Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
California

So Californian's, we have had a great trip to California and, i am very impressed with the state. it's beautiful. I've gotten some good advice from you on my trip out here so I am asking for a little help going home. I am in Pacifica just off of 101 and want to return home starting tomorrow using 40 across AZ. I want to get over to 5 to hook up with 40 (loved 101 but it is time to get back). I am pulling a 64 Trade Wind with a Nissan Pathfinder. Since I do not want to use the Bay Area bridges it looks like 152 or 46 are my choices. Any Idea's. Thanks in advance.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Take 152. 46 is a lot more dangerous, in my humble opinion. It's nickname is Blood Alley. There's also the intersection named for James Dean, the 46 Split, which is where he died.

But if you like wine, 46 does go thru the Paso Robles wine country!

Safe travels.
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Thanks, if I was just looking at the map I might of guessed the other way.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
* From PCH (Hwy-1) in Pacifica, take SHARP PARK ROAD, east to Hwy-280.

* Turn south on Hwy-280 to Hwy-85.

* Turn south on Hwy-85 to Hwy-101.

* Turn south on Hwy-101 to Hwy-152 EAST in Gilroy.

* Turn east on Hwy-152 to I-5. NOTE: After exiting Hwy-101 and turning eastbound over the overpass on Hwy-152, Gilroy Costco has cheap gas in the shopping center, one block east of 101 overpass and two blocks north of Hwy-152.

* Continue east on Hwy-152 to I-5. NOTE: Fresh fruit, vegetables, garlic braids, etc. in Gilroy at roadside stands. Also, clean restrooms, restaurant, campground and tourist attractions at Casa de Fruita, a few miles east of Gilroy, in the hills.

NOTE: State campgrounds at base of San Luis Reservoir Dam, a few miles west of I-5. For info, see: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=558

* Turn south on I-5 to Hwy 58 (Buttonwillow exit).

* Turn east on Hwy-58 (Rosedale Highway) to Hwy-99. Follow signs; Hwy-58 goes east several miles, then jogs south about 1.5 miles, then continues eastbound on surface streets. NOTE: Bakersfield Costco has cheap gas, one block west of (before) entrance onto Hwy-99, on north side of Rosedale Highway, next to Hungry Hunter Restaurant (turn left into shopping center at the traffic light).

* Turn south on Hwy-99 for approximately 2 miles, then exit (continue) onto Hwy-58 eastbound.

NOTE: At this point, if you are ready to stop overnight, see reviews for a campground in Tehachapi and an old Route 66-type motel in Barstow, below.

* Continue east on Hwy-58 to I-15 northbound (to Las Vegas).

* Continue northeast on I-15 to I-40 eastbound. NOTE: Cheap gas at Circle K, 2 blocks east of RodeWay Inn on Route 66 (Main Street).

* Continue eastbound on I-40 through Arizona.

==========

Tehachapi, CA - Brite Lake Campground (written by me, December 2012)

Very nice County Park 6 miles from Fairfield Inn and a little off the main highway, which makes this a hidden gem. Well-maintained dirt roads inside park. Most sites are pull-through and relatively level. Flush toilets and showers are functional, but old and not very clean. Very quiet and almost empty in off-season. Appears to be mostly day use by locals. Limited TV, strong cell and good 4G mobile broadband service.

Fees: Day use and fishing passes $5, tent camping/RV sites (dry camping sites with no hookups) $15, water and electric $20, full hookups $30. Dump station ($5 fee for non-campers).

Cute animal and fish wood carvings on signs throughout park. Dump station has full-size bear peaking out from behind outhouse door. Small reservoir has trout and catfish (limit 5 fish total per day). Easy, scenic walks around lake on top of dam and on interior park roads.

Brite Lake | Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Parks District

==========

TripAdvisor.com review (written by me, February 2013):

Barstow, CA - Rodeway Inn

“Older "Route 66" motel -- Recently refurbished and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!”

This is an older "Route 66" motel that appears to have been recently refurbished, and it's extremely clean. The rooms are smaller than newer chain properties, but certainly adequate for a overnight stay on a roadtrip, or as a base for those visiting the Barstow area. Our room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot, besides flat-screen TV. However, this is definitely not a resort destination.

If you are just passing through Barstow, it is a convenient, safe, clean place to stay, and a great value at about half the price of Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express and other mid-range hotels.

Those traveling with RVs will probably not be able to park on property. However, there is plenty of space in the shopping center parking lot across the street. In addition, this motel is in an older part of town; but the area appears to be patrolled regularly by the local police, and we felt safe walking to nearby restaurants in the late evening.

Complementary breakfast was limited compared to other mid-range hotels, but all items were fresh and good quality. Considering room price, the free breakfast was a very good value.

Barstow California hotels, Rodeway Inn, hotels near Mojave National Preserve
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Don't miss the Wood Growers Restaurant in Los Banos on 152. No - really - don't miss it! A legendary Basque restaurant that people will go out of their way just to experience it - and this is ON your way!

It is one of the best "food experiences" you will ever have and you'll never regret it! Just order "dinner" and introduce yourselves to the people you're seated with - it's family style - and wonderful.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Manynthanks, on the road tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
OilnH2o, thanks for restaurant advice; enjoyed reading the food reviews. We are planning on stopping there on our next trip to the Bay Area.

==========

Wool Growers Restaurant
609 H Street, Los Banos, CA
Phone: 209-826-4593

French Basque food served family style in old-style dining hall with long tables and benches. Special courses include lamb stew, chicken rice and pigs feet (on Tuesdays). Entries include baked chicken, prime rib, NY sirloin, lamb and pork chops. Unlimited sides and house wine; and HUGE PORTIONS!

Important note: CASH ONLY!

Food reviews: Wool Growers Restaurant - Los Banos, CA
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Additional note: Toscano RV (an Airstream Dealer) is located on Hwy-152 on the east side of Los Banos. Surprisingly large RV supplies store and service center (similar to Camping World).
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
So Californian's, we have had a great trip to California and, i am very impressed with the state. it's beautiful. I've gotten some good advice from you on my trip out here so I am asking for a little help going home. I am in Pacifica just off of 101 and want to return home starting tomorrow using 40 across AZ. I want to get over to 5 to hook up with 40 (loved 101 but it is time to get back). I am pulling a 64 Trade Wind with a Nissan Pathfinder. Since I do not want to use the Bay Area bridges it looks like 152 or 46 are my choices. Any Idea's. Thanks in advance.
Hey there TT we were next to you in the Toaster. Hope you are having a great trip home! That is a great trailer you have there!
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Thanks ll2, enjoyed talking to you.