Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Buffalo to Pocono Best Route

Headed to Pocono in a few weeks, leaving from Canada and crossing to Buffalo, any recommendations on the best route?

Google Maps shows either 90 east to Syracuse then 81 south,
or 90 east to 390/86 through corning then picking up 81 south.

I've driven 390/86 many times going to Watkins Glen and it's a really nice road but I've not been past Elmira.

Any recommendations
Also any good spots to stop for lunch along the way?

Thanks!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Adrock

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Buffalo , New York
Good pizza in corning

There is a great pizza place on the Main Street of Corning ny. Also you can leave trailer by Corning glass museum. The museum is worth checking out. Kids under 17 are free.
Adam2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2026 View Post
There is a great pizza place on the Main Street of Corning ny. Also you can leave trailer by Corning glass museum. The museum is worth checking out. Kids under 17 are free.

Thanks for the recommendation, we love Corning and I'll be going there in August with the wife and kids. The pocono trip is for me and my dad for the NASCAR race [emoji469]
Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I've driven 390/86 many times going to Watkins Glen and it's a really nice road but I've not been past Elmira.

Pretty much the same past Elmira. I drive this route a lot from rochester to north NJ. Ongoing construction in Binghamton try to hit it mid day. Scranton can be a real pain at rush hour.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I used to live in Buffalo and my parents are both from Scranton, PA and still live in the Poconos. We happened to drive that route with the AS in tow in early June this year... about 6 weeks ago... after some urban camping in Buffalo (our dearest friends there let us park in their driveway) followed by a visit to my folks.

After years of driving that, I finally settled on I-90 west to NY400 then NY20A east to I-390/86 then I-81 south. That's the route we took recently, mostly for sentimental reasons.

I would rate that route as "challenging". 20A has some significant grades up and down (it's prohibited for trucks over 18,000 pounds due to grades near Warsaw, NY). The roadway across the souther tier from roughly Corning to Elmira was among the roughest stretches of interstate we've driven (residents of Louisiana beware... New York is closing in on your previously unchallenged claim to the title "the washboard state") and there is construction in stretches throughout NY and Pennsylvania. Oh... and I-81 south in Pennsylvania is the only place in 30,000+ miles and 33 states with the Airstream where the Waze app has given us a "pothole alert"... and it was warranted all three times it warned us.

I can't speak for the I-90 to I-81 route and I wouldn't discourage use of the route above if those challenges sound manageable to you. We frequently seek out roads like 20A because they offer a more interesting and intimate view of the country than most interstates. Corning, Elmira and other towns along that route are great reminders of the roots and history of America, too.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
The roadway across the souther tier from roughly Corning to Elmira was among the roughest stretches of interstate we've driven (residents of Louisiana beware... New York is closing in on your previously unchallenged claim to the title "the washboard state") and there is construction in stretches throughout NY and Pennsylvania. Oh... and I-81 south in Pennsylvania is the only place in 30,000+ miles and 33 states with the Airstream where the Waze app has given us a "pothole alert"... and it was warranted all three times it warned us.

I can't speak for the I-90 to I-81 route and I wouldn't discourage use of the route above if those challenges sound manageable to you. We frequently seek out roads like 20A because they offer a more interesting and intimate view of the country than most interstates. Corning, Elmira and other towns along that route are great reminders of the roots and history of America, too.
Darn I was hoping someone would say that road got smoother, I haven't been back home in a few years and that's what I remember the road is rough. But do go see the Steuben Glass factory in the Corning Glass Museum if possible.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Absolutely worth a day-long visit. Fascinating museum as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I don't have a map handy, but I took the route that parallels the Susquehanna. I don't remember any unpleasant grades - seemed to me to be less up-and-down than I-81.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

2015 22' FB Sport
Wilmington , Delaware
Pocono Race weekend

When your at the race in the Poconos I recommend staying at Peaceful Woodlands' family campground. Its about 2 mile from the track. We keep our 22 foot sport there for the season when we're not on the road. Nick, and Dennis are great hosts. Unfortunately my wife and I will be in Cooperstown at the Baseball hall of Fame that weekend. Tell the owns that Dave and Debbie sent you.
Andersondr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I just drove up 81 to Scranton. Yes, it's rough, but I didn't think it was the worst I've been on. Certainly 90 to 81 is the most efficient interstate route.

Central PA is full of lots of interesting things. If it were me and I had time on my hands, I'd plot as straight a line as I could, and I'd take every little byway that that entailed.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, there is no town of Pocono.
Highway I-80 goes very close to the track. Near the town of Blakesley. Be aware that traffic can be snarled after the race, be patient.
We found that many of the small lakes have good eateries for the people who have summer homes there. But the roads are very curvy.
Not many chain fast food places, the Poconos are lost in the 80's.
Don't be surprised to see a bear crossing the road in heavy traffic.
Don't be surprised to see fog in the morning, like can't see 50' fog.
For those of you who are interested, the track owner installed a giant solar farm across the road. The track also lays claim to the world's longest bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100808_inq_pocono08-d.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	290152  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersondr1 View Post
When your at the race in the Poconos I recommend staying at Peaceful Woodlands' family campground. Its about 2 mile from the track. We keep our 22 foot sport there for the season when we're not on the road. Nick, and Dennis are great hosts. Unfortunately my wife and I will be in Cooperstown at the Baseball hall of Fame that weekend. Tell the owns that Dave and Debbie sent you.

Thanks for the recommendation, were staying at the track this time but I'll keep peaceful woodlands in mind for a trip with the wife and kids
Old 07-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I just drove up 81 to Scranton. Yes, it's rough, but I didn't think it was the worst I've been on. Certainly 90 to 81 is the most efficient interstate route.

Central PA is full of lots of interesting things. If it were me and I had time on my hands, I'd plot as straight a line as I could, and I'd take every little byway that that entailed.

Thanks, I think that's the way to go for this trip, not a lot of time for sightseeing this time.

We love travelling in PA and we never fail to discover something great and unexpected.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
First, there is no town of Pocono.
Highway I-80 goes very close to the track. Near the town of Blakesley. Be aware that traffic can be snarled after the race, be patient.
We found that many of the small lakes have good eateries for the people who have summer homes there. But the roads are very curvy.
Not many chain fast food places, the Poconos are lost in the 80's.
Don't be surprised to see a bear crossing the road in heavy traffic.
Don't be surprised to see fog in the morning, like can't see 50' fog.
For those of you who are interested, the track owner installed a giant solar farm across the road. The track also lays claim to the world's longest bathroom.

Thanks for the advice, we learned years ago to stay at the track after spending 4 hours in the truck to travel 6 miles to a track from a campground that charged us $100/night for electric only.

Really excited to see the Pocono track,
We've been to Daytona, New Hampshire, and Watkins Glen.
they're all different and all exciting!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
Really excited to see the Pocono track,
We've been to Daytona, New Hampshire, and Watkins Glen.
they're all different and all exciting!
Indeed. The Pocono track has plenty of camping spaces. The infield is never full, and it's calmed down a lot from the old days.
(Pocono Posse)
The owner was a doctor, and this track was his only facility.
He certainly did things his way. Behind Long Pond straight is a forest, there used to be deer running across the track until they installed the Jurassic fence.
The short straight has campers, and all the grandstands are on the main stretch.
You're wise to stay at the track, because the parking lot empties out onto two small roads, traffic gets snarled.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, were staying at the track this time
Well, you had great weather for a race.
I was surprised to see a mention (and a blimp shot) about 19 Airstreams in a circle in the infield. Looked like fun.