Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
i would never buy a camp site unless i was to old and in bad health to tow anymore.
i like to go to different campgrounds.
Pismo Coast Village is about half way between our Northern and
Southern California homes. Having a share there allows us to break up our north/south trips with a week or two at Pismo several times a year with no cost. Sometimes we meet friends/family there who can stay on our time.

We too travel to different places about 150 days/nights a year.

Works well for us.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Pismo Coast Village is about half way between our Northern and
Southern California homes. Having a share there allows us to break up our north/south trips with a week or two at Pismo several times a year with no cost. Sometimes we meet friends/family there who can stay on our time.

We too travel to different places about 150 days/nights a year.

Works well for us.
I bet they have great wind for kites too!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I bet they have great wind for kites too!
There is usually a very nice breeze from the ocean. There is a tall berm along the beach side of the park, so there is usually very little wind inside the park.
We were there from Dec 19th - 29th. Flew every day except two (rain).
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
Minnesota? I'll visit there when they run Michelle Bachman out of town on a rail.

Anyway, I have my eye on two which are on the Oregon coast. They both are on the ocean but are pricey (imho) at $149k and $160k, respectively. We are a long way off from even thinking about doing this but it's never too early to do research.

We belong to Thousand Trails which has been nice but I may let our temporary membership lapse next year. There are much nicer private campgrounds out there.
On the contrary, I'd be proud to have Michelle Bachman and others of her mindset as my neighbor!!!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Be sure and check the financial strength of the cooperative/management company/association/whatever. Some are underfunded and raise dues, cut services, cut maintainence, or simply close leaving shareholders with nothing.

The Minnesota Airstarem park (airstreampark.com) is a unique organization among share-based campgrounds, in that it only permits Airstream-manufactured units on the lots.
Virginia Highland Haven Highland Haven is another unique Airstream owner only park.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
We are leaseholders at an Escapees Park - the Saguaro SKP Park - in Benson, AZ. It is a really nice park in SE Arizona. The Escapees is a travel group that has all sorts of services for RV travelers including mail services, RV parks, publications, rallies, etc. As our park is a co-op, leaseholders are expected to pitch in and help with various tasks around the park, but, this keeps the costs down. When we aren't at our spot, it is rented out and we get credit towards our maintenance and operating expenses.

We have found it beneficial to have a lot as a basecamp. The lot also has a large storage shed on it that allows us to keep lawn furniture, bikes, etc. in it and we don't have to drag that stuff out from MI every winter. It also allows us to come and go as we like because we still like to travel to various places in CA and AZ every winter.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
There are both advantages and disadvantages to parking your AS in one place.
One advantage is your tires last forever. A disadvantage is that you have to keep a weed whacker handy to keep the weeds from growing out from under your trailer. A rolling stone gathers no moss sort of thing.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
They both are on the ocean but are pricey (imho) at $149k and $160k, respectively.
Crikey! I could buy land and build a 30-site RV park for that kind of money!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
The only place I stay for more than 3 days is my own driveway. And Im not to thrilled with that. Sal.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Lots of Lots

I almost didn't take the time to respond to this post. I am leaving in about an hour to return to the property we purchased in Florida.

Expensive? Yes, I suppose it is. We paid $100k for the lot but we own it. Along with the monthly upkeep and maintenance fees. Is it worth it? In my mind, yes!

We had our Airstream on the road for the last several years and considered purchases in Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Texas. What made the difference was the people we met in Florida. Don't get me wrong the park is great, palm trees, amenities and weather, but what made the difference was the people we met there.

Consider all the options. You will know what is right for you when the right place comes along.

Corky
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Crikey! I could buy land and build a 30-site RV park for that kind of money!
That price is not unheard of in Florida. The first sites sold were in the $14K range and people thought that was incredible. Then, as more and more Baby Boomer Snowbirds started filling the campgrounds for the winter the prices started to climb and now start around $90K and go up from there. If you own a nice new Prevost or Newell, $150K is just an incidental cost to ensure that you have a campsite all winter without having to move every couple of weeks. Plus, you get to add the amenities that you want not what the management thinks would make your stay more attractive. You kind of have to look at it as a rolling luxury condo or portable Florida winter home.

There is also an ownership campground in the FL Keys where water front sites (there are only a handful of "beaches" in the Keys) will run up to $200K. There are other very posh ownership campgrounds in the Sarasota area where fully tricked out sites can run $250K or more...of course these are motor home only parks.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstar View Post
I almost didn't take the time to respond to this post. I am leaving in about an hour to return to the property we purchased in Florida.

Expensive? Yes, I suppose it is. We paid $100k for the lot but we own it. Along with the monthly upkeep and maintenance fees. Is it worth it? In my mind, yes!

We had our Airstream on the road for the last several years and considered purchases in Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Texas. What made the difference was the people we met in Florida. Don't get me wrong the park is great, palm trees, amenities and weather, but what made the difference was the people we met there.

Consider all the options. You will know what is right for you when the right place comes along.

Corky
Wow! No great people in those other states?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Wow! No great people in those other states?
In mho, the people are from those other states. Also, the people in Fl. are probably from those other states. Sal.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
What time of year and how many days per year would you spend in a space that you own?

Do you intend to do some traveling or just stay put?
If we had a spot where I'm thinking about (ocean) then we'd just go to the same place and leave the rig there all summer. DH talks 'big' about traveling around more but he isn't totally comfortable with it. We need a bigger trailer and a bigger tv before we do anything, tho'.