is in Palo Alto Sat & Sun.

Scotia, CA
Stafford RV Park, PUBLIC RATE $30, ENJOY AMERICA! 1-Night Rate: $15.
This one is also covered under the Passport America program.

Ashland OR
We haven't figured anything out yet. American RV Resorts in Talent OR is a Passport America affiliate. Normal Price: $28.00, PA rate: $14.00 It doesn't look very good in the reviews . Mountain Man RV Park in Cave Junction OR, is another PA affiliate. It's 30 miles outside of Ashland and since we'll be staying 2 nights and traveling into town each day that's a couple of hours of extra driving but at least it's not hauling the trailer. It doesn't get the best of reviews either . Maybe we'll just bite the bullet and stay in a hotel Then again, we'll be traveling with pets so that might not be an option either.)

McMinnville OR
Also not to firm on anything here yet.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
If you are coming to Ashland, you could look into Emigrant Lake. It is right off the I-5 and is pretty nice. The ride into town would be about 15 minutes or less. Not sure what the rates are, sorry. Have a fun trip!
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks much. Surprisingly Ashland seems to be just about the hardest area to find any info on or anywhere along our route.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Tsunami Damage?

Any word on damage to campgrounds along the Oregon/N. Calf. coast? I heard on the news that Crescent City was hard hit; that was one of our planned stops.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Ashland doesn't have too many camp grounds nearby. There is Valley of the Rogue campground right off the I-5 outside of the town. The river is lovely but it's a bit noisy due to the freeway. Lovely and clean, though.

Indian Mary Camp Ground is another place but we've not visited there so I can't recommend one way or the other.

I'll check around some more.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
North of Crescent City, we stayed at Harris Beach SP in Brookings OR a couple of years ago and would kill to return there soon.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post

Kalamath Falls, CA
Kalamath River RV Park, PUBLIC RATE $38 - $42, ENJOY AMERICA! RATE
1-Night Rate: $19 - $21. Also part of Passport America. Other PA campgrounds in Kalamath; Golden Bear RV Resort and Kamp Klamath
We stayed at Kamp Klamath 5 years ago. It was during off season and not many people were there. It isn't fancy but the sites were all grassy. They had one area in the shade and another in the sun. For the price it was an ok place to stay. We checked out some of the others in the area and KK seems to be typical of the campgrounds in the Klamath area.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote