Old 08-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjudy View Post
Check with your credit card company as not all charge the foreign transaction fee. Our SW credit card doesn't so it is used exclusively when traveling out of the country.
Pentagon Federal Credit Unions free credit card works at the pump in Canada and does not charge the 3% foreign transaction fee . On top of all that , it pays 5% cashback on all pay at the pump transactions as well as at grocery stores . Got one of these before we drove to Alaska and back and had no trouble with it at all.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Okanagan Falls , British Columbia
There are only a couple of brands that sell more than one grade of diesel fuel. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel and used to have a 2004 Ram 3500 diesel and never ran the "premium" diesel in either truck (I am a Canadian). Some stations advertise that they sell diesel and some don't. 99% of Husky or Mohawk fuel stations will sell diesel, other brands it will be more 50 / 50. You won't have any issues running the diesel sold here in your truck. Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There is no problem buying fuel or using American monies, if fact they like it....most wall arts there have wifi in they parking lots....
Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #32
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
#2 has been the standard for decades for normal use
#1 is formulated for below zero temperature use .
Those aren't grades of diesel. #2 is diesel. Also known as home heating oil. #1 is also called stove oil. It is lighter, has less lubricity, and has a lower energy content. Traditionally, we blended a % of #1 into diesel to handle cold weather, since diesel gelled at -10 C or so. Other ways of handling cold weather included additives that are not related to stove oil. #1 caused some problem with injectors due to the lower lubricity, or dryness, of the fuel, depending on the % used.

Grades of diesel generally refer to cetane rating, but may also refer to biodiesel blend percentages. But in the summer at name brand stations, it isn't likely to matter.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #33
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
By the way, there is a sneaky little fix for that.

George
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Just use the 3 numbers in your postal code and add "00". So, for V7A 2B3 just punch in 72300. Most times that works.
Been there, got the T shirt. If you try three times and it doesn't work, your bank can lock your credit card on the suspicion that it has been stolen, and you don't get to use that no fee card until you return to Canada and visit your bank to prove that the card is still in your possession. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
jcl - if the pump rejects the zip code I just go in and deal with the attendant. For the past 7 years I've wintered in AZ and I've never had my card cancelled for "zip code violation". I also travel with more than one credit card.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:27 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Been there, got the T shirt. If you try three times and it doesn't work, your bank can lock your credit card on the suspicion that it has been stolen, and you don't get to use that no fee card until you return to Canada and visit your bank to prove that the card is still in your possession. Ask me how I know.
In the US of A for 4 months last winter and it worked every time. It's only when you get the pin code wrong that you can have problems. Ask me how. I know.

George
Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't use Diesel, but don't forget to bring a Rabies shot record for your dog, if you bring your dog with you.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Got the dog's health certificate yesterday stating that she is free of every disease known to dog or man, and has been vaccinated against everything from rabies to the clap.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #38
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
jcl - if the pump rejects the zip code I just go in and deal with the attendant. For the past 7 years I've wintered in AZ and I've never had my card cancelled for "zip code violation". I also travel with more than one credit card.
That is the lesson, if it doesn't work. Don't keep trying.

To be fair, the card wasn't cancelled, it was just frozen and was thus unusable. I spoke to my bank on the phone and they wanted me to visit a physical branch to reset the pin. I had two other cards, so it was just a nuisance. It turned out that my bank knew about the specific chain I was trying to use and recommended not using them again due to recurring issues.

I just go in to see the attendant now.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In the UK, I have always tried to use the BP "premium" diesel from the local station in the 2002 Mercedes E320 turbo diesel station wagon.
We've just arrived back home from a road trip through Denmark and Germany. Our rental vehicle was a brand new VW Passat Diesel, really quite amazing. Average fuel economy was 5l/100km or about 50 miles to the gallon. First time I stopped at a red traffic light the car freaked me out as the engine stopped. The second I took the foot off the brake pedal it started again, amazing.

We used regular diesel all the way, with no ill effects. It was interesting to see that the car we were driving was also a very popular tow vehicle, towing trailers that looked about 27' long.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
European trailers are much lighter in build and only have surge brakes and minimum tongue weight.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:33 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. We're going to Banff, Lake Louise, and parts of the Canadian Rockies. I'll have my B of A debit card, which requires an access code, so maybe that will work better than a Visa charge card.
If you use a Bank of America debit card, try to find a Scotiabank to withdraw money. I believe there is an agreement between the banks so there is no transaction fee. We have a Scotiabank card and use Bank of America in the U.S.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #42
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
If you use a Bank of America debit card, try to find a Scotiabank to withdraw money. I believe there is an agreement between the banks so there is no transaction fee. We have a Scotiabank card and use Bank of America in the U.S.

that agreement went away several years ago. best to have a VISA that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and also has a security chip as many places in Canada require said chip to accept your card.