Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Buying a new tow vehicle out of state.

What issues will I run into buying and registering a tow vehicle in another state or in Canada if my 99 F250 dies on a trip??

I live in New Mexico. I want to take a trip through British Columbia to Alaska. My 99 F250 has 173,000 miles on it. It still runs good. Should I replace it now? or wait till I get back from Alaska? What would you do?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If it is running ok why replace it?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Each state has different laws regarding auto sales for out of star buyers. Some require you to pay their sales tax. Not sure about Canada. I would have your current truck checked over to see if it can make the trip.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It is done all the time but procedures will vary.
I bought my truck from an out of state dealer. In that case it was delivered to my door and the paperwork and tax money sent to the local registrars office
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
a Canadian vehicle will probably not meet US requirements so that is a really bad option for you. normally, you will be given a trip permit allowing you to take the vehicle back to your home state to get a title and registration, pretty simple and commonly done.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
a Canadian vehicle will probably not meet US requirements so that is a really bad option for you. normally, you will be given a trip permit allowing you to take the vehicle back to your home state to get a title and registration, pretty simple and commonly done.
What US requirements are you referring to?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I should also mention my F250 has a 3.5 Triton engine. I live in an area without emission testing.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I assume that gpt is referring to US emissions and safety requirements. Shouldn't be a problem for new or nearly new vehicles bought in Canada, but necessary that you check that vehicle complies before purchasing. Things like km/miles are no longer a problem, digital displays are the norm now. Canadian vehicles require daylight driving lights.

Duty could be involved in import to US if the vehicle is not one of the Big Three.

There may be decent vehicle prices to be had in Canada with our plummeting currency.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Seeing how it sounds like you'll be buying a new TV anyway ("or should I wait until I get back from Alaska") my advice would be to go ahead and buy one ahead of the trip and then enjoy the added security. If you weren't in the market for one, I'd say just go with what you have...my last one used on cross-country trips had 245k miles on it, the one I traded it in for now has 182k miles. In the worst case you could also take the Alaska State Marine Highway (ferry) back to the States. jon
PS: I'll make your trip in late August.
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buying a vehicle out of state should be done only if the transaction can be structured so that you pay sales tax and registration only in your home state. In most cases, the selling dealer in another state doesn't want to be bothered with an out of state delivery and will try to collect the sales tax at the time of sale which the dealer is required to do for an in state sale. When you come back to your home state to register the vehicle, you run the risk of having to pay the sales tax again. It is better to buy at home rather than pay two sales taxes.
I wouldn't attempt buying something in Canada and trying to register it in the U.S.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We purchased our car in Colorado and the Tundra in Wyoming. We live in Nebraska.
No problems what so ever.
The car was actually delivered here (new) and the dealer took a personal check for the entire amount.
The Tundra was only 8 miles away. They also took a personal check for the truck.
I thought the free trade agreement is intended to eliminate any duty.
I wonder if the Tundras sold in Canada are made in Texas?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I would guess that Japanese vehicles built in the US or Canada would be duty exempt.

As others have said, much simpler to purchase in your home state!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Buying a TV in Canada, then taking it into the US:

if less than 25 years old has to have letter from mfg that it meets us emissions (and safety?) standards

If VIN starts with a number it is duty free. If the VIN starts with a letter then you have to pay duty.

As far as sales tax in Canada, I've no experience. State tax payable depends on the state. CA, FL, and some others you pay the tax unless you ship unit out os state.

I think this is correct.

Cheers, John, some where in LA.
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Why ? Are you itching to pay Canadian sales tax ?

Sounds like the truck is just getting broken in.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
From what I've heard, the roads in Alaska are pretty rough. Might be better to drive the old truck there so as not to damage a new vehicle.
printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The roads in Alaska are in amazingly great condition. However, the ALCAN highway is rougher than a cob for the last 100 miles through Canada. It's built on permafrost and the thawing and freezing roadbed is impossible to maintain during the short summer repair season. I experienced pot holes 8-10 inches deep every foot or so. I mean it is really rough, really rough. Thank God formy airride. Now, the only Alaskan road that is rough is the road to Prudo Bay from Fairbanks. It is the "ICE Trucker's" road. I did not take it because an Airstreamer who did said my traveling buddys' F-150 Ford/ Airstream combination would not withstand the roughness. He said my 2500HD was OK.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I have a 1999 GMC pickup with about 180000 mi on it and I pulled my 31' AS from Barrie ON to Whitehorse YK and return about 8000 mi, last summer had no problems at all.
Just have good reliable roadside asst. I use Good Sam.
Happy trails.
PS. guskmg; I don't know when you went but last July I travelled from Edmonton AB to Whitehorse YK on the Alaska Highway and except where a bit of road construction was going on it was very good.
You have to go thru Whitehorse to get to AK and a lot of people come there from AK to shop and the ones I talked to said the road in AK was really rough.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
I'm sure a vehicle Canadian vehicle will pass US requirements. My soninlaw bought a US p/u trk from a Canadian dealer and it had to have changes made to meet Can standards EG: running lights and passing the emissions test every 2 years. However the milage will show in kilometers and everything will be in metric so getting even minor repairs done in US may be frustrating, lol
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Buying a vehicle in another state is the same as buying it in your own state.You are only taxed on where you live and you will pay that when you get home unless you finance it with the selling dealer then it is collected there in most cases. .The selling dealer will provide you with the necessary paperwork to take home with you.The only thing he will not provide is your states emission testing (if required in your state) or your states motor vehicle inspection (if required).This only applies to USA as Canada has their own rules.I have done this for a living for almost 40 years so I am well versed on this subject.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Not familiar with a 3.5 gas engine, it's either a 5.4 V-8 or a 6.8 V-10. At any rate, with those miles on the vehicle, I wouldn't be as concerned with the engine (assuming you have kept up with the normal maintenance items; spark plugs, fuel filters, etc), as I would be with the transmission. If you have an automatic tranny, you should get it serviced completely and with the pan off, have them add a Transgo Tugger Shift Kit, which will replace many of the Ford plastic parts with HD parts. Also, you should have your brakes checked and have really good 10 ply tires. Gas engines, well taken care of should last 250,000 miles without much problem
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote