Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2007 23' International CCD
Hemet , California
Lots of good places

In Morro Bay there is Morro Bay State Park with some hookups. Reservations are recommended but you can check online for date availability. We really like this place because it close to the downtown area and there is also great kayaking in the bay and a decent marine museum....and a gold course....and nearby is Los Osos and San Luis Obispo and Cayucos and more!!
North of San Francisco we really, really, really like Bodega Bay camping at Doral County Park out on the sandy peninsula. There is also another campground just at the northern edge of the bay next to the sand dunes in amongst dense trees. Be prepared for cool weather and wind and maybe rain at times. In the summer it can get really warm at times, too. Lots of kite flying on the beaches. Restaurants: Go to the fishing boat dock area or along the road into Bodega Bay itself.
Mentioned above was Kirk Creek. Get there early in the week (in summer esp.) as this one has no reservations and tends to fill up fast for weekends. But south of Kirk Creek there is another campground in tall trees on the up hill side of the highway so ocean viewing is marginal at best...but close enough to walk to as needed. Cliffs there but there are stairways down to the beach areas.
Heading north out of Ventura there is a county park on the east side of the freeway and then farther north there is a "park along the beach" stretch that was $18 per night. There is a campground at Carpenteria that we have not stayed at and there are also 3 separate campgrounds that I know of between Santa Barbara and the eventual right turn of the freeway inland heading up to San Luis Obispo. Pismo Beach has at least two campgrounds. There is also an inland lake close to Arroyo Grande called Lopez Lake that has a nice campground.
So many good places, so many long trips north, so little time. I have more but it is dinner time so I must go Hope this helps some

Gary & Susan Norgan
2007 International 23ft Ocean Breeze
Hemet, CA
"The key to flexibility is indecision"
GoldFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Santa Barbara...I would pick Refugio State Beach. South, (actually East, because the coast highway 101 runs East/West near Santa Barbara), near Ventura, there is a nice State Beach campground named McGrath State Beach. Refugio sometimes is hard to get into in the summer, McGrath is easier. I agree with someone further up on this thread...New Brighton in Capitola is nice. (Santa Cruz).
In San Diego County, South Carlsbad State Beach is nice, but again very hard to get a reservation.

Good Luck, Randy Bowman

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Refugio State beach near Santa Barbara is beautiful and right on the beach (make reservations!).

I second the Pismo Coast Village in Pismo (our favorite place) it's a big park, but you can't beat the location, we walk everywhere.

Another good one is the Morro Bay State park, they have some sites with full hook ups if you want that.

Your in for a beautiful trip, have a great time, and post LOTS of pictures!
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Any RV Parks near Yosemite?

It seems nearly impossible to get reservations in the National Park.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Mentioning not so good places are probably just as valuable as the good ones, so here is one for you to stay out of. Bodega Bay Regional Park in Sonoma County, CA. Can't think of anything good about the place.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
The KOA in Petaluma is typical for this type of RV park. Like most KOAs, it is very easy to get to right off of I-5, and it has a nice looking swimming pool (too cold to swim when we were there) and a petting zoo for the kids. Not sure, but I think it may have had horses for riding, too. Lots of big trees in the campground. We didn't stay there; just drove through to check it out. This KOA has been around for a long time, but it appears to be in fairly good shape.

It's not very close to San Francisco, but it's right in the wine country and only a few miles from the coast. Check out the Korbel Winery on the Russian River -- beautiful drive...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Does anyone have any experience with multiple sites at Big Sur- what are the best/ nicest sites, best views, easiest access, etc.
Thanks everyone for your help!
DesignerDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
You are going to have a fabulous time. Since I am from San Luis Obispo, I will give you a few ideas ideas for places between Santa Barbara and Big Sur. Except for Plasket Creek, these places are a little off the radar.

Jalama Beach Campground is a Santa Barbara County park between Point Conception and Point Arguallo. One road in and one road out 15 miles off of Hwy 1 and right on the ocean. Mainly locals from So. Cal. Miles and Miles of unimproved beach to walk on, tide pools, surf and even a little store/cafe that serves a great Jalama Burger.

Montana de Oro State Park. Again off Hwy 1 about 10 miles, 500 yards up from beach. No commercial improvements. Beach, coves, miles of hicking both up in the warm hills and along the cliffs above the ocean. Captivating.

Previous post mentioned marvelous Kirks Creek. Just south of there and north of Ragged Point is Plaskett Creek Campground. It is what brought us to the central coast over 35 years ago. Sand Dollar Beach is accross Hwy One. Again, beach, cliffs, privacy, beauty with the only distraction besides Hwy 1 is an occasional Hand Glider decending from the Santa Lucia Mountain Range along the coastline.

For a little "city life," I reccomend San Luis Obispo on Thursday evening. The main street closes down and farmers sell produce, BBQ's of all sorts, live music, magic acts... just plain wonderful.

These are my California Central Coast ideas. There are so many great places.
Again you are going to have a wonderful time. Camping in the Northern California Coastal redwood forest next to giant first growth redwoods was a favourite for us last year.
John and Kay
San Luis Obispo, Ca
Airxtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Almost done...

We're almost through planning our itinerary- it's going to be a very fun trip! Still looking for places in Redwood National Park and Seattle that you've loved (or hated, so we know what to avoid). Yellowstone is pretty much booked solid, so we're making that a "hotel night" and staying in West Yellowstone, MT.

This trip has required a lot of intensive planning, but we think it will be well worth it! Seeing lots of friends and family on the way will help, and this is the first time my 1958 Flying Cloud will be on the road since its completed restoration- it's previously been parked by our pool as a "mobile martini bar." We're calling the trip "Glam-ping TwentyTen," and we'll be sure to post lots of pictures.

Watch out for two blonds flying up the coast in May!
DesignerDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have spent lots of time in and near the California Redwoods. We have stayed at Dean Creek Camp Ground in Redway, CA, just off Hwy 101, very near the Avenue of the Giants.

When going north on 101, just north of Garberville, CA, you will see the Avenue of the Giants turn off. This will take you through the most beautiful area of big Redwoods. It is best done in the morning, with the sun filtering at an angle through the trees. There will be places you can pull off with your trailer and hike into the forest. Plan a couple of hours. The Avenue of the Giants will take you back on to 101 north without re-tracing your steps.

Don't miss this drive.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Here is a photo taken a couple of years ago along the Avenue of the Giants. No photoshop here. Just big trees.

And if you stay in or near Redway, don't miss Debs Great American Hamburgers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6042212.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	98692   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6022053.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	98693  

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
I approve of this message
2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Originally Posted by DesignerDeb View Post
I'm planning a month-long road trip with my Airstream and daughter along the California coastline- planning on hitting San Diego, Malibu, Carmel, Big Sur, and heading inland to Yosemite. Does anyone have any recommendations for camp grounds along Highway 1 or in any of these locations, or tips as we plan our itinerary?
Thanks very much!
We did a similar trip, but squeezed in a couple more stops between Malibu and Monterey, both of which we'd do again, specifically -

Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara Camping * Santa Barbara Camping California * Santa Barbara Camping El Capitan Beach * Santa Barbara Campgrounds * Ocean Mesa Campground

Morro Bay - Morro Bay SP

ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #27
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a wonderful trip with some amazing camping spots already selected for you! Be sure to post on your trip----we will be on the California coast in September.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote