Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Lovettsville , Virginia
Another thought: CB's have lost popularity as a mobile communication device due to advancements in technology, limited range etc. For the cost of quality unit and antenna, someone can purchase 4 to 8 FMRS radios that operate at much higher frequencies and have better range with less static, using less power. It seems to me, they're typically used these days only by commercial truck drivers (not all), and clubs/groups like Jeep Jamborees, off-road groups, caravans, and occasionally, some motorcycle groups. If I had it to do again, I would've saved my money and not gotten a CB.
85 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't believe the FMRS package range claims. On water during an overcast day....maybe. Normal use, cut it in half at best. The best units I have had (of 3 pair bought), advertise as 18 mile range, ONCE had 7 mile communication between cars. You can count on a mile, maybe two for clear consistent communication.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We still use them in our unit on caravans, and I keep it on when traveling long distances just because, but keep the squelch so tight that someone has to be very close to me for me to hear anything. But, once in a while it does come in handy for road condition or traffic info. Had this all in the mike unit for years with a magnet mount antenna, but don't know if I'd go out and buy one today.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I have a small Uniden in the truck with a cheap mag mount antenna. It's under the front seat on the trans hump out of the way so it's available if I want to use it. I've had it for about 20 years, paid around $50 for it. I use it some when traveling with the Airstream, it's best when traveling in a group where everyone has a CB. We're Canadians so roaming charges are quite expensive when traveling in the US so cell phones are not really a viable method of communicating between vehicles for us.

I also have a portable hand held CB with an external mag mount antenna, I never use it myself but lend it to friends we're travelling with who don't own a CB.

I'm not an electronics expert so the basic models seem to work well for me. In high school I dropped some coin on a big fancy Midland Power Max. Looked cool under the dash of my Mustang with the 6' whip on the trunk but I never did get it to work well, too many adjustments and tuning required. I eventually traded it to a friend for a case of beer which he helped me drink while we installed it in his Jeep.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I have both CB and FMRS. The CB is worthless while the FMRS is way more practicle. Bear in mind it is line of sight transmission. I have had good results up to 9 miles under the right conditions and have used them at rallys.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Cobra 149 GTL /SSB, 100watt linear amp, 1/4 wave antenna. SSB will be the only means of DX comms, when we get EMP'd. That is if your set doesn't fry.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I had a CB in the Wrangler and quit using it because the language had gotten so offensive I could hardly stand to use it. A client that became a good friend suggested I get my HAM ticket and then a 2meter FM radio for the Jeep. Code is no longer required to become a HAM. The world opens up with that ticket. I would suggest that you at least consider it. Find a local ham and ask for guidance, most are happy to "Elmer".
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Waze……..what you need to know

A world class expert ( long story just trust me ) long distance street driver, insisted on me using Waze. I was going from New Jersey to Long Island, which took me on VERY challenging highways, where lane choices are key, fast decision making is needed, drivers are bat short crazy, traffic is thick and fast, and there are MANY choices and combinations of routes.

I arrived at destination, and back, way faster than I could have imagined.

BUT…..BUT……BUT…I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT USING IT WITHOUT A FOCUSED NAVIGATOR SITTING SHOTGUN. ( hint…hands on the wheel, eyes on the road )

HEADS UP…At one point Waze had me exit the highway, only to get right back on.
AND…A hundred yards or so, right before a key exit that would have me committed to one route, it changed routes twice, and then back to the original route it had chosen. ( there are at least 5 different bridges/tunnels/routes going through New York City area )

Waze gets a lot of it's info from users/drivers. Lots of info about stranded cars and speed traps that don't get retracted
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
We were on the WBCCI Alyeska Caravan last summer with Martin and a CB radio was required. It was necessary to communicate with the parking crew at each stop, and it was handy talking to our "travel buddy" on the road (we traveled in packs of 2 or 3 trailers). We used channel 14 on our CB and it was pretty clear.

That said, the range on our handheld unit was only a couple of miles. If you were traveling alone I would not see much use for a CB; if you were traveling with another trailer it would be useful, especially where there was no cell service.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I drive a Wrangler and most off road trips require a CB to talk to each other on the trails. When pulling my trailer I use it when I caravan and to find out about road work or accidents ahead. Several times I picked up a trucker coming the opposite way that was warning people of an accident that had traffic stopped ahead. Sometimes it's that little bit of early info that gets you off at the closest exit. I am going with a group of 8 trailers out to WY this summer and we will put the non CB trailers in the middle of the group so they don't get lost if someone needs to exit.

This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-4...cobra+cb+radio

I also use a remote speaker that doubles as my music speaker for my Iphone.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
FMRS radios are fine, but the metal body of your TV doesn't help any with the reception.

WAZE has a great reputation, but there's not cell phone service everywhere, especially out west here - or a few hours south, in Mexico. Phone rates there are ridiculous, thanks to your friend Carlos Slim.

There's a time and place for everything, and if you're at the time and place where a CB is your only option, you definitely want a good one - with a good and well-tuned antenna.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #32
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
CBs have quite a few useful functions. I love it the long drives and helps out if there is trouble of any king ahead. I'd suggest you look into a Uniden model 980 or 880. Smaller than most with nice features. Otherwise a Stryker 89MC would be great.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well, if anyone has a 'used' CB they won't be running again, perhaps a 'loan' or other arrangement can be made...like buying it from you... this way, if it turns out to be useful, then we are helping each other... if not, well, you can sell it..

Perhaps this is a 'back channel' request and subsequent reply...
Back a while ago, you were 'limited' to 4 watts output.. so, is that no longer an issue or has the FCC just quit worrying about that... ?

I like the idea of the Radio.. the CB is the least expensive. I have some GMRS handhelds with plenty of push... can penetrate most buildings on my site.. and that is with the 'stubby/flex antenna' without external antennas..

The HAM is a great idea.. and there is someone local who offered to get me 'up to speed' for the test.. hmmm....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post

The HAM is a great idea.. and there is someone local who offered to get me 'up to speed' for the test.. hmmm....
There you go, a local HAM has already offered to Elmer! Jump right in. Ham Test Online makes the study easy.

HamTestOnline
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #35
Cajun Traveler

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
If you plan on joining a caravan, get one. It's easier for the leader to keep everyone informed. Great for listening the the truckers on road and weather conditions.
Billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #36
2014 30' International

2014 30' International
Scarborough , Ontario
Hi,
We now have a CB as we are going on a Caravan and all your great advice
has been weighed. Thank you so much.
Eheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eheart View Post
Hi,
We now have a CB as we are going on a Caravan and all your great advice
has been weighed. Thank you so much.
So what did you and up getting and what Caravan are you heading out on?
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Buying a CB

Been using one at work constantly the last three years and on-off nearly twenty years before that. I get a great deal of enjoyment from a CB that has great reception. One has to spend to get to the level I reference as antenna quality, placement, tuning, etc tends to be painstaking. And many who spend a great deal aren't interested long range reception (relative to this type).

As I may be on the road at any hour of the clock, it can be great deal more interesting than late night radio. Especially when skip is rolling and conversations from hundreds of miles away can be heard.

A very good radio such as the Galaxy 99V2 and triple magnet roof mount with a Wilson 2000 or 5000 antenna can replicate most of this. It is how my TV is currently set up. I use a Hustler quick disconnect to easily remove the antenna overnight, etc. I add a West Mountain Radio digital sound processing speaker for the final touch. Enough punch to get out a ways, but with fantastic ears. Low power draw relative to some others.

An Astatic 636 or Telex Roadking 56 mike.

The little handhelds and low end CBs such as a Cobra 29 have little performance. Why so many disparage CB

Sort of like best hitch rigging. Next to none know what it is despite their opinions.

There might be five or six shops in US that have a quality reputation. I use Clays in San Antonio.

Have lately heard good things about the Mirage MX-36. Less expensive. I do like backlighting and a large meter, but if the receive is great may get one.

Much of the HAM guidelines for mobile transceivers applies to CB. Take your time and be prepared to be surprised.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Amateur Radio all the way

I would like to chime in with a general opinion.

Ditch the CB's and become a HAM. The test is not that difficult and it will teach you the basics of radio theory. Once you learn the basics of radio theory, you won't fall victim to the marketing hype that goes with the CB culture. You don't need powered mic's and "super penetrator" (whatever that means) antennas. You will also find a community of helpful people willing to help at every turn.

Additionally, once the bug bites you, you may find a new hobby that you enjoy! Amateur radio does not have to be giant antennas with tower in your yard, studying solar cycles, or spending thousands of dollars. As a matter of fact you can communicate GLOBALLY using VHF or UHF handheld radios. Those radios can be purchased for around $50. You just need to know how to do it (in range of an internet connected node). For more information, look up IRLP and take a look at how many nodes are in the world. I spend my time on the Alaska Reflector. The reflector aggregates all the nodes into one place so they can talk from any location. I won't even go into the subject of mobile nodes. Suffice to say that with a mobile node you are connected wherever you have internet!

If you want to forego the testing you can still benefit from using MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service). They operate in the VHF band and most importantly, you can use them legally with an external antenna. The external antenna with dramatically increase the range. However, they are not yet permitted for use in Canada. See this:

Multi-Use Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those that are already HAM's, come say hello on the Alaska Reflector. I'm not always on but it can be a great place to hang out.

Mark

WL7NI
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No one is out there in Ham land on this road I'm travelling. Simple enough?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote