Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Calgary Camping?

Hello, would anyone have some advice as to where to camp in or near Calgary Alberta? We will visit our son for a week or so in June. Our plan is to travel across the Northern States then re-enter Canada.
Any information would be appreciated.

Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
Brian, I have not camped there, but a google search for Alberta Provincial Parks came up with the Bow Valley Provincial Park being fairly close to Calgary, 124 sites and reservations accepted.

Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON

The best investment I've made so far in camping is to get Woodall's directory. Camping World has it for about $20, so just get it, it makes deciding a lot easier. It's a fat book with a CD. You put in the city you want, check the features you want to have (50 amp, internet, swimming, and so on) and you get a list of qualified camps (that's the CD).

For Calgary, check out Calgary West Campground. It's in Calgary, by the way. Only one with a pool, and it's heated. Wifi Internet, and so on.

They get by far the highest rating for both the facilities and "recreation" in the area and 301 sites.

By the way, I have NO affiliation with Woodall's I just love taking the mystery out of camping.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hi Brian!

I live in Calgary and drive past a KOA campground every day on the west end of the city on the transcanada hwy. Another option is the Symon's Valley Ranch Campground which is on the north end of the city. Both are RV friendly, provide good access into the city, and can be googled online for more info. If you're interested in mountains + golf, the Mount Kidd RV Park is a good option about 1.5 hrs west of Calgary in Kananaskis Provincial Park. You can book online, which I would advise since it seems to be pretty popular. Never stayed there myself, tho.

If you're up for something quieter and more scenic, our favourite spot is the Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff National Park, about 1.5 hrs west of the city. They have full hookups or electrical only and are very RV friendly. The rates are reasonable by local standards (can't remember what we pay) and the spots are very quiet. You'll have to pay a single entry fee at the park gates of around $10, but they also have weekly rates - well worth the expense if you ask me. Again, you can book online.

In terms of navigating the city, bear in mind that Calgary is a booming city of 1.1 million people (most transplanted from TO and your neck of the woods! ;-)) and the majority of people drive vs. taking our (crappy) public transport. Rush hours are pretty brutal and there is a construction everywhere. If I were towing, I'd definitely want to avoid the hrs between 6-9am, 11:30-1pm, and 4-6pm weekdays, especially if I were coming from the south on Glenmore, Macleod or Sarcee Trails - east or west it's not too bad. Traffic is usually slightly less on fridays as people leave early to their weekend homes in Invermere or Canmore, and slightly worse on Mondays as they come back. Weekends, the roads are always busy between 11 - 5pm.

If you stay past June into the first week or so of July, you'll be getting into the Calgary Stampede season. At that time I imagine that ALL the local camp grounds book solid as an addition few hundred thousand people flock to our fine city. It's worth taking in, if you happen to be around, btw. Not too many places left on earth you can watch nightly rodeo and chuck wagon races!!! Talk about your thoroughbred towing vehicles!
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Howdy Brian!! I too live in Calgary, to add there is another couple around the city one is near our new mega mall on the Queen 2 HIGHWAY north at the Balzac turn off not the fanciest but close to the city and another is on the #1 east about 5 miles out its very clean and well kept another is located 10 miles west on the #1 beside Calaway fun park and numeous around Canmore and Banff. Hope you head this way this summer Calgary is a great place to visit! Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario

Thanks to each of you for your advice. It is appreciated.
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Just to chime in, another option is about 20 minutes south of the city, there are a few campground in the Okotoks area. Sheep River, Nature's Hideaway, and another couple for sure.

Okotoks is just off the main highway south of town, and the town, being obviously a lot smaller then the city, yet with full amenities (a couple large grocery stores, for example) mean a little easier access and ability to navigate around town as opposed to trying to find something in the big city.

lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote