Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Question for CA Streamer

Can you remember specifically which site at Kirk Creek your picture was taken from?

In a word.... breathtaking.

Mike brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Can you remember specifically which site at Kirk Creek your picture was taken from?

Mike brumback

The coordinates come up for campsite 14

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Snow in April

Not sure I understand your route but remember that the Sierras are very high mountains and the roads crossing them are few and will most probably have snow on them at that time of year (Like Tioga Pass which usually does not open until Memorial Day or later depending on the snow pack). Not to dampen your enthusiasm for California.....just be aware of the road closings....hope you have a great time......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Not sure I understand your route but remember that the Sierras are very high mountains and the roads crossing them are few and will most probably have snow on them at that time of year (Like Tioga Pass which usually does not open until Memorial Day or later depending on the snow pack). Not to dampen your enthusiasm for California.....just be aware of the road closings....hope you have a great time......paula
Im not sure I understand my route either . At the moment I am thinking I will be coming up from the south east (maybe via Joshua Tree) up the coast to San Francisco (airport stop) then east to Yosemite, back to the airport then......dunno. But thanks for the insights

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Joshua Tree

That works...we are in Joshua Tree right now and it is a great park......I can't believe I have never been here before and I have lived in the LA area since 1970......the problem might be if you wanted to go to Death Valley from Yosemite......then you would have to cross the Sierras.....but the route you describe sounds great.....we are so lucky to live in S California and we can camp all year long....mostly.....Yosemite in April may have snow so you need to be informed but it is open all year long......have a great trip......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post

Mike brumback
Mike, That trip we were staying in site 19. The photo was taken from the loop road near site 17 which is another great spot. These are both reservable. There are really no bad spots, althought the outer loop sites along the ocean are the best. Some of the inner loop sites can get muddy if there is rain.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Another nice spot just down the road from Kirk Creek to the South is a USFS campground called Plaskett Creek. 35°55'4.55"N, 121°27'58.36"W

It doesn't have the sweeping views that Kirk Creek does but is more protected from the strong NW winds that can occur that time of year. You will notice a ton of cars on the Google Earth image. The aerial photo was taken during the Big Sur Jade festival that occurs during the 1st weekend in October.

There is a beautiful sandy beach across Hwy 1 from the campground called Sand Dollar Beach and another rocky beach called Jade Cove where, if you have patience and a keen eye, nephrite jade can be picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaskett Creek Camp.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	93505  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
California is due for an El Nino weather pattern which could bring heavier than usual rains through the spring. The wildflowers should be spectacular because of the extra water, though. Always tradeoffs.

Weather in California in April is variable. High altitudes may have sun, rain or snow. Low altitudes could have fog, rain or sun. Plan for all. It's all beautiful.
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
sequoia very nice, yosemite the same.
If you come south you may want to dry camp right north of Carmel on the left is a spot camp with out hook ups nice on US 1 Big sur ( about 2 miles into the park)
SF has campgrounds we stayed at a private one by the water all good, Sequoia we stayed south of the park, I think Kings canyon is better you can camp up there in the park. I would not take the airstream from kings canyon to sequoia by going throught the park the road is far too windy and narrow.
April is perfect Calif. has a lot of people who like to be on the road so go when school is in and summer is not yet here. Along the coast we have nice weather every day in Southern Callif. enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Just a quick note about California traveling... we are in the process of returning from Baja to near the Oregon border, so we have driven the entire state. Interstate 5 is a disaster... bumpy and lumpy... and most roads below Santa Barbara or Bakersfield are terrible. We drove Interstate 10 across the LA area and it is a real rivet popper... so is portions of CA Hwy 101 as well as Interstate 5 and the San Diego Freeway. Unless you love freeways with chuckholes and bounce do some homework (advice from real locals) and avoid these roads. We did take Hwy 8 across the bottom of California and it was very nice...
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Use the 210 when you can

The 210 is north of the 10 and is a newer smoother freeway......we used it instead of the 10 as much as we could going east towards Palm Springs--even though our dear Garmin kept trying to get us on the 10....the 210 ultimately ends up on the 10 eastbound and is a good way to avoid downtown LA......and yes, our poor freeways are real rivet poppers.....sadly.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Booked It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Kirk Creek Campground on the Big Sur coast is beautiful. It's a USFS campground. 35°59'23.89"N, 121°29'46.03"W (copy and paste coordinates into Google Earth) Half the sites are reservable through Reserve USA and half are 1st come 1st serve.

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. We just booked site 19 at Kirk Creek for early March. We're so excited-it looks amazing! Hopefully we'll have great weather to go along with the great views.

Now to figure out where to camp in Santa Barbara.

Thanks again for providing your insight.

All the best,
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the tip. We just booked site 19 at Kirk Creek for early March. We're so excited-it looks amazing! Hopefully we'll have great weather to go along with the great views.

All the best,
May I suggest El Capitan State Beach just north of Santa Barbara....or Refugio if it is open.....(no hookups maybe) but are beachside of 101.....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Steve,

All the best,
My pleasure. Glad I could help. If you have a diesel TV, keep in mind there is no diesel available on the coast between Carmel and Cambria...about 100 miles.
SteSpot made a good suggestion for the Santa Barbara area. Both Refugio and El Capitan are right of the highway and are oceanside. El Cap is a little closer to SB ( about 15 to 20 miles) and the sites are bigger and more spread out, but some sites have a lot of road noise. The sites are on a bluff above the ocean, and it is a short walk to the beach. Refugio's campsites are mostly beachside, but the sites are smaller and more packed in. Dogs are prohibited on the beach in both campgrounds.

There is a nice, but pricey private campground across the highway from El Capitan called Ocean Mesa. It has full hookups, pool, spa, and massage services too.

Refugio Beach 34°27'48.66"N, 120° 4'7.01"W
El Capitan 34°27'39.79"N, 120° 1'38.74"W
Ocean Mesa 34°27'54.25"N, 120° 1'28.79"W
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some friends of ours just came back from Cal. and stayed up at Big Sur in a state park (can't remember the name). They told us it was more than $30—maybe $35—for a site with no hookups. Colorado SP's are close to $30, but you have to pay admission (was $6, may be more now) each day you are there unless you have an annual pass, so a site is in the mid 30's.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
California in late April

"Is California in April worth the bother?" Are you kidding. In most places that is the best time of the year to visit. Go to the Sonoma Coast Beaches north of San Francisco as part of your trip. Stay at Wrights Beach, it is right on the ocean and is where the cliff (bluff) meets the ocean (make reservations). You are right on the beach at camp. It is the best campground in that area. Then go north to the Avenue of the Giants, Redwoods so big and old that there were here before America was. Yes, it is worth the bother and you will not be disappointed in Yosemite, Sequoia, the coast, the giant Redwoods or most anywhere else.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Ef refugio is nice near Santa Barbara as is El Capitan but no hook ups but nice nice.
WE really like those. Morro Bay is a nice spot with hook ups see where you will be.
From Big sur i would stop at Morro bay , then SB is good for a day or so.
we offer a spot in Malibu. g
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Some friends of ours just came back from Cal. and stayed up at Big Sur in a state park (can't remember the name). They told us it was more than $30—maybe $35—for a site with no hookups. Colorado SP's are close to $30, but you have to pay admission (was $6, may be more now) each day you are there unless you have an annual pass, so a site is in the mid 30's.

Gene
Gene, The California State Parks, threatened with closure because of the fiscal emergency in California, raised their camping rates. The rates depend on the park but are generally in the $25-35 range to dry camp. Hookup sites are $50.

USFS sites are still a bargain though at $20-25.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
April is oh my god perfect. gail
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Gail, Gene, Steve and SteSpot,

Thanks for the suggestions for camping areas near Santa Barbara. We'll check out what's available and hopefully reserve something soon. We've heard great things about Refugio and El Capitan.

We'll post images of our little California coast trip when we get back.

Happy and safe journeys,