Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The park has openings in the following CGs for the time I have in mind. Which is the most desirable?

Hodgdon, Lower Pines, North Pines, Upper Pines, Wawona.

Thanks
Yosemite is wonderful and any campground you can get a reservation will be awesome. However, Wawona is a good drive from the valley floor at Yosemite where you will find Lower Pines, Upper Pines.... Wawona is next to a beautiful river and by a beautiful turn of the 19th century lodge and a marvelous golf course.... but away from the water falls and other areas. But if you stay in the valley first, then stay in Wawona on your way south to Sequoia.... you will have a wonderful drive and enjoy it! Some of the roads are pretty narrow and you drive very close to the cliffs and edge, so it is not for the faint of heart or newbie tow person. Sequoia is one of our favorites as is Yosemite. Much less tourism and traffic, much closer to nature. Great hikes that are not as difficult as some of the ones in Yosemite.... If you are out this far, they are both worth a visit if the snow has subsided!

Lots of great things to see and places to stay. If you decide to stay out of Yosemite proper be prepared for a hour or two drive into the park one way... depending on weather, where you are along with traffic and road conditions. There are many nice commercial places if you want full hookups. We always stay in the park, but you essentially "boondock" with restrooms nearby and will have to put all your food/soap/etc. in the bear proof lockers provided. The Airstream is not bear proof!

So many places to go camping, so little time!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Quote:
Looks cool on the map, how does it look from an AS? What is there to see, where to stay*? School me gang

*Extra points for inexpensive, trophy for boondocking spots.
This is a stunning drive.... you will again need to be prepared for narrow roads, close to the edge.... or close to the cliff in places. It is not a "fast" route, from Morro Bay to Monterey on Hwy 1 will likely take you all day. But you will go right by Cambria and Hearst Castle which is worth a stop. Close to Morro Bay is a couple of places to boondock. A few miles away at Avila Beach you can park right at the edge overlooking from a cliff and camp. You will likely see other trailers along there at any time of year. Montana de Oro State Park is also nice, but I haven't been there in a long time, but used to be very nice, it is just out of Baywood Park a few miles from Morro Bay. Camping at Big Sur State park is also wonderful, but anywhere along this stretch might be cool and damp in the spring, or it could be perfect sunny California weather. One never knows....

If you have an iPhone or other smart phone with apps.... I downloaded this app from advice on another thread and it appears to be really good! It is called Campwhere and will find campgrounds (public ~ i.e., state and Fed) from your current location and gps or by name or by map. Covers the whole US.

Have fun and drive safely!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Looks cool on the map, how does it look from an AS? What is there to see, where to stay*? School me gang

*Extra points for inexpensive, trophy for boondocking spots.
Kirk Creek Campground on the Big Sur coast is beautiful. It's a USFS campground. 3559'23.89"N, 12129'46.03"W (copy and paste coordinates into Google Earth) Half the sites are reservable through Reserve USA and half are 1st come 1st serve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk Creek_20081107_0498.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	93427  
Old 01-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
........ Close to Morro Bay is a couple of places to boondock. A few miles away at Avila Beach you can park right at the edge overlooking from a cliff and camp. ................

If you have an iPhone or other smart phone with apps.... I downloaded this app from advice on another thread and it appears to be really good! It is called Campwhere and will find campgrounds (public ~ i.e., state and Fed) from your current location and gps or by name or by map. Covers the whole US.

Have fun and drive safely!
THANKS! Great info esp that about the boondocking, any more info on that?

The app looked cool, but I dont have an I phone which you have to have to use it. Bummer, that would be a real nice tool for me.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Kirk Creek Campground on the Big Sur coast is beautiful. It's a USFS campground. 3559'23.89"N, 12129'46.03"W (copy and paste coordinates into Google Earth) Half the sites are reservable through Reserve USA and half are 1st come 1st serve.
ZOWIE! Thats the stuff!

and the
My Blog

Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
What a great site.. Thanks for showing us Kirk creek!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Question for CA Streamer

Can you remember specifically which site at Kirk Creek your picture was taken from?

In a word.... breathtaking.

Mike brumback
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Can you remember specifically which site at Kirk Creek your picture was taken from?

Mike brumback

The coordinates come up for campsite 14

and the
My Blog

Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Snow in April

Not sure I understand your route but remember that the Sierras are very high mountains and the roads crossing them are few and will most probably have snow on them at that time of year (Like Tioga Pass which usually does not open until Memorial Day or later depending on the snow pack). Not to dampen your enthusiasm for California.....just be aware of the road closings....hope you have a great time......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Not sure I understand your route but remember that the Sierras are very high mountains and the roads crossing them are few and will most probably have snow on them at that time of year (Like Tioga Pass which usually does not open until Memorial Day or later depending on the snow pack). Not to dampen your enthusiasm for California.....just be aware of the road closings....hope you have a great time......paula
Im not sure I understand my route either . At the moment I am thinking I will be coming up from the south east (maybe via Joshua Tree) up the coast to San Francisco (airport stop) then east to Yosemite, back to the airport then......dunno. But thanks for the insights

and the
My Blog

Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Joshua Tree

That works...we are in Joshua Tree right now and it is a great park......I can't believe I have never been here before and I have lived in the LA area since 1970......the problem might be if you wanted to go to Death Valley from Yosemite......then you would have to cross the Sierras.....but the route you describe sounds great.....we are so lucky to live in S California and we can camp all year long....mostly.....Yosemite in April may have snow so you need to be informed but it is open all year long......have a great trip......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post

Mike brumback
Mike, That trip we were staying in site 19. The photo was taken from the loop road near site 17 which is another great spot. These are both reservable. There are really no bad spots, althought the outer loop sites along the ocean are the best. Some of the inner loop sites can get muddy if there is rain.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Another nice spot just down the road from Kirk Creek to the South is a USFS campground called Plaskett Creek. 3555'4.55"N, 12127'58.36"W

It doesn't have the sweeping views that Kirk Creek does but is more protected from the strong NW winds that can occur that time of year. You will notice a ton of cars on the Google Earth image. The aerial photo was taken during the Big Sur Jade festival that occurs during the 1st weekend in October.

There is a beautiful sandy beach across Hwy 1 from the campground called Sand Dollar Beach and another rocky beach called Jade Cove where, if you have patience and a keen eye, nephrite jade can be picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaskett Creek Camp.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	93505  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
California is due for an El Nino weather pattern which could bring heavier than usual rains through the spring. The wildflowers should be spectacular because of the extra water, though. Always tradeoffs.

Weather in California in April is variable. High altitudes may have sun, rain or snow. Low altitudes could have fog, rain or sun. Plan for all. It's all beautiful.