Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Does anyone have any experience with multiple sites at Big Sur- what are the best/ nicest sites, best views, easiest access, etc.
Thanks everyone for your help!
DesignerDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
You are going to have a fabulous time. Since I am from San Luis Obispo, I will give you a few ideas ideas for places between Santa Barbara and Big Sur. Except for Plasket Creek, these places are a little off the radar.

Jalama Beach Campground is a Santa Barbara County park between Point Conception and Point Arguallo. One road in and one road out 15 miles off of Hwy 1 and right on the ocean. Mainly locals from So. Cal. Miles and Miles of unimproved beach to walk on, tide pools, surf and even a little store/cafe that serves a great Jalama Burger.

Montana de Oro State Park. Again off Hwy 1 about 10 miles, 500 yards up from beach. No commercial improvements. Beach, coves, miles of hicking both up in the warm hills and along the cliffs above the ocean. Captivating.

Previous post mentioned marvelous Kirks Creek. Just south of there and north of Ragged Point is Plaskett Creek Campground. It is what brought us to the central coast over 35 years ago. Sand Dollar Beach is accross Hwy One. Again, beach, cliffs, privacy, beauty with the only distraction besides Hwy 1 is an occasional Hand Glider decending from the Santa Lucia Mountain Range along the coastline.

For a little "city life," I reccomend San Luis Obispo on Thursday evening. The main street closes down and farmers sell produce, BBQ's of all sorts, live music, magic acts... just plain wonderful.

These are my California Central Coast ideas. There are so many great places.
Again you are going to have a wonderful time. Camping in the Northern California Coastal redwood forest next to giant first growth redwoods was a favourite for us last year.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Almost done...

We're almost through planning our itinerary- it's going to be a very fun trip! Still looking for places in Redwood National Park and Seattle that you've loved (or hated, so we know what to avoid). Yellowstone is pretty much booked solid, so we're making that a "hotel night" and staying in West Yellowstone, MT.

This trip has required a lot of intensive planning, but we think it will be well worth it! Seeing lots of friends and family on the way will help, and this is the first time my 1958 Flying Cloud will be on the road since its completed restoration- it's previously been parked by our pool as a "mobile martini bar." We're calling the trip "Glam-ping TwentyTen," and we'll be sure to post lots of pictures.

Watch out for two blonds flying up the coast in May!
DesignerDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have spent lots of time in and near the California Redwoods. We have stayed at Dean Creek Camp Ground in Redway, CA, just off Hwy 101, very near the Avenue of the Giants.

When going north on 101, just north of Garberville, CA, you will see the Avenue of the Giants turn off. This will take you through the most beautiful area of big Redwoods. It is best done in the morning, with the sun filtering at an angle through the trees. There will be places you can pull off with your trailer and hike into the forest. Plan a couple of hours. The Avenue of the Giants will take you back on to 101 north without re-tracing your steps.

Don't miss this drive.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Here is a photo taken a couple of years ago along the Avenue of the Giants. No photoshop here. Just big trees.

And if you stay in or near Redway, don't miss Debs Great American Hamburgers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6042212.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	98692   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6022053.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	98693  

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerDeb View Post
I'm planning a month-long road trip with my Airstream and daughter along the California coastline- planning on hitting San Diego, Malibu, Carmel, Big Sur, and heading inland to Yosemite. Does anyone have any recommendations for camp grounds along Highway 1 or in any of these locations, or tips as we plan our itinerary?
Thanks very much!
Debra
We did a similar trip, but squeezed in a couple more stops between Malibu and Monterey, both of which we'd do again, specifically -

Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara Camping * Santa Barbara Camping California * Santa Barbara Camping El Capitan Beach * Santa Barbara Campgrounds * Ocean Mesa Campground

Morro Bay - Morro Bay SP

Cheers
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a wonderful trip with some amazing camping spots already selected for you! Be sure to post on your trip----we will be on the California coast in September.

Maggie