Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Question Calif SR 36 Benbow to Red Bluff

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may be familiar with this route. I've got to get from Benbow, CA (near Garberville) to Red Bluff via Hwy. 36. According to Google maps I've got a few choices but all of them cross between Hwy 101 and I-5 through the mountains on SR36.

I'm towing a 27FB International with a Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, short bed. The truck is 20' long and of course with the tongue and trailer I'm looking at about 50' of length.

Anyone done that route I'd be happy to hear about it.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
I have not driven the route but I would suggest that you check out this link. It appears that California Highway 36 is a very scenic and loopy road that probably can be dangerous during periods of bad weather.
Motorcycle Ride Highway 36 - Red Bluff to Eureka, California

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogfox View Post
I have not driven the route but I would suggest that you check out this link. It appears that California Highway 36 is a very scenic and loopy road that probably can be dangerous during periods of bad weather.
Motorcycle Ride Highway 36 - Red Bluff to Eureka, California
Thanks for that link, I've been watching youtube videos of rides on that road all shot by motorcyclists. Seems to be a cult road for bikers, I've also been going over the route with google maps in satellite and terrain views.

At this point I don't see a great alternative for making the trip which I have to do. All I can say to the bikers behind me for 150 miles is "I'll try to find a pullout once in a while"

Our travel log
Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I once saw a bumper sticker that said " I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you ". Might be appropriate for your trip. Drive carefully and enjoy the view.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Hi xo1rider, The wife and I pulled our 31' thru just last month on Hwy 36, We chose to go on a tuesday and saw no bikes at all. Weekends seem to be the key for the bike riders. The few tight turns were on the west side of the minor pass which worked out for us being that we really enjoy the coastal redwoods and dont mind riding it slow. Once you are over the top you will find smooth sailing all the way to 5. It was so nice we intend to head back to Cresent city via the same route this coming spring. Paul & Linda
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Mark - give us a pirep once you complete the run...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
So today I did the drive on SR36 from Hwy 101 to I-5 between Fortuna, CA and Red Bluff, CA. It's a twisty mountain road that climbs from sea level to just above 4,000'.

Some of the road was a bit wet and slick from recent rains, there was snow on the shoulders and on the higher peaks along the road but in general the road was clear. One of the first things you see is "trailers not advised passed Bridgeville". Prior to the drive I checked with the highway department and their only restriction was no trailers longer than 65'.

In general it was not a hard drive, there were several switchbacks but none that my 27FB International towed by the Chevy could not handle with ease. There was one climb that got my attention when the sign advertised a 10% grade, that was one of the area with slick pavement and switching from 2WD to AWD did the trick.

The thing that got my attention was how good my 2011 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6l Durmax handled the trip. The truck has a "tow haul" mode, exhaust brake and of course a brake controller.

The hitch is an Equal-i-zer as far as I'm concerned the truck and trailer felt like one unit. No sway, no problems it was a nice easy trip.

Our travel log