Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Wow, what a trip! Wish I could tag along!

The one small thing I noticed was your plan to spend the night in El Paso. Personally, I think Las Cruces (a smidgen to the north of there) is a lot nicer place to stay.

Lynn
Very, Very true and alot nicer.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We live on the San Francisco peninsula and we recently bought a new 27 Flying Cloud. In the last six weeks or so we taken it out on a number of local "shakedown cruises" to local campgrounds. Based on our "ancient camping history" and recent trips, here are some that you might enjoy.

Half Moon Bay State Park. Very nice, lots of level grass, large paved areas for you TT and TV. Uncrowded even when full; sites are large. No hookups by there's a dump station and many water spigots. Beautiful beach a couple hundred yards away. Get's full, so check ahead and see if there's anything available for walkons.

Veterans Memorial Park in Monterey. A city park/campground with 40+ sites. They say there's a strict 21' limit, don't believe it. I've camped beside 30+ ft RVs. No hookups, but has hot showers and a dump station. Look for Jefferson Ave/St(?) and follow it a couple miles to the top where the park is. Best part, the campground is about 2 miles from Fisherman's Wharf. You can hear the seals barking if they're in town.

Hwy 1. By ALL MEANS travel this road. The southerly direction puts you on the outside edge of the road when the views--particularly downward--will take your breath away. Many turnouts for stopping and taking in the views, so don't be in a hurry. On a recent trip we average 25 mph. A couple days before you commit to the route, check google for status on repairs, delays and closures. CalTrans is pretty good at getting things back to passable with delays while they rebuild the washouts. That saod, I think it's currently closed due to a large washout between Monterey and Big Sur.

Big Sur. The state park is "always" booked, but it's worth checking for cancellations. There's a private campground about a mile south Big Sur Campground and Cabins that's pretty good and they have a number of sites with hookups.

Further south on Hwy 1, Kirk Creek (see pic that's my avatar). Words can't describe this small campground. Get there early and wait if you must, because they only allow reservations for 1/2 the sites. Five miles south there's Plaskett Creek, very nice, across highway from ocean. Doesn't fill up as fast as Kirk Creek.

Cambria and Morro Bay have RV campgrounds that are nice, but fill up. Try Pismo Beach if you're looking for a place to briefly stay. Sample the clam chowder anywhere in town.

Once you get closer to Los Angeles, the coastal campgrounds become expensive, crowded, paved parking lots. Consider a motel for the night.

Paul

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another great route in the San Francisco area if you're headed south is the Interstate 280.

I lived in San Jose for a short while, and I never got tired of taking that road to San Franciso.

You get the idea of why it's called The Golden State when you're there. Then back to the PCH after that.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
On the way down the California coast we stay at Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach. Another good place is Morro Dunes RV in Morro Bay.

In San Diego we stay at Chula Vista RV. Nice place and not too far from the attractions in San Diego.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Its really great to get all the tips on "local" campgrounds, thanks to all of you!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Orléans , Ontario
Thanks Road Geezer. We do plan on heading south from the Redwood Forest National park using the shoreline road Hwy 1 as much as possible. Can we drive this road towing our 25' trailer? We read and heard rumors that some sections would be challenging because of the curves in the highway. We pulled our trailer accross Vancouver Island from Nanaimo to Tofino . This is a very narrow road with lots of sharp curves and various degrees of elevations. Of all the roads we've traveled, this to me was the most difficult and we negociated it without any problems, there and back. I'm just wondering if there are any special treats roadwise waiting for us when we drive that section of our trip.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
If you traveled Nanaimo to Tofino without any problems than you will be able to handle any road you have on your planned route, including 1 unless there is construction which you can check on as you progress.

John
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I don't know about this for RVing, more like boondocking, but Andrew Molera campground in Big Sur was a favorite camping place in high school. There is a 1 mile walk into the campground, and another hike to a huge and deserted beach, and lots of places to wander in between
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Towing on CA Hwy 1

I've towed our 27' AS all the way from Monterey south to Cambria (before the washout); that's the majority of the scenic portion south of San Francisco. I encountered no turns or narrow spots that caused me any grief. And while I haven't towed our AS on the portion north of SF, I've driven it many times and believe you'll have no problems with the exception of one stretch south of Tomales Bay. It's best to head inland around Bodega Bay and continue south on Hwy 101. You'll only miss the very last of the north portion along with a couple great views of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Most all of Hwy 1--north and south portions--is a fairly wide 2 lane road with many turnouts allowing you to stop and enjoy the view without driving off a cliff; there are a few narrow bridges and spots in the road, but it is regularly traveled by large RVs and commercial trucks making deliveries to towns along the route.

At a rally this past weekend I spoke to an AS owner from Monterey and learned that the highway repair crews are having difficulty repairing the washout just north of Big Sur. He told me that when they do get the road repaired, they may impose a weight limitation of 5 tons. I don't know the details, but before you venture south of Monterey, you should check with the CA Highway Patrol, or CalTrans to get the latest road conditions on that stretch.

I believe you can travel north to Big Sur from San Luis Obispo or the Hwy 46 intersection; you just may not be able to drive through to Monterey. It's still worth the trip; the views are spectacular and the crowds at Big Sur will likely be quite a bit smaller.

Enjoy the ride,

Paul
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I haven't been to the coast since 1994. I loved Monterey. I hated to leave. I'd love to take an extended trip up the coast again but my wife'd kill me if I was gone that long. She'd sell my guitars to the Gypsies.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
We just drove home from Casini ranch, 27 miles up coast route 1 (PCH in the south), up the Jenner grade with our 19 footer... it is very twisty from Jenner (at the mouth of the Russian River) north, and we were remarking that we couldn't see how anything much longer could tow on some parts of that route. The road eventually mostly straightens out, but there are still some tight turns with rocky embankments or steep drop offs every few miles.. I'd say, avoid Friday to Monday, to minimize the traffic to contend with if you're taking slow turns.

If you do come up this way, the views are spectacular and there are some nice places to stop along the way, the 85 miles from Jenner to Mendocino. Stewart's Point for provisions, Gualala for a stop, galleries and food, Anchor Bay for coffee and groceries, Point Arena for the bakery, Elk for meals at Queenie's... Mendocino is fun.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
What's a rivet?

2008 23' International CCD
Napa , California
We drive Hwy 1 and have been everywhere in California on it and never a problem with our 23, use to do parts of it in a semi with a 54ft trailer many moons ago and felt fine in that. Kirk Creek Campground between Cambria and Big Sur is beautiful, also some nice places in Big Sur, check them out before paying. Further north is Wrights Beach hard to get into on the weekends. And way up north there is a nice place in Casper just below Mendocino and there is a KOA in Westport north of Fort Bragg before 1 goes back inland,

Daniel and Kathleen
SilverBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
We drive Hwy 1 and have been everywhere in California on it and never a problem with our 23, use to do parts of it in a semi with a 54ft trailer many moons ago and felt fine in that. Kirk Creek Campground between Cambria and Big Sur is beautiful, also some nice places in Big Sur, check them out before paying. Further north is Wrights Beach hard to get into on the weekends. And way up north there is a nice place in Casper just below Mendocino and there is a KOA in Westport north of Fort Bragg before 1 goes back inland,
Its interesting to hear about towing on route 1, but we're not that experienced with towing. We were looking at a very big trailer at Casini, 3 axles, thinking of towing THAT up 1. Caspar is very cool, and there is the lighthouse to visit and music at the Caspar Inn; The KOA at Westport is in a beautiful setting, we've had that one on our list.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Hanford , California
If you decide for Las Cruces instead of El Paso, the KOA there has an amazing elevated view of the city and mountains. Get one of the 'view' sites. very nice campground. Awesome sunrise.

2012 International 27FB
2011 F-250 CC Lariat Diesel
18driver is offline   Reply With Quote