Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Cades Cove Campground GSMNP

We were going to spend 4 nights in Great Smoky Mountain NP in mid-October. I have stayed at Twin Creek in Gatlinburg several times, but this time we are wanting something scenic and more rustic. We are thinking about Cades Cove Campground, has anyone stayed there? Did you enjoy?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, nice campground, and kind of out away from the busyness...and yet not too far from Gatlinburg and the rest of the park.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yes, nice campground, and kind of out away from the business...and yet not too far from Gatlinburg and the rest of the park.

Thank you!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My best memory is relaxing in my zero gravity chair and a nuthatch landed on my knee. Stayed there for a full minute looking at me, like, "where's my treat?"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My best memory is relaxing in my zero gravity chair and a nuthatch landed on my knee. Stayed there for a full minute looking at me, like, "where's my treat?"

That sounds like a special moment!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have stayed there, a lovely and peaceful place.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Have stayed there, a lovely and peaceful place.

Maggie

Thank you Maggie, sounds perfect. I am going to pick my daughter up from college for fall break and we are going to have a five-day father daughter outing. Campfires, hiking, etc...

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
I have stayed there. It has very heavy tree cover, but not much vegetation between sites—so not the most private of CG’s I have been to. I preferred smokemont....it had a bit more privacy, and is right on a scenic creek....but is on the other side of the park
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Just remember that you are visiting during the height of the leaf-peeping season. The park, and all surrounding areas, will be very congested. Just take your time, allow yourself time to get into the campground before it gets dark (otherwise, navigating can be a bit tough in the dark), relax and enjoy the cool environment of the campground. Since you will be staying in that section of the park take time to go into Townsend and visit the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center (with its new museum), Appalachian Bear Rescue Education Center, and eat at Dancing Bear Lodge. Have a great time!
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
also there is Elkmont Campground. It's closer to Gatlinburg. I'm not sure you can get your 30' in there.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
'Camped' in an Appalachian Trail shelter and hiked down to the cove years ago. Was backpacking the Smoky Mountains during October. The best month.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
We are thinking about Cades Cove Campground, has anyone stayed there? Did you enjoy?

Greg
Yes, years ago in a tent camper. It's my favorite place in the Smokies. Not sure how the road in would be for an Airstream. Be sure to get up early and take the loop road. We'd take a thermos of coffee into the woods from the cutoff, and just sit. Deer walked about 10' from me. I once met a bear on a trail. All I recall is how big his feet were. I froze and he kept going.
Mid October? I'm sure the Smokies get crowded with the "leafers".

OBTW, we were enjoying dinner at the picnic table when about 50 skunks came out of the woods, looking for garbage. They are fearless. Ever had skunks step on your feet while eating?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciekaput View Post
I have stayed there. It has very heavy tree cover, but not much vegetation between sites—so not the most private of CG’s I have been to. I preferred smokemont....it had a bit more privacy, and is right on a scenic creek....but is on the other side of the park
Thanks for the information, I will also look into Smokemont.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Just remember that you are visiting during the height of the leaf-peeping season. The park, and all surrounding areas, will be very congested. Just take your time, allow yourself time to get into the campground before it gets dark (otherwise, navigating can be a bit tough in the dark), relax and enjoy the cool environment of the campground. Since you will be staying in that section of the park take time to go into Townsend and visit the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center (with its new museum), Appalachian Bear Rescue Education Center, and eat at Dancing Bear Lodge. Have a great time!
Thanks for the reminders and recommendations!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
also there is Elkmont Campground. It's closer to Gatlinburg. I'm not sure you can get your 30' in there.
Thank you for reminding me about Elkmont, I will take a look at that. I will actually be pulling my 25 for this trip, so it might fit?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes, years ago in a tent camper. It's my favorite place in the Smokies. Not sure how the road in would be for an Airstream. Be sure to get up early and take the loop road. We'd take a thermos of coffee into the woods from the cutoff, and just sit. Deer walked about 10' from me. I once met a bear on a trail. All I recall is how big his feet were. I froze and he kept going.
Mid October? I'm sure the Smokies get crowded with the "leafers".

OBTW, we were enjoying dinner at the picnic table when about 50 skunks came out of the woods, looking for garbage. They are fearless. Ever had skunks step on your feet while eating?
Wow!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you need a full hook up site, Townsend is where we always go. The locals call it " the peaceful side of the Smokies". It is close to Cades Cove. Since you are going in mid-October don't wait to make reservations as the others have noted it is peak leaf season and the crowds are big.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
We spent a week in the Great Smokies in May. We stayed at the KOA in Townsend, Cades Cove, and Smokemont. It was a great time to go there as the weather was great and almost no crowds. It felt like we almost had the park to ourselves.

About the campgrounds:

1. KOA in Townsend was typical KOA. A bit too close for comfort but nice to have the hookups. It is about 8 miles from Cades Cove.

2. Cades Cove Campground is, of course, dry camping. Haul water in 6 gallon containers. Use solar (except there are trees everywhere) or generator to keep batteries up. The 11 mile loop in Cades Cove was quite pretty but would recommend bicycles or ebikes instead of car. The loop is one way and can get very congested and full of exhaust fumes. It was literally bumper to bumper moving at most 2-3 MPH on the Sunday we tried to drive. On Saturday and Wednesday morning the loop is is closed to cars and only bicycles are allowed. Much nicer.

3. Smokemont Campground - Nice pull through sites but also dry camping. There is a bit less tree cover on some sites so solar could work better. The site is within a few miles of the Ocanaluftee Visitor's center. There were elk near the center at dusk each day. Cherokee is only a bit further, and we used to replenish our supplies.

Really you can't miss with any of these. Hope you enjoy!
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Just returned yesterday. All sites at CC are "primitive" by design, 2 loops, B and C. One is generator friendly the other is generator free. Lots of shade, smaller sites, fairly close together.

Camp store across from the ranger station has basic necessities. Temps were in the low 90's with 70% humidity. Walk-up sites were available, although all sites are reservable.

You will need a reservation in Oct. as this is a very busy time according to the rangers.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
If you need a full hook up site, Townsend is where we always go. The locals call it " the peaceful side of the Smokies". It is close to Cades Cove. Since you are going in mid-October don't wait to make reservations as the others have noted it is peak leaf season and the crowds are big.

Thank you for the feedback!

WBCCI #8996