Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
California in late April?

Is the southern part of California worth the bother in late April? Specifically the National Parks. I was thinking Sequoia and Yosemite but if I go that far west I want to see all the cool stuff. Extra points for boondocking spots! Wow me out or wave me off folks!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

When you said Yosemite you hit a homerun. You should go to Yosemite any and every time you get an opportunity to. Sequoia and Kings Canyon are places I dream of going to, but haven't yet. There's a book I read a couple of years ago called The Last Season, about a backwoods ranger at Sequoia Park. A great story with excellent visual descriptions of the landscapes. I would add to your list Death Valley, for sure, and perhaps more of the southern deserts area and the famous ghost town of Bodie up near Mammoth. Look for the hot springs in this area, they are well worth it. If time allows a trip up Highway 1 I would go west from Yosemite to Salinas and carmel, then south into Big Sur. You only need to go a short way down to see most of the really cool sights available. You could stay at Fernwood Resort or one of the other exorbitantly expensive places, but I would only do one night at such prices, unless the destination really suits me well. You can go to a beach or hike up into the coast mountains from the campgrounds. Fernwood Resort has the Big Sur river running through it, and some nice waterfalls. There is a small store and a restaurant/ tavern with occasional live music, and several other restaurants near by to choose from as well. If you go North up the coast you could go through Carmel, which is a picture-perfect little California seaside village. I recommend a walk through town, down to the beach at the end of town, for beautiful sunsets. Dinner in town if you can find a seat somewhere, good luck. Farther up highway 1 you go through Monterey, with it's famous Cannery Row, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium, a must-see if you are in the area. Next comes Seaside, and Marina, and then Castroville, the artichoke capitol of the world, and then if you continue you will come to Capitola, Aptos, and Santa Cruz. In the mountains above Santa Cruz, where I live, there is a state park called Big Basin Redwoods. It has some of the southernmost stands of old-growth redwood in California. There are no trailer ammenities here, but it's a wonderful side-trip, and you can spend as little as a couple of hours there and see some amazingly huge trees. From Santa Cruz you would either go north up highway 1 to San Francisco or east towards the south bay area and on into the central valley from there. Next destination: Gold Country! Auburn, Sutters Mill, and on up to Lake Tahoe, to see a show, and lose money at the tables.
There's lots to do in California in Springtime.

Have fun!
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
That sounds like a great trip Rich,

I have been to most if not all the places you just mentioned. April could still be a bit rainy but I think its one of the best times of the year to get out and see California. Go before the big crowds. Definately consider it..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Ahem, Vinnie, ever try to get into Yosmite in the spring! THAT is the time to go and the WORLD knows that. The waterfalls are spectacular then. There are RV parks near the entrances so try and get reservations. Viking has covered mos of the hot places to visit. Enjoy your trip.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Out of San Fransisco

The big motivation for going in to California is to get in a trip for mom and late April is what works for her. So looking where it is warm (ish), there are cool parks, and nearby airports, AND places I haven't taken her yet.... The winner looks to be Yosemite, and Kings Canyon.

I have about 10-14 days to work with. I was thinking she could fly in and out of the San Fransisco area. Spend a couple days there seeing the prison and what not, then Yosemite, Kings Canyon, & Sequoia. Is that to much to crunch into that period of time? Best campgrounds and stuff to see in the area?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I did Yosemite last April (just after tax day) and it was AMAZING. The waterfalls were gushing, wild flowers were fully in bloom and the major crowds had yet to show. My only regret was that the Tioga Pass & Glacier Point roads were still closed due to snow

I would have to agree with Rich, you can NEVER go wrong with Yosemite! I have yet to make it to Kings Canyon & Sequoia, that will have to wait till next spring, but I hear that they have amazing beauty as well. Enjoy and be sure to post lots of pics!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Yosemite Camp grounds

The park has openings in the following CGs for the time I have in mind. Which is the most desirable?

Hodgdon, Lower Pines, North Pines, Upper Pines, Wawona.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The park has openings in the following CGs for the time I have in mind. Which is the most desirable?

Thanks

We've stayed at Upper Pines. (It was the only one available when we were booking for July two years ago.) We had a great time. The camp sites are well maintained and obviously the setting was beautiful. From what we remember, the majority of the sites are back in only and most can only accommodate a 26 foot trailer or shorter (with the tow vehicle disconnected and parked next to it). We believe that all of the the "Pines" campgrounds are on the valley floor, making it very convenient for exploring, whether on foot, car or bicycle. Wawona is further away from the valley floor-we think about a thirty minute drive from the Wawona Hotel. (The Wawona Hotel cabins are amazing but not cheap for "cabins"-$300 a night over fifteen years ago. Needless to say we stayed one night.)

So it depends, if you and your mother want to be away from the crowds in the valley, opt for Wawona. Otherwise, all of the valley campsites are very convenient and you'll be right in the thick of things.

Which ever campgound you choose, we're sure you'll enjoy Yosemite. It's truly spectacular and you'll have many opportunities to take gorgeous photos with the Airstream.

There's also a great thread on the Forums about visiting San Francisco, "If You Had One Day San Francisco". http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...sco-51774.html

We hope you and your mother have a great time.

Happy and safe journeys,
Old 01-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Route 1 Morro Bay to Monterey

Looks cool on the map, how does it look from an AS? What is there to see, where to stay*? School me gang

*Extra points for inexpensive, trophy for boondocking spots.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
yes.......and, I can recommend the Mariposa KOA (near Yosimite's west entrance)
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
With only 10-14 days you might want to stay around central california. That includes Yosemite, the Bay Area.. Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Cannery row.. some wine tasting perhaps?

Lots to do and the time will fly by. Im sure you going to want to relax in there somewhere too.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Enjoy. If you run into trouble or want to stop by your always welcome in the Northbay.

Vinnie

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
With only 10-14 days you might want to stay around central california. That includes Yosemite, the Bay Area.. Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Cannery row.. some wine tasting perhaps?.......................................... .................................................. ..

Enjoy. If you run into trouble or want to stop by your always welcome in the Northbay.

Vinnie
I guess I should have been more clear. The portion of the trip that mom will be there for is about 10-14 days, I will have time in before that and after to see things as well. I was thinking about maybe spending some time on the coast if it can be done at a reasonable expense. After the Yosemite and Sequoia portion of the trip, I will most likely head east though Im not sure where to. Maybe Tahoe, as I have never been there. Is early May to early for that?

Thanks for the invitation, maybe we will get the chance to meet while Im in the area.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, Cal is big and there's lots and lots to see.

Mojave Desert Nat'l Preserve has 2 CG's and is good for boondocking. If it's comfortably warm/cool in the day it'll be really cold at night. There is water available. The Preserve is a strange place with many inholdings and much opportunity to just drive around and look at things. The old trail is 4WD.

Death Valley is starkly beautiful and also has the same temp guidelines. I don't think there's much in the way of RV CG's but we've always been there sans trailer. Also lots to see and wander through.

Sequoia has big trees and interesting stories about it, but after a few really big trees, it's a big forest. King's Canyon is mostly remote and must be accessed by foot. A long drive to the end of the road. Yosemite is the park to see. The shoulder seasons are the only time to actually appreciate it without crowds and traffic.

The PCH from Morro Bay to Monterey is a great drive with magnificent views of the ocean. Big Sur is strange and expensive, but worth it. Monterey has a great aquarium and coming from me that means a lot because I don't care much for aquaria.

Baker has an old Harvey House/train station that is slowly being restored. The Bagdad Cafe featured in a cult movie is south of the Preserve along old 66. Some pretty unusual old towns in the desert.

Tahoe is a beautiful lake, but didn't hold much more appeal to me. There is some NF around there that may be good for boondocking, but also may be covered in snow in April.

Sorry, not much help on CG's, boondocking.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
considering the temps so far this winter i would say be prepared to see low temps especially if you get to a little altitude... but all of it would be beatiful...
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:

Thanks
Yosemite is wonderful and any campground you can get a reservation will be awesome. However, Wawona is a good drive from the valley floor at Yosemite where you will find Lower Pines, Upper Pines.... Wawona is next to a beautiful river and by a beautiful turn of the 19th century lodge and a marvelous golf course.... but away from the water falls and other areas. But if you stay in the valley first, then stay in Wawona on your way south to Sequoia.... you will have a wonderful drive and enjoy it! Some of the roads are pretty narrow and you drive very close to the cliffs and edge, so it is not for the faint of heart or newbie tow person. Sequoia is one of our favorites as is Yosemite. Much less tourism and traffic, much closer to nature. Great hikes that are not as difficult as some of the ones in Yosemite.... If you are out this far, they are both worth a visit if the snow has subsided!

Lots of great things to see and places to stay. If you decide to stay out of Yosemite proper be prepared for a hour or two drive into the park one way... depending on weather, where you are along with traffic and road conditions. There are many nice commercial places if you want full hookups. We always stay in the park, but you essentially "boondock" with restrooms nearby and will have to put all your food/soap/etc. in the bear proof lockers provided. The Airstream is not bear proof!

So many places to go camping, so little time!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:
Looks cool on the map, how does it look from an AS? What is there to see, where to stay*? School me gang

This is a stunning drive.... you will again need to be prepared for narrow roads, close to the edge.... or close to the cliff in places. It is not a "fast" route, from Morro Bay to Monterey on Hwy 1 will likely take you all day. But you will go right by Cambria and Hearst Castle which is worth a stop. Close to Morro Bay is a couple of places to boondock. A few miles away at Avila Beach you can park right at the edge overlooking from a cliff and camp. You will likely see other trailers along there at any time of year. Montana de Oro State Park is also nice, but I haven't been there in a long time, but used to be very nice, it is just out of Baywood Park a few miles from Morro Bay. Camping at Big Sur State park is also wonderful, but anywhere along this stretch might be cool and damp in the spring, or it could be perfect sunny California weather. One never knows....

If you have an iPhone or other smart phone with apps.... I downloaded this app from advice on another thread and it appears to be really good! It is called Campwhere and will find campgrounds (public ~ i.e., state and Fed) from your current location and gps or by name or by map. Covers the whole US.

Have fun and drive safely!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:

Kirk Creek Campground on the Big Sur coast is beautiful. It's a USFS campground. 35°59'23.89"N, 121°29'46.03"W (copy and paste coordinates into Google Earth) Half the sites are reservable through Reserve USA and half are 1st come 1st serve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk Creek_20081107_0498.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	93427  
Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
........ Close to Morro Bay is a couple of places to boondock. A few miles away at Avila Beach you can park right at the edge overlooking from a cliff and camp. ................

If you have an iPhone or other smart phone with apps.... I downloaded this app from advice on another thread and it appears to be really good! It is called Campwhere and will find campgrounds (public ~ i.e., state and Fed) from your current location and gps or by name or by map. Covers the whole US.

Have fun and drive safely!
THANKS! Great info esp that about the boondocking, any more info on that?

The app looked cool, but I dont have an I phone which you have to have to use it. Bummer, that would be a real nice tool for me.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Kirk Creek Campground on the Big Sur coast is beautiful. It's a USFS campground. 35°59'23.89"N, 121°29'46.03"W (copy and paste coordinates into Google Earth) Half the sites are reservable through Reserve USA and half are 1st come 1st serve.
ZOWIE! Thats the stuff!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
What a great site.. Thanks for showing us Kirk creek!