Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Hood River , hood river
California Coast Boondocking?

Heading out from Hood River, OR tomorrow for a little wandering.

Any suggestions on staying on the beaches under my own power? The last time I trekked down the coast on my bike I was chased out of any spot within ten miles of the beaches and wondered if anyone had advice for a Newbie on staying within breathing room of the beach and away from crowds?

Hope I get to meet some of you along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5066.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	160010  

zagarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
This is a blog from a fellow Oregonian traveling in CA right now Bodega Bay...looks lovely!

Enjoy your trip. We hope to make a similar one down the coast this summer

My Blog and photo diary:

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
Oak Harbor , Washington
If you pick up 1 at Leggett and head out that way, you'll find some nice State Parks, some on the beach. Not sure about boon docking. The closer you get to SF, the busier and if you've never driven Hwy 1 from Leggett south, then be prepared for taking it easy. There are lots of curves but manageable if you aren't in a hurry. Good time to visit Mendocino Botanical Gardens in Ft. Bragg. Beautiful drive, regardless.

Do a search or revisit this link:
FerryTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Check out Kirk Creek. Seriously, Google it. Most scenic. I haven't stay there yet, but I'm dying too.
Cara, John & Johnny
Jet, Our silver stow-a-way
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Hi, I am a fan of the Hood river area. My fav brewery Full Sail Ale LOL. If you get down south of San Francisco on Highway 1 or 101 be sure to visit Avila Beach. There are some sites along the beach past the down town area toward the Power plant. Hard to get into in summer, but great boon docking. Let me know if you are in the area. Get together for some great local wines.
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
California is not like Oregon!! we drove all the way down to LA at the beginning of July once. The week before the 4th. hard to find a place to camp and there are not as many state parks like in Oregon. I would start in the Redwoods and then work your way down.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
If you go far enough South there is a FANTASTIC county beach in Ventura. It's Rincon Beach and is just a very long stretch of black top along the Pacific Coast. The county has lined off over 100 RV spots in parallell parking, I'm guessing the spots are about 50' long. There is a drop box with envelopes and the charge is $26 for 24 hours.

It's well worth the $26, it's a $10,000,000 view and you can stay for up to seven days if I'm not mistaken. I've stayed there about four times - first come first serve, no reservations and if you leave you loose your spot. Fills up on weekends but is easy to grab a spot during the week and there really are a lot of spots.

Rincon Parkway
"The bad news: there is no key to the universe.
The good news: it was never locked."
Swami Beyondananda
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Simi Valley , California
Hi. If you do drive as far south into Ventura and Los Angeles County, the Rincon Parkway is nice however it's usually pretty difficult to find an open spot in the summer, and impossible on the weekends.

A nice alternative is Thronhill Broom State Beach, at a little less money and not the direct salt spray that so prevalent as the Rincon where the surf break is always directly on head on the beach, making for a lot of spray. Thronhill is also a little closer to L.A. County and a few miles from Malibu.
photofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Lemoore , California
Don't miss Port San Luis (Avila Beach) between Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. State Park, camping on the edge of the beach, perfect! It is first come first serve but there are normally spots in the over flow area where you can wait for a spot right on the water. Avila Beach is a dog friendly beach so if you have a dog they will love it. Even the restaurants bring out water bowls for fido!

Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote