Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
California Dreaming

We are planing on staying at the RV Resort San Francisco on the 14-18 of March and then traveling to Malibu RV Park 18-21 before heading back east to tie up with Interstate 40 heading home base, Lawrence Ks. Thanks to another thread I think I have a good route to San Fan heading west via Interstate 5 but could use a little more help. I have done some driving in the SoCal/LA areas so I know it is bad and I am sure San Fran area is just has bad. I am tempted to come down 101 from San Fran but I am guessing that is a bad idea and should head south on 5. Any tips on getting in and out of RV Resort San Francisco, getting to Malibu, and in and out of Malibu RV would be very helpful. I am pulling a 64, 23 ft Trade Wind with a Nisson Pathfinder. Also any Inerstate 40 tips would be helpful.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
I know it goes against all principles to drive during traffic hours in Los Angeles but thats the safest bet getting out of LA safely on crappy roads. Our 405 freeway has some bottleneck construction so the traffic on the 10/405 interchange is almost always there. In traffic you don't get the "you're going too slow" honk. You get the "what a cool Airstream" honk. Stop by Airstream LA in San Gabriel and our shop/warehouse (we're right around the corner from them). We have a few project AS going on there. Hope you have a safe trip. Nothing beats PCH/1 down the coast especially around Carmel and Big Sur but those are some narrow roads and can be tough on brakes. I've done it many times (not with AS) and March can be pretty beautiful
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Avoid 5! You will be dead from boredom before you get to Bakersfield. 101 should not be a problem for a Tradewind. I'd even suggest going down Highway 1 on the coast, but you always need to check with CHP to make sure it's open. Sometimes spring rain will wash it out.

If you do go down the 1, you can spend the night at the rest stop 7 miles north of San Simeon, right above the elephant seal colony (check to see when they are there). The signs say no camping, but "resting" for one night is always permitted in any California rest stop. If stopping there is an issue, there is another rest stop 2.5 miles north of San Simeon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	san simeon.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	177409

The little beige dots on the beach are seals.

Name:	seals.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	177410

I don't understand getting to San Francisco "heading west via 5." That means you're going through SoCal on the way? The only way from Lawrence to California without going over high passes is I-40. I-80 has the Donner Pass west of Reno (steep on the east side) and I-70 has two high passes close together west of Denver, then you have a bit of jog going down to Vegas and then back up to Reno (or you can take my second favorite highway, US 50 from Salina, UT, to Reno).

Most of the land between Grand Junction, CO, and the Sierra Mountains is BLM--lots of places to pull off the road and boondock.

You can make your own adventure from Vegas to Reno--go to Tonopah, then Benton, CA, then Mono Lake, then up 395 (my favorite highway) to Reno or go to Baker and hang right to Death Valley, then west over to 395 and up to Reno (getting out of Death Valley over to 395 requires going over Emmigrant Pass, two long climbs).

I-40 is a piece of cake. You won't even know you're going over the continental divide if you miss the sign. Just pay attention to the "Old Route 66" signs or you'll miss nifty stuff. Make sure you stop in Seligman, AZ, for at least a look.

Always carry a couple gallon jugs of water anytime you're traveling in this area.

You'll be fine driving in the city. Plan your lane far ahead, keep you speed reasonable, and leave spacing ahead of you (if you can). The real panic in the city is when the traffic suddenly stops and you are looking sideways at the sights. I've only had three or four coronaries so far...

Zep
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi!

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned. Is this the RV resort (not really a resort) in Novato? Im 5 minutes from there so make sure you say hello..
I wouldnt hesitate driving through San Fran on 101 and taking that or Hwy 1 southbound.. Like ZEP says.. Highway 5 is for folks who are in a hurry.. truckers etc.. Lots to see closer to the edge of the state.

Have fun.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
As an SF area local, I can help you out with roads and traffic.

Don't even think about taking I-5 south to LA. First, it's a nightmare to get to from the coast where you'll be staying. Second, it is the worlds most boring stretch of road, ever. According to geologists ("Assembling California" by John McPhee), it is, literally, the largest, flattest area on the planet. No rolling hills, except in a monotonous ridge in the distance off to the side, no trees, just mile upon mile of flat, flat farmland. If you want Kansas to look like the Himalayas, drive I-5.

If this is the RV park in Pacifica, your easiest way out of the area is to head north on Highway 1 to 280 and then go south on 280, "the world's most beautiful freeway." It is a very scenic drive with no billboards, rolling California hills and views to the coast range and Crystal Springs reservoir. It's clear for driving between 10 am and 4 pm. During commuter hours, the San Francisco and San Jose ends can get sticky.

280 goes through the hills, so if you want to avoid the ups and downs, take 280 south only as far as 380 and then go down to 101. Same commute times apply there, although 101 can get thick as early as 3 pm.

Highway 101 is completely level through San Jose, then it has some mild ups and downs as it follows the ancient road that connected the early Spanish missions. Those missions are still there and make convenient, interesting spots to visit and stretch your legs at regular intervals. The road is in decent condition and doesn't get tons of traffic because the people who just want to get from point A to point B (truckers, etc) are all over on I-5.

Get from 101 to the coast around San Luis Obispo and take Highway 1 down to Malibu. That will give you some beach view driving.

If you want to see some of California's most dramatic coastal scenery and don't mind driving narrow winding roads with a cliff on your left and a drop to crashing ocean breakers on your right, take Highway 1 all the way down, going south on from the RV park in Pacifica.

Some people recommend driving Highway 1 northbound on your first drive for the Big Sur stretch south of Monterey. That puts an entire road lane between you and the drop down to the sea. There are guardrails, but not on all of it, so drive when you are awake, alert and well rested. Only you know what sort of driving you prefer. I loved driving Highway 1 with the Airstream, and I got good at calculating which pullouts I could fit in so that I never accumulated more than the legal maximum of 5 cars following behind me.

Whatever California freeways you drive, bear in mind that trailers are required to stay in the rightmost 2 lanes (not counting lanes that are "exit only"). You can get a pricey ticket if you are farther left than that.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Sounds like I am getting some good infor.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I second Zep regarding the elephant seals near San Simeon. Piedras Blancas is the name of the beach where they congregate in large numbers. They are large, absurd looking creatures and well worth a look.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
...Whatever California freeways you drive, bear in mind that trailers are required to stay in the rightmost 2 lanes (not counting lanes that are "exit only"). You can get a pricey ticket if you are farther left than that.
And it really doesn't help to be doing 80 with your Airstream when you're far left, either! What can I say, the truckers really had me P.O.'d. If you're towing, the CHP is semi-serious about the 55 mph limit. Once you get used to it, it's actually very nice.

Z

("bear in mind" -- is that a pun?)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Zeppelinium
I am using I 40 all the way from OK City. Anything north of there in the spring would be iffy. On another thread someone had said 101 was way too rough and they always took 5 out of Bakersfield. I was a little afraid I might be making a nuisance of myself on 101.

Airside
The Internet Site referred to itself as RV Resort San Francisco Pacifica. Is that the one near you?

Web Spinner
Yes I would love to take Highway 1 and I am glad to hear you all think it is doable.

Protohyp
You never know I might stop by I have not finished restoration.

The tips on CHP and "staying to the right" are great information. We would love to see the seals also. We are planing the trip around our kids spring break from USC so the whole think will be exciting. It also our first real trip in the trade wind.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Just be prepared for the wonderful sea lion aroma!!
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
California for beginners
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I drove Highway 1 from Morro Bay to Monterey pulling our Tradewind and loved the drive. Use the pullouts whenever possible so you aren't tempted to take your eyes off the road to look at the view while driving. From my northbound perspective, there seemed to be more pullouts for southbound traffic. Also, in the southbound pullouts, there is no road between you and the gorgeous ocean below.

There are a few pictures from my trip up Highway 1 last spring here.

Somewhere on YouTube there is a video that my husband shot with the GoPro camera on the fairing of his motorcycle that gives you a clear view of part of what Highway 1 is like. I'll try to find it.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post

Airside
The Internet Site referred to itself as RV Resort San Francisco Pacifica. Is that the one near you?
I have driven past that RV park several times. It looks nice, if maybe a bit "cement-y". It is on the bluffs with an ocean view. HOWEVER, if you drive 20 more miles south, there is a magnificent RV park called "Pelican Point." It is on Miramontes Rd. in Half Moon Bay. (Next to the Ritz Carlton Hotel and Golf Club). Pelican point is small, but right on the most beautiful ocean bluffs in all of San Mateo county. It's positively lovely.

You could continue south on 1 then to Santa Cruz. You will see some gorgeous beaches "ala California" - which means bring a winter coat and sneakers, especially if it is July!

Taking Hwy 1 all the way to LA is really a loooooooong drive. Did I mention it was a looooooong drive? Nice though. You'll need a lot of patience.

If you cut back to US 101 maybe at Santa Cruz or maybe Monterey, you can have a nice drive that is a lot shorter. US 101 is in good shape based on last time I drove it.

I-5 is a bore, but it is the most direct route. Like most Interstates, there's not much to see and only fast food to eat with a few quasi-notable exceptions. Some people think "Anderson's Pea Soup" is the cats meow. I think it is pretty average. Other than that it is poison burgers all the way.

I think the best compromise of all features is US 101. But if you have lotsa time, US 1 is wonderful. Good luck! Enjoy California and PLEASE remember that summer on the coast of Northern California is NOT like summer on the coast of Florida. North of San Simeon, you WILL need a sweater, I am not kidding. Most summer days on the coast will be 60F and breezy. Down on the beach take off another 5 degrees. The good news is that most winter days will be about the same, except more rain.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The OP is going in March, which should be gorgeous and clear, unless a storm comes in.

The points about summer in California can't be repeated often enough. Every time I cross the Golden Gate Bridge in July there are tourists walking across and freezing because they thought that July in San Francisco would be hot.

The Central Valley of California is hot, to the tune of 105 degrees in July. That heat rises and sucks the air in from off the ocean so the cold, foggy "marine layer" sits along the coast and wafts through the Golden Gate for much of the summer.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I've heard the the Malibu RV park is nice but the staff seem to lack in the service dept. You can check the reviews on trip advisor and Yelp!. You might also consider coming down 101 and staying at El Capitan or Ocean Mesa in Santa Barbara for a night or two to add a little diversity.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
If you had more time built into your trip, Monterey makes for a great layover between SF and LA.
Several route options between Pacifica and Monterey.
You can boon dock here in Monterey (they'll accept your 24' footer);
City of Monterey | Veteran's Memorial Park
You may want to stay for a day for the aquarium and cannery row.
The drive south of Monterey on highway 1 to 101 in San Luis Obispo is a challenge but well worth it. Traffic is light during the week even in March.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I am from Northern California and now live in West Hills just 15 min from Malibu. I have driven all the freeways down to the smallest logging roads. I can honestly say all routs have their pros and cons. It all boils down to what you want to see and how much time you have. I 5 although boring is your fastest route to LA. Once you hit the 405 south from I 5 it all depends on the time of day. LA drivers can be extremely aggressive and rude so be prepared. From the 405 San Diego it is only about 30-40 miles to Malibu from the 101. I would probably take Las Virgenes rd that will dead end into PCH (highway 1). The 101 south from San Francisco is beautiful but can be slow and full of detours and road work. Once you get to Paso Robles it can get a bit windy and hilly beware of the CHP in this area. I have gotten held up many times between Santa Barbara and Ventura. But if you have the time to spare there is a lot More to see than the 5.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I second Coastalview's recommendation. The Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row are must-see's, if you can work them into your schedule. Monterey Bay, Pacific Groves, Pebble Beach and that whole area are beautiful and well worth the stop. Lots to see and do, with great restaurants and sea food!

The San Francisco RV Resort is relatively expensive, and it's basically a parking lot. However, from Pacifica, it is only about 20-30 minutes to Golden Gate Park, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Presidio, Chinatown and downtown San Francisco. It is also very clean, secure and close to the other cities in the Bay Area. If you are only staying there a couple of nights, the convenience and security are worth the expense. In addition, Pacifica has an easily accessible, black sand beach that usually has very few visitors, and is great for a relaxing walk along the surf (watch out for the undertow). And, the town itself is an often overlooked, quaint little seaside village with interesting shops and good restaurants.

By the way, don't even think about taking your trailer into San Francisco (proper). It's OK, if you are headed THROUGH the City; but I wouldn't advise parking on the street with your rig, especially in downtown areas and Chinatown. (Have you ever tried to parallel park with your trailer?) Besides heavy traffic congestion, narrow streets, and dodging trains, street cars and electric buses, it will be almost impossible to find a parking space for your TV and trailer. And, if you can even find parking for both, it will be expensive. Also, refueling with your trailer in tow will be difficult, as access is tight in most area gas stations. In addition, fuel prices are outrageous in the City. So, fill up before going into town. Note: Parking exceptions include Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, Crissy Field and other areas where short-term RV parking is available.

The PCH (Pacific Coast Highway 1) is a beautiful drive. However, it is very long and winding. Also, once you get south of Monterey Bay, there aren't any cutoffs over to the 101; so you are pretty much committed to continuing on Highway 1 to LA. The southbound side has the best ocean views, but the driver will probably be too occupied driving to see much. If your passenger is afraid of heights (like mine is), this scenic drive may be the road from H3LL. My wife said this all day experience was similar to the ride up Pike's Peak; i.e., no guard rails in most areas, and a long way down. Also, she said that at least on Pike's Peak, she didn't have to worry about drowning after we went over the side. For this reason, you might want to drive northbound from LA to SF. However, you'll be on the inside lane; and your passengers won't have the best view of the ocean.

Just a suggestion, but when you leave the Bay Area, you might want to take the PCH south to Monterey, which will give you a couple of hours of driving along the coast. Then, stop to see the Aquarium and Cannery Row (and probably stay overnight). And then, cut over to the 101. If you take the PCH south, you'll lose an entire day driving on winding roads through little towns, where the speed limit will be 35-45 most of the time -- and that's if the fog doesn't roll in. If you encounter fog, you'll be driving 15-25 mph (which will take forever to get to Malibu); and you won't be able to see anything but about 2-3 car lengths of the road ahead. Again, not the most entertaining drive for passengers; so check the weather and road conditions (for road closures and restrictions) before you head south of Monterey on the PCH. Please don't misunderstand, this is a beautiful drive; but it sounds like you may not have time to really enjoy it.

Lots of great alternate routes and campgrounds on the trip legs from Albuquerque to San Francisco, and from Malibu eastbound. Let us know which routes you have planned, and we can provide details on campgrounds along the way.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Parking a tow vehicle in SF, even without the trailer, can be tricky. It might be easier to drive to Daly City and use BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), Muni buses and cable cars to get around. With the internet, it's pretty easy to map out routes in advance. And in March, the cable cars won't be jammed to bursting with tourists and can actually be used to get from one place to another. Union Square to Ghirardelli Square is a favorite route of mine with good views and the option of stopping at the Cable Car Museum along the way.

The coast is usually clear of fog in March. Fog is more of a summer thing, in my experience. Going southbound, your passenger will definitely have something to talk about.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Planning my Summer 2013

I plan a trip to Calif. This should help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trip planner.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	177481